Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Basic tyre question (what size?)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Please excuse the basic question here. I have not changed my tyres since I bought my bike several years ago. 😳 Then went for a ride last week with Jambalaya and he laughed at the lack of tread, especially on the rear tyre. So that was why I was having grip problems recently- bald tyres?

So very basic question. Old tyres are Bontrager ACX 26 x 2.1. How do I know if 2.25 (or bigger tyres) would fit my bike. No info on Trek website. I guess I could just ask LBS but their tyres are about 25% more than wiggle at the moment!

Are most bikes capable of handling 2.1, 2.25 and even bigger?

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah.

Judging by your name I guess you live very close to me. I have a box of unfitted tyres sizes up to 2.5 if you want to borrow to test before you buy.

poly
    Free Member

Can you not tell just by looking at (and if you are really unsure measuring) the clearance in the frame?

Sam

more than likely 2.25″ will fit – very few frames produced nowadays won’t take that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Matt, very kind offer in particular, thank you. As poly suggested just had a quick look at the bike and like most Treks there is loads of clearance. So looks like the choice is easy.

Thanks again. TH 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

You should be OK, it would be a tightest of tight frames that wouldn’t take a 2.25.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am so naive when it comes to MTBs!!

So decided to try two types of tyre – nobby niks and racing ralphs. Thought, ouch those are expensive but WTH, lets try both. Excited when wiggle delivery came today. Took both wheels off, removed the tyres and opened the nice box from Schwabe. WTF – that much for ONE tyre!!!!!!

I thought at least that was for two. So what now, send the RR back and wait for the other NN. Mix them (heard that RR are better on back than front). Or juts but another NN and keep the RR.

aaarrght – lesson learned. Go to LBS when you are as stupid as me!!!

soobalias
    Free Member

stick the faster one on the back and pump it up a little harder.

buy your tyres from nextdaytyres or hunt out the bargains, my recent ralphs came from on one.

muckytee
    Free Member

I have a 2.35 kenda (damn big) at the rear of my Genesis core 40 and there is still mud clearance. Can’t say the same for the front, a 2.35 kenda fits in my recon fork, not much clearance though.

chiefgrooveguru

Put the NN on the front and the RR on the back – should work very well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Basic tyre question (what size?)’ is closed to new replies.