Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bashed up cranks/pedals – poor technique?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Back from another epic weekend at Afan. Cleaning the bike last night and noticed my lovely new cranks/pedals are now covered in small gouges from rock strikes.

Is this down to bad technique? I try to keep my pedals level as much as possible, drop an outside foot on non-bermed corners etc.

Certainly on the Whites/Blade climb I noticed catching the odd pedal on the more technical bits.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I occasionally catch my pedals, but its inevitable on the more rocky trails, mainly caused by stones thrown up by front wheel.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty inevitable on rocky climbs unless you can find a way up them without pedalling. maybe you need these:

Although if you don’t clean it you don’t notice these things so much.

Also why only drop your outside foot on non bermed corners?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is this down to bad technique?

Nope. It’s to do with being extremely rad. That’s what I tell myself anyway.

🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Mine are covered scuffs and marks. In direct line of stones, rocks, my ham fisted gigarad riding style.

prezet
    Free Member

Also why only drop your outside foot on non bermed corners?

Not quite sure, I think I was always told to try to keep my pedals level though berms. Think it’s just a habit now. Flat corners etc I drop my outside foot.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Cranks and pedals are like cats whiskers and as such should be IMO regarded as sacrificial parts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I clip mine when I’m trying hard…

(too paraphrase another poster if your not mashing then through rocks your mincing)

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t know how but managed to get the inside pedal & foot stuck under a rock on the final descent of whites IIRC it was the very last corner.

amedias
    Free Member

Is this down to bad technique

Normally yes, whenever I clip mine it’s always because I’ve made a mistake, if I’d timed things better, or been paying more attention it wouldn’t have happened.

Ergo, I normally clip my pedals more when I’m tired or not concentrating, technique definitely comes into it, and obviosuly with some bikes it’s easier than others depending on BB height, suspension, and what pedals you’re using, sure sometimes it’s just a result of being SuperGnar (!) but normally it’s a case of bad timing or not paying attention.

Certainly on the Whites/Blade climb I noticed catching the odd pedal on the more technical bits

This kind of backs that up, as there’s nothing particularly techy on the Whites climb, and certainly nothing that can’t be avoided if paying attention.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bashed up cranks/pedals – poor technique?’ is closed to new replies.