Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bass guitars
  • Amos
    Free Member

Would like to try and learn the bass guitar, thought I'd start by using a You Tube tutorial for the basics. I don't however have a guitar as yet, my question is what do I buy!? What should I be looking for? Baring in mind I'm now broke after buying a new frame so something cheap is good
    Cheers Mat

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Go to several shops and play all the guitars you can afford. Some will feel weird and cumbersome and some will feel very comfortable. Buy one of the comfortable ones. Then practice as much as you can; first thing in the morning being the best time.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Simple reliable passive 4 string with an amp with a decent speaker.

I'd suggest something like Roland cube bass combo rather than the scrottier end of the market. It's no fun playing bass unless you here some bass.

My 14 year old is becoming quite a good bass player and has learnt on a Yamaha RBX 170 off ebay.

If you get the bug you can then go 5 string/fretless/active etc.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Fender Squier Precision?
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-affinity-p-bass/3820

I've got an AXL p-bass copy, cost me £130, not bad quality, sounds ok but a bit heavy at the headstock end

Northwind

The Roland Cube is a cool wee thing, a mate of mine has one of those. Way more appropriate than the carlsbro thing I had, though it was quite good at getting things down off high shelves.

I reckon, unless things have come on a bit, this is still one of the best for a noob…

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-standard-p-bass-special/3822

OK, it's not actually cheap but it's not so much more than a squier affinity or similiar and is better made, but also much more flexible, which is a good thing for a new player as it can inspire a bit more. I miss mine, it was british racing green, and therefore awesome.

I had a mexi Fender P-bass after it which was better, and really quite lovely, but lacked the versatility. Then had a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Premium which was ace, but somehow didn't quite catch my imagination the same Gave up the bass entirely eventually just because of lack of funds but if I could have either of those 3 back it'd be that Squier.

toys19
    Free Member

I've got a very good nick Westone thunder 1 a I'm selling. Email in profile.

lodious
    Free Member

Westones are nice basses, that would be a good buy IMHO.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Indeed – I have a Thunder 2 that has been converted to fretless. But they are 25 years+ old, and you can have electronics problems with them, and they are a bit neck heavy. Lovely wood though. Not sure they are the best beginners one, and you might do better with a straightforward P bass or PJ copy. Or a cheaper ibanez.

DezB
    Free Member

If you get the bug you can then go 5 string/fretless/active

Why? is it the 80s?

(Dezb – 80s bass player 😉 )

grumm
    Free Member

Yamaha's cheap basses are excellent IMO. Very light and easy to play.

Duffer
    Free Member

A couple of years ago i bought a Peavey Milestone 3, brand new from the 'bay for the princely sum of £40. It's proably just about the worst bass money can buy, but i only bought it to see if i would get the bug.

Unfortunately, due to other commitments (work, family, MTB…) i've never had time to take formal lessons. I still want to though.

meehaja
    Free Member

My first Bass was a fretless Encore, which is fun. Mind you, I had the benefit of coming from a background of playing guitar, so at least Ihad some idea of what i was doing! Plenty of cheap cheap basses on Ebay, I'd be tempted to get a cheapy one and a decent amp, then trade up to a better guitar when you're ready?

ourmaninthenorth

I tried playing when I was in my late tens, and found myself in an exceedingly bad garage band. But exceedingly good fun as well..!

Sold the guitar (can't even remember what it was – nicer than a squire though) and amp (marshall, natch) ages ago. Though I had no talent, I'd love to try to learn again.

chiefgrooveguru

Have a look through the classifieds on here to see if anyone's selling a starter pack cheap: http://basschat.co.uk/

Otherwise just get a cheap bass and amp and get playing! If you buy them from a shop and there's a few to choose from, choose the bass that has the loudest sound unplugged (find a quiet corner to ascertain this) and has the most similar tone and loudness across the open strings. That's a good indication of the real tone of the instrument, without the cheap pickups and amp hiding it. If you get lucky some cheap basses can sound as good as £1000+ ones after a pickup swap. Find some people to jam with or join a band as soon as you can, bass isn't (much of) a solo instrument!

Amos
    Free Member

Toys19 YGM

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheap amps are really quiet mind. I went out to buy one but the only ones that could play above talking volume were £150… Unlike £30 guitar amps which can make a lot of noise.

Amos
    Free Member

I'll be using headphones for a bit TBH or my missus and nipper will be sent around the bend!

toys19
    Free Member

Cheap amps are really quiet mind. I went out to buy one but the only ones that could play above talking volume were £150… Unlike £30 guitar amps which can make a lot of noise.

