Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Basque MTB
  • GTS

Well we had a great week and really used our Mountain Bikes, maybe for the first time, to our limits. I have ridden Scotland, The English Lakes, Trail Centres, Cuba, Laos, Cambodia etc etc but nothing comes close to challenging these excellent guided rides in the Pyrenees. If you’re thinking of going abroad with your MTB and want to test your abilities AND see a bit of the local culture look no further.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Doug is a top guide. I’d recommend to anyone

Just can’t find the time to get back there

rogerthecat
    Free Member

was expecting kinky am dissapoint. 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

our second trip in a couple of months, can’t wait!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@slowoldman that’s just disgusting, they are all riding road bikes!!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey GTS, thanks a lot for the kind words. I don’t know your user name but I guess you were the guys last week who “were doing so well”! It was great fun guiding you, thanks for making it an exceptionally fun week for Antonio and I.

Orangeboy, we will still be here! Not planning doing anything else 🙂 Onzadog, looking forward to your trip. We have some cool new stuff lined up for you guys.

All my “review” threads disintegrate into panty jokes. It makes me sad 😉

oxym0r0n

Think I might be there at the same time as you onzadog? 😀

doug_basqueMTB.com

First week in Aug? Oh dear, I’ve never had two Stw’ers at once. This must be what it feels like to have hit the big time 😉

oxym0r0n

Ha ha! Yes Doug – make that 3 with “thegingerone”
    You could probably retire and rest on your laurels after this season then 😉

TheGingerOne

That’s me that is 😀

Really looking forward to it already – no pressure 😉

doug_basqueMTB.com

Looking forward to it already! I have a few things planned, should be fun 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Just over a month to wait for me and the wife. Seriously can’t wait!!!

The photos on Facebook are always epic and Doug’s been nothing but a true gent on the emails :0)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Guys, if it’s the same week (2nd to 9th August) then I’m bringing two other stwers with me, redwoods and missnotax.

oxym0r0n

Stw love in then 😉

redwoods
    Free Member

Where are you flying from Oxy? We three will be arriving at Bilbao at 10am on the Stansted flight 8)

oxym0r0n

Stansted for us too…

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Stw love in then

Me and her are also there the first week of August. Saturday Stanstead flight as well.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Any of you guys South West?

Mind PM’ing me if so?

missnotax
    Free Member

Eh?! So just how many of us will be on our hols with BasqueMTB the first week of August then?!

Doug – I hope you’re ready for this!!! 😉

timnwild

Fellas – the food in Hondoribbia is AMAZING. Guiding’s OK too. Loved my week with Doug – have fun.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well jel

redwoods
    Free Member

BigDummy are you out 2-9th August week as well?

We’re coming from Nottingham to Stansted so not really going to be of any help to you I don’t think!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Stop talking about this. I’m not going until October.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Simon, you must be mistaken. It seems the stw week is first week in August.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

We’re coming from Nottingham to Stansted

Yep I can put a tick in that box to!

missnotax
    Free Member

So that’s 8 of us? All from STW?!!!

Crikey 😀

simonhbacon
    Free Member

I was thinking of heading that way later in the year. (Partly so I can eat in San Sebastian again.)

mattrgee
    Free Member

I do fancy doing some biking abroad, even got the bike bags from Planet X when they were mispriced on offer.

However, I don’t particuarly want reallytechnical riding just dry trails, good scenery and some flow. I’m guessing this might be difficult in large groups?

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’m off out there again in two weeks

Northwind

mattrgee – Member

However, I don’t particuarly want reallytechnical riding just dry trails, good scenery and some flow. I’m guessing this might be difficult in large groups?

A Quick Release might work for you- it’s pedalled rather than uplifted, mind. There is some fairly technical stuff but from memory you’re talking uk black route rather than Alpine Madness ™. Some brilliant riding they have down there, I’ve not gone back just because of the lack of uplifts but it was still ace.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mattrgee, don’t discount BasqueMTB too quickly. Drop Doug a line and tell him what you’re after and see if he has a week planned at that level. 3 of us booked our week a good while back and I just know Doug sounded everyone out to be after similar things.

For example, the group that followed us out last year couldn’t have been more different.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As above – talk to the companies and tell them what you want. AQR will split groups if there are different abilities. Doug has a policy of not mixing groups of people unless they’ve been before and he knows their riding.

Weather’s not a certainty anywhere, especially once you get into the mountains. We’ve had some impressive downpours in Luchon in mid-summer (and when a storm comes in you want to be off the hills – I remember Matt Hart doing a massive descent and few miles on road on a flat back tyre to get home ahead of a storm).

Doug’s bit of the Basque coast gets a *lot* of rain but if it’s wet you ride on the other side of the hills (and the other trails dry quickly). If you want really dry you need to go beyond Europe – not much rain in South Africa in their summer…..

oxym0r0n

Bigdummy – will pm – might be able to work something out… Hope I’m not going to be underbiked :-S

booktownman
    Free Member

Took two lads out in the Black Mountains today who were riding with Doug & Ed last season and loved it. They mentioned our final ridge descent reminded them of Basque country, so if you can’t afford Spanish Spain, come to Welsh Wales!

Cheers!

BTM

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks all, will speak to Doug when the time comes and will also check out AQR.

*Apologies for the minor hijack btw*

Onzadog
    Free Member

So what bikes are people taking for the stw week?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m torn between the hardcore hardtail and the 6″ bouncer I took last year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Double tap.

TheGingerOne

Yeti ArcC 1×10 29er – the perfect bike for all my mountain biking exploits (being my only mtb) 🙂

It’s all about the rider!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Basque MTB’ is closed to new replies.