• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bashguards – Are they worth it?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

I'm running 2 x 9 now, and was noticing a lot of people who do that run a bashguard. Are they really worth it? I'll be running 26-38. I've never bashed a chainring, but I've also never bent a mech hanger. Still carry a spare one though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have one. It's a confidence thing IMO.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't bother on my solo. With the extra ground clearance with no big ring I have never hit it.

I have 3 on the tandem and bash the hell out of them tho 🙂

Kahurangi

Current bike has a triple up front. Moved it on to a new frame, had a right good scrubs and close look when it was on.

Lots of bent teeth, a couple where I'm glad a spotted it as the chain would have been damaged or even derailed. Lots of other teeth knocked over on the top from smaller impacts where I had to bend them back and file them.

So yes, next bike will have 22,36,bashguard – to save me running a broken big (expensive) ring.

RealMan
    Free Member

Are they a right pain in the winter, trapping all the mud between the chainrings? Or do they actually stop the mud getting in at all?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

save me running a broken big (expensive) ring.

same choice I made. The TranceX has a lowish BB and I was wrecking the big ring.

CountZero

I bent teeth on my old 'dale SuperVee a number of times through large plate-sized stones flicking up when I rode over them, one jammed under the bike and lifted the back wheel a foot off the ground and put a dent in the bottom of the main tube as well as bending three teeth right over, and my on my old Hummer I bent teeth on the big ring several times, so when I put all the bits on my Inbred 567 I put a 36t ring on with a RF bash ring on, and judging by the impact marks on it it's probably saved the chain from being bent out of shape. Mine has certainly worked, and I don't even ride really challenging stuff, just where there's lots of large loose stones that fly up when you hit them at speed, and you can see the impact marks on the 'bred's downtube, too.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I like to have the big ring. More gear choice, you lose the odd tooth but it's well worth it for me. I have had bash guards on the DH bike but only to keep the chain on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the most convincing argument I have heard is that they stop the big ring cutting into you in a crash.

I think most folk use them cos they look good. Sure your big ring can get damaged but I've never seen one so bad it wouldn't work or couldn't be repaired.

trailmonkey

the most convincing argument I have heard is that they stop the big ring cutting into you in a crash.

Absolutely. shinythings may be along soon with pictorial evidence of his big ring trying to saw his foot off at the ankle.
    Apart from that, I suppose it depends on the terrain that you ride. 2 ring/bash is ideal for Dartmoor because we spend so much time boulder hopping. You soon get fed up of grounding out the big ring.

*awaits trail god to appear with news that talented riders will avoid the boulders anyway*

tootallpaul

Purely cos it looks nice…

🙂

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Those dark cycles bash rings bend really really easily. You'd be better off with an old big ring with all the teeth filed off.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think most folk use them cos they look good

I certainly don't, mine looks dull whereas my raceface big ring looks quite good. That dark cycles one looks good tho…mmmm

tootallpaul

I'd like to try to bend my dark bashring. It's 5mm thick, weighty, and not flexible at all.

But as I said, its purely cos it looks nice. Never been hit by anything, and unlikely to…

mudhound
    Free Member

run a e13 plastic bashring instead of third big ring gear on Dialled alpine – good for confidence if do roll a bit too slow over new drops etc – slides over stuff if I do connect

use on winter bike and reckon keeps chain clearner up front – a bit harder cleaning but no issues

flat pedals and bash ring also make pub rides so much easier

and I'd agree on crash protection as mate has a nice straight line! chain oil tattoo running for 6 ins down his left leg

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just put a big ring back on and will be changing back to a bash ring asap. Lots more rock strikes 🙁

jedi

i always have a triple onmy hummer nad a bash ring.
    helps when riding over big logs etc…
    the bash guard on my demo9 is in tatters too 🙂 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bashguards – Are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.