Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bars in Glasgow
  • Earl
    Free Member

In my continuing effort to do a single power up before I get too old, I find myself in search of a park with a bar to train on while I’m in Glasgow next week. Staying around Hope and Renfrew.

Can you help please.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Plenty tree branches in glasgow green. You might get bottles thrown at you for being a knob though.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

What’s a power up? Is that another name for a pull/chin up?

If so, there are outdoor gyms in a few parks around Glasgow. The Bellahouston Park one definitely has a pull up bar. A quick Google suggests Kelvingrove, Alexandra and Elder parks have outdoor gyms too.

Or use a tree. Or use a climbing frame or swings in a kids playground.

Of course the downside is that all the time spent hanging there, straining but failing, and the painful realisation that you are now too old to do any pull ups, is all done in public.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Didn’t clock what was there but there was some gym kit on the canal between (IIRC) Speirs Wharf and Firhill. Might have been a bar, sorry can’t be more specific

downgrade
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Bellahouston.

I’m sure there used to be an outdoor gym next to Glasgow Airport, the other side from Renfrew, S end of Barnsford Road. Not sure if it’s still there.

Earl
    Free Member

Much thanks all. Bar is great. Kids climbing frame is good too.

GreatPotato – powerups (all so called muscle ups) is quite a new term and doesn’t describe the movement at all. Start off doing a chin and continue lifting the body up past the bar until the bar is below your chest then do a tricep press till the bar is at your waist. Its all the rage in the world of marcho-ism at the moment.

They are stupidly hard. I can do 15 chins from a straight hang in a set, complete about 60 in a workout + lots of other upper body stuff. I am miles away from a single powerup. So when you see the kids doing it in the park – you know they put a lot of work into it.

http://youtu.be/EYlyMoNwlKc

squirrelking
    Free Member

Theres the goalposts in Kelvingrove just up from the Eldon Street bridge. Just watch for anything strung up on them…

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

‘Kinell.

Anyway, the reason I’m back is to let you know the bars in Bellahouston are not the simple bars as in that YouTube. They’re the kind used in this one…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypcq6vquyNw

That may influence your decision to plan a trip there. Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bars in Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.