Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Basic web editing software.
  • Shakey
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a bit of software which can make basic textual changes to websites. It should be easy to use and ideally include an FTP interface. Lastly, it needs to be cheap so no prizes for suggesting Contribute or Dreamweaver!.

vrapan
    Free Member

Notepad++ ? No FTP I am afraid but nice text editor for HTML/PHP/any other language editing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ironside7000
    Free Member

I use KompoZer.

Kompozer

It is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management (inc FTP) and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.

Try the stable version (0.7.10 (2007-08-30)rather than the development one.

Hope this helps.

Shakey
    Free Member

Thats good but I forgot to mention that it should ideally be a design view style editor and not code.

I don't mind paying for an editor just not the sort of money that Dreamweaver costs!

spacemonkey

Depends what kind of site you want to build. If you want to focus on content management, blogs, forums, etc, then look at Joomla and WordPress plus various widgets/plugins.

A basic install of WP is pretty limiting, but if you get your own domain and then buy a professional template then you can do all kinds of funky stuff.

Can't comment on many other editors cos I don't really use them these days.

what_tyres
    Free Member
    Lionheart
    Free Member

plus one here for Komposer, works well for revising/updating our Dreamweaver produced site. We have created in Komposer and that was OK

ajf
    Free Member

Been using aptana recently and that is very good! Aptana built in ftp and based on eclipse IDE so loads of different plugins should the mood take you.

Tried all others mentioned but do prefer this, especially as it is available on all platforms.

edit: no wysiwyg editor though so maybe not right for you. Only code view

redthunder
    Free Member

+1 Komposer

joemarshall
    Free Member

Don't do it.

Get a host with WordPress (or joomla or another similar content management system) on it. Even if you have a bit of existing content already, it'll take you less time overall to put the existing content into a content management system (CMS) than to update html pages on a regular basis.

Once you have the site in wordpress or joomla, you can do the sort of basic editing that you want to do just on the website itself. Only a sucker makes a website without a CMS nowadays, writing HTML is slower, more prone to errors and inconsistencies, and generally makes something that doesn't look as good either. Updating my old html site took usually an hour, nowadays with wordpress I find an update takes about 15 minutes at most.

Joe

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Basic web editing software.’ is closed to new replies.