Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • bartering for new tv
  • sohala
    Free Member

i need 2 new tellys, looking at samsung 40" lcd. rrp £549 from currys, comet etc.
    anyone with experience or any tips on how to get money off for buying two?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Don't buy them from Currys or Comet!!!

CaptJon
    Free Member

John Lewis if you're near one – automatic 5 year guarantee.

grunty
    Free Member

2nd CaptJon

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Look for deals here – http://www.hotukdeals.com/electricals/all/hot

(if poss) Get JL to price match.

5 year guarantee a must.

Del

just ask for 10% off for two, keep the whole thing light and airy ( no one does a deal for someone they don't like ). if they say no, go somewhere else. repeat until you end up back at the first place, and go for 5%. somone will give. might be you. 🙂
    never does any harm to ask.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

richersounds you are already saving and if you buy 2 they will do you a deal.

They did for me.

br
    Free Member

After much surfing and looking… I just went to John Lewis, as with their 'free' 5 year warrenty they just blow everybody else out on total price.

And you know that they will honour the warrenty.

CaptJon
    Free Member

They absolutely do – previous TV broke after three years, they replaced it with a new one. New one's thermostat (?) went, they fixed it for free in my house. All hassle free.

skidartist
    Free Member

how to get money off for buying two?

Ask them how much they'll cost if you buy 20, if they say they'll cost £X each say "Great I'll have two at £X just now, and if I like them I'll be back for the other 18"

And in all seriousness, warrentee is everything. LCD TVs are throw-away technology compared to old CRTs. They are throw away technology compared to socks! I used them for exhibtions (LCDs broadly, not the one you are looking at specifically) and in every case have to replace broken down screens regularly, some only last a month. If theres four TVs in a show we'll always keep two in reserves and can expect to use those reserves, buy more reserves and use them too in a 12 – 18 month run.

I've got two, new, boxed Polaroid TVs sitting by my back door waiting to go to the tip, and one working Wharfdale one next to my desk just now that was the only one left working out of 6 bought for a 9 month exhibition (the show only used two screens)

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd agree with the John Lewis thing (get them to price match if needed), not sure you can expect much of a discount on a £549 TV though (I think that's the same model I paid £900 for a while back the first week it came out :p ). Comet/Currys will probably only discount the extended warranty so JL should work out cheaper.

Riofer
    Free Member

Also check for any discount codes for the stores on cashback websites and the like. I got £100 off a £600 plasma at JL though pricematch and buying JL vouchers online with a 6% discount on face value.

Dair
    Free Member

I have just been through the same process for a similar priced TV and I agree with the support for JL. They do price match (not against online retailers, but will price match Richer Sounds) and the 5 year guarantee is in itself worth a lot of money.

Dylan08
    Free Member

have you ever seen the rot that TV channels send to you're screen – save you cash mate dont buy one!

tragically1969
    Free Member

Have you got one of these near you:

http://www.euronics.co.uk/

I have always had good deals from them, more chance than Comet for sure

the_lecht_rocks

sevenoaks will do a deal – they did for me in aberdeen – very impressed with their service and support.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Comet/Currys are way over priced, as is John Lewis.

However getting JL to price match can get you a good deal

BigJohn

I think you mean "haggling". Barter is where you exchange goods or services for a product you want.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘bartering for new tv’ is closed to new replies.