Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bash ring for 32 chainring
  • nille
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I am looking into replacing my big chainring of my XT hollowtech II cranks with a bashguard to maximise the ground clearance of my bike. The problem i am facing is that even though there are a couple of 32 bash rings around, they seem to be significantly larger than the actual chain ring (e.g. e13 Supercharger). Can anybody recommend me a bashguard that will fit a 32 chainring tightly?

Thanks for your help.

N.

househusband

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html

I’ve had a few over the years; simple, effective and inexpensive.

chilli
    Free Member

The racceface 32t bash is nice and snug,usually get a few cheapos on fleabay too!

jimjam
    Free Member

Gamut’s smaller/smallest? chainring is only slightly bigger than a 32th ring.

jonnyrockymountain

BBG

Three_Fish
    Free Member

+1 for Race Face. The 34T version they do is only just larger than the diameter of a 34T ring with chain. I did think that 34T was the smallest they did, though; same for Gamut.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

+1 for BBG. I happen to like the way they look, they’re light, cheap, all good.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

+2 for the raceface, might be listed as being designed for a 34T but it is pretty damn snug with a 32.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Here’s a RaceFace 34T (with a 33T ring), just to give you an indication of size. It’s around 15cm in diameter.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have one of those Race Face bash guards going spare, if you want it.

It’s a little scarred, but otherwise fine.

Yours for a tenner. E-mail: mikek@skylinecad.plus.com

nille
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys; much appreciated.

The Gamut bash guard would be great if only available in 32T (smallest I could find was 34T). I prefer the idea of having a lexan/polycarbonate bashs over a metal one. Saying that, the Raceface one looks rather nice.

Can anyone with a 34T Gamut or 32T Raceface do me a favour and measure the actual diameter?

@ Mikey74: Is the one you got on offer a 32 or 34 bash?

WackoAK
    Free Member

FSA do a polycarbonate one that’s cheap although can’t find anywhere in stock, I had one for 3 years on a previous bike and it took plenty of hits and kept going strong. It’s also nice and light, bascially a sensible priced version of the E13 one.

tiberius
    Free Member

+3(?) for Raceface. I’ve run one for a few years and it does the job well.

Hairychested
    Free Member

One of my bike has had the Race Face jobbie for several years now, works a treat.

br
    Free Member

or just clip the teeth off an old big ring?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The P20 Gamut 34T guard is a couple of mm larger in diameter than the RaceFace, but around 3.5mm thicker at 9.7mm. It definitely looks like more ‘stuff’ when fitted.

mikey74
    Free Member

@ Mikey74: Is the one you got on offer a 32 or 34 bash?

I believe it is a 34t, but I ran it for years with a 32t ring and it didn’t keep too big at all. It actually looked quite small when on the bike

I’d be happy to measure it and give you the dimensions tonight, if you want.

messiah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a bash guard with a 32.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Like Messiah says – are you running this for XC with the granny and middle? just buy some short chainring bolts. The f/mech will keep things on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bash ring for 32 chainring’ is closed to new replies.