Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Basement makeover
  • qtip

Got a slight moisture issue in our basement. The walls and were pretty damp in the summer but have almost completely dried out in winter, so I guess it’s mainly a humidity issue rather than ingress through the walls (although only the external walls seem to be affected). I’ll get a dehumidifier before it warms up again but, in the meantime, I want to give it a spruce up.

The walls are plaster-covered brick, and the damp has resulted in some lovely mouldy plaster. What’s the best way to remove the old plaster? I was thinking of a wire brush attachment for the power drill, but a quick scrub with a wire brush leads me to think that this might take forever as the plaster is thicker in some parts than others, and the brush will probably clog too. I’m hoping there’s a quicker solution to scraping it all off by hand!

Secondly, is there any benefit to replastering before painting? I was thinking of just applying masonry paint to the bare brick once the old plaster has been removed. Also, will any masonry paint suffice or is it worth getting the ridiculously expensive waterproof stuff?

Any tips greatly appreciated. Cheers.

qtip

A bump for April’s crowd!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Basement makeover’ is closed to new replies.