Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Bath – Brown's Folly (aka Sally in the Woods) – Under attack from local Tories..
  • dudeofdoom

TBH reading this and other issues on here people seem to have with forests and woodlands access…isn’t there a national association of mtb’ers that would stop the nonsense or there should be.

A lot of us are actualy old but we seem to be treated like five year olds with the can’t ride here brigade when we should be actively working with the other groups to allow the countryside to be enjoyed by all.

neilthewheel

imba uk collapsed. CTC was meant to be developing its mtb advocacy but iirc recently got rid of its off-road officer.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/streets-and-highway-maintenance/public-rights-way/local-access-forum

Local Access Forum is the best way to get user groups working together although each one works differently, you can even apply to join (in 2016!)

Andrew Gough

]Membership Category: User interests
    Andrew is a member of the Bristol Cycling Campaign and has an interest in removing barriers to access.

you need to engage him to pick up on the issue

nedrapier

A lot of us are actually old but we seem to be treated like five year olds

I think that’s a huge part of the anti-cycling sentiment that people have noticed in this country, both on road and off.

There’s no “joie de vivre” (note that we have to go to French for that one!) People get old because they stop playing. They think being an adult, they should put childish things away so they do. And they look down on adults having fun on bicycles as being childish, and so a target for reprimand.

I don’t know what the root cause is? Protestant work ethic?

A spin to 16:45 in this might give some people a different perspective on cycling:

ninfan
    Free Member

Given Malcolm’s determined and vociferous concern over conflict on the trails, I’d be interested to hear his opinion on this:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/appeal-help-after-dog-hurt-7959512

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair, some of us do like to pretend we’re five year olds 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Applauds STW and Ninfan in particular

Ditto that 😀

As I said in my OP, I’ve not been on the Forum for ages (as my Posting history might reveal it’s been a tough couple of years!!)

Yes, Malcolm will no doubt be back and will no doubt pick this thread apart to see what he can use for his next Bath Mercury “article” against us but I think this thread demonstrates admirably what STW and mountain biking in the UK is all about. You are stars. Thanks 😀

Oh, and Malcolms claim that “if elected” he would campaign to have a trail built somewhere nearby – oh how I laughed at that one. Do I believe it? I’d like to but I’ve seen too many years of his Tory Chums spending nothing on cycling when they were in power and, like I said, pouring scorn on any plans by the LibDem run Council to do so.. Yes, sadly this is very much party political whether we like it or not. The LibDem run Council has delivered some fantastic cycling projects (The Two Tunnels being one). As if to demonstrate the point admirably, here’s the latest article from Malcolm’s Mouthpiece (aka the Bath Mercury) calling upon the Council to defer the building of the (much need) link off the Bristol-Bath Railway Path to Bath Spa University. (Malcolm will no doubt claim “We support it” “just not now”)..

http://www.bathmercury.com/traffic-fears-a4-roadworks/

neilthewheel

Malcolms claim that “if elected” he would campaign to have a trail built somewhere nearby

And if a trail were to be built, how long would it be before it was used as a stick to beat riders who prefer to ride in the “real” countryside?

llama

No evidence of conflict. If anything those videos show the opposite.

No evidence of damage. The recent NE report mentions nothing.

Is anything more than self promotion by mcupis?

Coyote
    Free Member

Applause to ninfan for well reasoned and researched arguments.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m not local but currently live in shouting distance of the Peaks, where similar issues are bubbling.

I’ve also lived in the countryside on a farm and had to deal with walkers claiming an out of date map showing a footpath that was diverted over a decade ago makes it ok that they’re in looking in my kitchen window.

I’m going to play devils advocate here. I’m not convinced that mcupis is being totally unreasonable.

Shared use is a worthy goal.

That means no parties of walkers obstructing any passage by other users just as much as it does that riding fast may not always be appropriate. And then there’s the group rides. Ten to twenty stravassholes out for a group ride are going to spoil anyone’s day much more than a similar number of pootlers although the numbers may be similar.

I’m a fan of small groups and respectful use, which includes not riding at people, not swearing at them, thanking them for letting me by and not getting shouted at about the bell I don’t have and refuse to carry. On the dogs point, and I have three border collies, most places “in the countryside” they should be on leads unless they’re actually working sheepdogs – for their safety as well as everyone else’s.

vincienup
    Free Member

Also agree however that it wouldn’t be the first time that the existence of a bad but legal ‘mountainbike trail’ has been used to argue against access elsewhere.

Really, Access laws in this country are a bit mad, but as none of the interest groups seem able to grow up and accept that sharing is ok, it’s not that much of a surprise.

mcupis
    Free Member

I met four members of Folly Flyers at the folly on a walk this morning. First thing to say is that they were all behaving in a considerate manner. They were cycling at a sensible speed on one of the worst sections – where the path is very narrow, extremely uneven, the surface has been worn away to expose the bedrock and this is very, very slippery to walk on. All four came to a complete stop when they saw my wife and I approaching with our dogs and moved their bikes off the path. We then had a chat and all four were friendly, warm and reasonable. I explained who I was and we shook hands and talked about the issue. They know that they shouldn’t be there. I know why they want to be. As I have said before, I don’t have a problem sharing the path with considerate, careful cyclists, although I am concerned about the damage being done to the surface at this specific point and we did dicuss this. From my point of view I felt that I met good people this morning who were careful and considerate and I don’t see why any reasonable person would be worried about this. I am sorry that the activities of careful and considerate people like these may be adversely affected by a minority of fools who don’t display the same levels of behaviour, and that is the same in all walks of life.

martinhutch

I don’t think anyone is going to argue with the sentiment you’ve expressed there. Anyone who rides aggressively on a narrow shared path with no regard for the safety of pedestrians is a selfish fool.

However, your encounter today hopefully has planted the seed that the majority of mountain bikers are the reverse of this, and I’m glad you can see the possibility that these paths can be shared in future with little conflict.

Attempting to enforce a blanket ban will simply remove the opportunity for the kind of dialogue that helps this along, and won’t deter the type of rider who causes all the problems.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Bath – Brown's Folly (aka Sally in the Woods) – Under attack from local Tories..’ is closed to new replies.