• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ski.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Basic Question – SRAM Speed Link
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Ok this should be easy….but I’m struggling!

I’ve watched vids on YouTube of folk effortlessly removing SRAM speed links with only a pinch of the fingers, I’ve tried & tried and can not do it….any suggestions for help?

Only thing to not is its a old chain on a mates bike, bit of rust but I’ve dw40’d it.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

They can be difficult on a dirty chain so ditto or worse on a rusty one i guess, carefully with pliers?

jota180
    Free Member

Think about what you need to do

The plates need to be squeezed together with one hand (left usually) whilst the other pushes the link together

The left hand also holds in place the left hand pin of the link, you only need to move one side of it
    Don’t try to push both together, just push the rh one in

Mikkel
    Free Member

Its the squeezing together that is the important part, i always forget that and struggle, then the moment i remember they need to be squeezed together they come of instantly.

nwill1
    Free Member

Haha, cheers for the advice, I don’t think it was me it was knackered got some pliers & just snapped the bugger…it was going in the bin anyway!

montylikesbeer

I keep a micro pair of long nose pliers in my back pack for such an occasion

andyl
    Free Member

install and remove a new link a few times before you use it.

Then it should be easy.

Also regularly remove the chain via the link for cleaning. If you don’t use it regularly it will jam up.

ski
    Free Member

I find if grit gets into the link it stops you from them sliding when you compress them

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Basic Question – SRAM Speed Link’ is closed to new replies.