Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Bash rings
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used my big ring recently and the type of riding I am doing is meaning having a jagged big ring ready to rip chunks out of my leg is not the best idea.

So I’m looking at getting a big ring. Got an XT crank with a 4 bolt set up. Currently a 44t big ring and a 32t middle.

Ideally would like to go up to a 36T or 40T middle with a Bash ring.

I’ve been looking at the Blackspire Lite Super God ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17279 ) bash ring as I rarely bash it as such and it is more to protect me from the rings than the rings from bashes…

I’d love to hear if anyone else has done this and if anyone has got any other suggestions or comments on doing this as I know nothing in this area and don’t even know if it will work or what the down sides are of bash rings.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Only disadvantage is not having a big ring (ooo-errr). You might spin out of gears on certain downhills but that’ll be rare!! And for keeping your legs/rings intact its ideal! Just dont forget to adjust limits on your derailleur!!

paule
    Free Member

If you’re going for anything bigger than a 36 ring, then you’ll need to increase the size of your inner ring also. Much more than a 14t difference shifts badly….

I’ve run 22-36, 22-32 and currently running 22-33. Think I’ll end up with something like 26-36 as I’m not using the bottom 2 gears.

Gordymac
    Free Member

I recently got a Black guard from Dark cycles in BC. Does the job, looks good and delivered to the UK without duty in a week.

Gordymac

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve not had a big ring on any of my bikes for about 5 years and have never missed it. Have one bike with a 36T and find its more than enough. e13 make good solid bash guards too.

oxnop
    Free Member

I have recently converted my bikes to 36t one with a ethirteen supercharger and the other with a raceface bash, i have also changed my GF’s meta to double with a 34t. Have not missed the big ring yet & neither has she.

DrP

22-36-bash here (meta 5).
    Happy with this set up – never missed the top gear…

DrP

Black spire also do a “Bing Ring Protector”. I have had them on two bikes. The fit externally (outside of the big ring) allowing you to keep all 3 rings. Worked well. I have go to a double now on one bike as I stuffed a crank and had to replace it. I rarely used the big ring on that bike.

sharki
    Free Member

Had the same thing last year, so ditched the outer for a bash and ran 36/24.

Now ditched all the gears….

TheDoog
    Free Member

Just get a hammerschmidt!! Like i would if i could jusify it!!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wiggle used to do an FSA bashring for 10 quid.

Bargain as Ive had 2 (one on each bike) that have both outlasted an E13 by 2 times the life of the E13 but at 1/4 of the price.

🙂

twohats
    Free Member

If you’re going for anything bigger than a 36 ring, then you’ll need to increase the size of your inner ring also. Much more than a 14t difference shifts badly….

Total rubbish.

I run 22-38, the middle ring being an E Thirteen G-Ring, designed to used as a single ring. It has no shifting ramps or profiled teeth and I have perfect front shifting.
    Don’t believe everything Shimano/Sram tell you.

Also you won’t miss your top gear off road if you run a 36 or 38t ring. I only ever used my big ring off road cross chained to stop the chain dropping on descents. A 36 or 38t with an 11t sprocket out back is plenty fast enough, even on the road!
    Most DH riders run 34 or 36t and do you ever see them run out of gears on the hill?

Northwind

If you’re just worried about the whole spiky wheel of death thing, and not so much about bash protection, then you could get a worn out big ring and grind the teeth off, costs nothing…

RestlessNative
    Free Member

22/36/bash here, its perfect imo, you only actually loose a couple of gears on having a big ring and my bash ring has enough dents to prove I would have been through a few big rings 🙂

jedi

i use a toothfairy and keep the 3 rings on my hummer

GhostRider
    Free Member

It depends on the bike.

My Norco Bigfoot got an SLX 2ring and bash 36/22 and it worked a treet, it just works on the bike. A big fat hard tail dosn’t need a big ring even on the flat.

…….

twohats
    Free Member

Most MTBs running 3 rings are over geared IMO.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

the type of riding I am doing is meaning having a jagged big ring ready to rip chunks out of my leg is not the best idea

You may probably be best running a chain device too. Double ring and single ring set ups tend to equal chain coming off.

chakaping
    Free Member

I went from 44/32/22 to 36/22, then to 32/22 – as I found the 36 just wasn’t very useable.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

been following this with interest.

Chakaping – why wasn’t it very useable?? I’d like to think a 36 over a 32 increased the spread of gears that little bit to give you some bigger gears that you’d lose otherwise, especially as I only use my granny when I really need those smaller gears (basically the bottom three).

jedi

over geared with a triple??

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got these on my bikes

Can’t fault them and have lasted longer than my E13 did

Linkyclicky click to FSA Bashring on CRC

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – what do you mean?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, gone for a 36t Deore Ring and a FSA bash ring – £24 all in.

B.

TheDoog
    Free Member

‘You may probably be best running a chain device too. Double ring and single ring set ups tend to equal chain coming off.’

Never had a moments problem with the chain coming off while running double!!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah Doog – I didn’t get why the chain should come off unless the mech wasn’t set up right

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I don’t understand why running a double or single would give you more problems dropping the chain either. Remember to shorten the chain anyway, you can loose a few links once there’s no 44t ring to wrap round. You Can also run a short cage rear mech although there’s no *need*.

Personally I like 22/36 for my mix of riding. Found Stainburn was hard on big rings and rarely ever miss it.

I wish Hope would do a bash ring, for no other reason than I’d like them to 😉

naokfreek
    Free Member

Have done the old big ring minus teeth route….angle grinder, 5mins, grind off teeth, spray a colour….bash ring for nout…….done.

but will be getting a 36 for the alps….bit spinny last year with 32….

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for 36/22 here!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I run 2 rings for my normal riding with bash guard, and have never missed the big ring. However if I am going to be doing some XC or a race the big ring comes back on. It takes about 2 mins to do the 4 nuts and job done.

Never felt the need to adjust the front shifter to 2 ring setup.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping – why wasn’t it very useable?? I’d like to think a 36 over a 32 increased the spread of gears that little bit to give you some bigger gears that you’d lose otherwise

That’s what I thought, but in practice I found myself resorting to the granny a lot more as the 36 was that bit harder to push on climbs.

And I always felt like I was riding at the ends of the cassette rather than in the middle.

I may just be a weakling though.

😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bash rings’ is closed to new replies.