Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bash ring on 1×10?
  • cp

Anyone running a bash ring on their 1×10 setup? I’ve never dropped a chain on my anthem 1×10, but I’m wondering about putting my old hope bash on the grapil as it will see more feisty use on rocky and rough trails.

Do folk find it helps with chain retention or are you happily getting away without? I’m also thinking it will help protect the single chain ring from knocks.

Andy-R

Problem is you get crap building up between the bash and the chainring – or I did when I used one on a 2x setup.

chiefgrooveguru

I used to always do this. Nowadays I still run the bash on the full-sus for the extra protection/retention but on the hardtail I go without because it no longer does the away trips to rocky places, or gets used in enduro races, it has a high enough BB that it rarely gets bashed and as it gets used in muddy woods all winter it collected so much crap betwixt bash and ring that the chain ended up running on wattle and daub rather than teeth – until it fell off!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need, chain protects the chainring.

chiefgrooveguru

No need, chain protects the chainring.

Are chains indestructible? I just wonder how many knackered chains are ones which got nailed on a rock at some point in their past…

br
    Free Member

Are chains indestructible? I just wonder how many knackered chains are ones which got nailed on a rock at some point in their past…

It’s MTBing…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 I still run a bash on the FS but I’ve left the HT ‘bare’. I actually run the FS with the clutch off most of the time, and it never throws the chain.

thegreatape
    Free Member

With a single chainring and nothing else you can get the whole drivetrain as clean as a butler’s ringpiece with just a washing up brush.

cp

That is very true! My anthem is very easy to clean! Guess I was thinking it could help prevent bent teeth and sending the whole ring. Might try it for a while

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think because it’s littler than the large of a 2x or 3x setup it’s a bit more out of the way. A little bit. Maybe just looks it.

Superficial
    Free Member

Nobeer is correct – the only time I’ve done chain ring damage is on a 1x or 2x setup. If your chain is always on the same ring then you’re basically never going to damage the chain ring. As for chain damage, I’m sure it’s possible but I often abuse my chain and bash over rocks (I’d wager far more than average) and it’s never been a problem. Plus chains are simple to fix, rings not so much.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘bash ring on 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.