Nahhhhh I've got a washburn bd30 which I paid 89 quid for new, the neighbours often remind me to calm down when I'm playing.

chiefgrooveguru

Headphones are good, especially if you can mix in the CD/MP3 you're playing along with.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

[shameless plug]If you're after anything with a bit of bling then I'll soon be putting my Musicman Stingray up for sale. I don't play anymore so i'd rather it got some use rather then sitting in a cupboard.[/shameless plug] 😉 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Mulletus maximus how much? I really don't need any more guitars but a stingray is a stingray…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

toys19, YGM

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stingray – nice!

Not much if a clue myself but dad is an ex pro bass player and has a lovely collection of mostly Fenders. And a trick looking amp with blue lit valve that weighs about 6 tonnes (it seems).

MtbRoutes

Can't go wrong with a low-end Yamaha. Great basses for the money.

Northwind

I always wanted a Stingray, lovely…

toys19
    Free Member

northwind still up for grabs I think

thekingisdead
    Free Member

learn the guitar first…..will make learning bass soooooo much easier.
    Bass is a harder beast to master IMO….

Amos
    Free Member

That's me buggered them only got to learn wonderwall on guitar due to my fingers resembling pigs tits! Hence going for bass and I love the sound of course

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

due to my fingers resembling pigs tits!

😆 😆

Northwind

Bass is harder to master but it's easier to get the basics together. IMO of course but there are plenty of gigging bass players who have only the most basic skills (I was one of them).

Amos
    Free Member

You mean I won't instantly be playing bass like flea! Dammit!

john_drummer
    Free Member

there are plenty of gigging bass players who have only the most basic skills

Sid Vicious was another. In fact, he didn't even have the basics 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Learn the guitar first?!!! No, just get a bass and start grooving. If you have a decent sense of time and can feel the groove then you could be blagging it in a band playing simple 1/8 and 1/4 roots within weeks. As with all instruments it'll take a lifetime to master. I started out learning Nirvana (loud bass = good), Metallica and suchlike but within a few months I took on the Chilis and BSSM is the only album I've learnt from start to finish. It was bass playing and bands (and the theft of my old Muddy Fox) that took me away from MTBing for so many years, coming back at least I rarely suffer arm pump!

Remember, it might look like a guitar but it's main function is like a double bass, tuba or organ pedals – and one the keys to playing bass well is understanding those curious creatures that play the drums.

If you need any help just ask, I've done my 10,000 hours and then some! And have a disturbing amount of gear knowledge filling my brain…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dad never played a "normal" guitar – just learned by ear.

He taught Phil Lynott to play guitar and still teaches and gigs aged almost 60!

john_drummer
    Free Member

We're not that hard to understand 😉

Surf-mat – why do I find your tall tales hard to believe?

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah I would say don't bother with the learning the guitar first thing before bass, waste of life if you do not want to learn guitar..They are different instruments.

I find that getting bas tab transcriptions off the net, and playing along to my fave stuff is the best way to have fun, and learn. Then back that up with a few technique books and you will be enjoying your bass in no time.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

John – why do I find comments like yours always come from lifes moaners? Can provide plenty of proof but tbh, I can't be ar5ed. Sorry if your drumming career never took off though…

toys19
    Free Member

Surf-Mat, I believe you but would like to see the proof out of interest. Big Lizzy fan here.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Toys – see that's shared enthusiasm not some bitter sniping.

He was the bass player for a while in a band called Arrival, although most of his career was session stuff. Also played in a band called TOAD (and some others). When Thin Lizzy first toured, it was in support of Arrival – at this time Dad was the bass player but eventually left for pastures new.

Phil knew my mum first (from school I think but not certain) but soon became good friends with my Dad too. They were really close mates and I remember the devastation in our house when he died.

Feel free to google, check wikipedia, etc – all the band stuff on there. Also got some prints of Thin Lizzy's early tour posters – when they supported Arrival.

Dad still plays in a local band and has had about 30 gigs so far this year – low key stuff but they always get people dancing!

Any more info – happy to email but not post up here.

Are you in the email group/club that the Swedish guy Peter Nielsen (I think) has set up? He's got some cracking information about Thin Lizzy – happy to put you in touch if not.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ooh, touchy 😉

My drumming career never took off because I chose to concentrate on something that would actually pay the bills – the last band I was in would never have made the big time & I was realistic enough to admit this

20 years on, I'm doing this for fun, so I don't need your pity

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bass guitars’ is closed to new replies.