Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Barry Manilow gay! Who knew?
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Listening to the news last night and wondered if anyone, really, didn’t know this already. Nearly as surprising as Liberace!
    What I’m curious about is why this is news at all and does anyone seriously care any more? I could care less TBH.
    Not proper news IMO.

Rockape63
    Free Member

he’s been out for years hasn’t he? Was defo a shock at the time as his performances were all about appealing to his female fans!

As you say, much like Liberace did in his early years, but knowing what we know now, how did he get away with it!

cranberry
    Free Member

What – he’s not a man’s man, like Freddie Mercury ?

Drac

You probably kept it secret to avoid comments such as the above. Such a shame they still happen.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not sure it was secret was it? He’s been married to his huband for years.

I think it’s just now he’s prepared to talk about it publicly.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

He’s married to a huband?!

The swine!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bermuda Triangle foliage ?

As it happens I really quite like Barry, a purveyor of catchy tunes that man.

cranberry
    Free Member

You probably kept it secret to avoid comments such as the above. Such a shame they still happen.

Did I *really* need to put a smiley in my post to let you know my comment was made, referencing the shock when Freddie came out, with my tongue firmly between my cheeks ?

ninfan
    Free Member

Giggidy!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhQ6iEr0ew[/video]

Drac

Did I *really* need to put a smiley in my post to let you know my comment was made, referencing the shock when Freddie came out, with my tongue firmly between my cheeks ?

And saying it was only a joke makes it sooooopo much better.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just waiting for Chris Smalling to come out now…

shermer75
    Free Member

Top Barry Manilow pub quiz fact:

Used to play piano in Barbra Streisand’s backing band. Fact!

bearnecessities

And saying it was only a joke makes it sooooopo much better.

Go on then, I’d love to know. Saying what?

No points awarded without demonstration of some working out.

Edit: This whole casual & throwaway judgemental or morally superior crap posted in increasing swathes is starting to irk me, so let’s prove me wrong. Please. Then I know it’s not just me.

*wanders off chuntering*

DezB
    Free Member

I care as much about his sexuality as I do his music.

what am I even doing here?

Sooooopo is my new favourite word.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Eddie Mairs skit on the topic was priceless.

rene59
    Free Member

I could care less TBH.

But you cared enough to start a thread on it…

giantalkali
    Free Member

He’s been married to a man named Garry for about 2 years, that’s pretty gay. Why the fuss about it now?

Barry and Garry, LOL

Jamie
    Free Member

Sidebar: Mr Mair is becoming a national treasure on the stealth.

chakaping
    Free Member

Garry Manilow – I’m sure he was playing the local working men’s club the other week.

Cougar

does anyone seriously care any more?

Well, you do, evidently.

I could care less TBH.

See!

birky
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04z53pk 😆

funkmasterp

I could care less TBH.

Couldn’t, couldn’t care less! 👿

project
    Free Member

Strange how some people seem to think its quite funny for a chap to mary his long term partner of the same sex, where as hetro sexual partnerships are all ok.

Junkyard
    Free Member

+1

TheFlyingOx

I could care less TBH.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/video]

SaxonRider

Still trying to figure out why people feel the need to announce what their bedtime preferences are.

What about just being people, with all the variety that entails?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hetreosexuas dont need to as its just assumed

Perhaps if you were gay and had experienced the bigotry he and other gay people have, the shame, the disdain from their community, the separation from families etc
    ]Not everyone is tolerant of gay people you know

Have you seen what the country of Uganda does for example and there are still sodomy laws in some US states FWIW

One day ewe may be so enlightened no one cares anymore than they care whether you drink tea or coffee but that day is not yet

project
    Free Member

Still trying to figure out why people feel the need to announce what their bedtime preferences are.

Think youll find that hetros always announce their bedroom preferences are especially when drunk, and theres a lot more to a relationship/marriage than sex in the bedroom, or elsewhere.

jonnyboi

I loved it when Gareth Thomas came out and the Welsh public collectively didn’t give a hoot, apart from that he was happy.

cranberry
    Free Member

Strange how some people seem to think its quite funny for a chap to mary his long term partner of the same sex, where as hetro sexual partnerships are all ok.

Perhaps not as strange as the fact that some people think it is OK to be offended on behalf of an entire group of people without asking for our consent first.

That sticky white stuff that comes out of us when we put our winkies in another mans bottom is not the last vestiges of our sense of humour squirting out and whilst we might, for a brief moment, look rather po-faced, that isn’t who we all are on the inside.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I love that an innocuous and light hearted comment about a person announcing something which was common knowledge can be construed as having a hurtful design. Or better that there’s an agenda to upset all the delicates who woft around here looking for something to call offensive or gain an opportunity to point out how perfect their view of all things is.
    Get over yourselves.
    While wer’re on the subject of self-righteousness, Couger, what in the world is your comment supposed to mean? And, is your name a reference to your sexuality or are you actually a Couger?
    funkmasterp, Do you have a point? This is an open forum with visitors from all over the world, Some will use English in ways which may not meet with your narrow view of correctness. Send me your address and I’ll post a wheat bag you can warm in the microwave and clutch to your tummy while you weep.
    EDIT: Just read the above comment. So brilliantly put..

RustySpanner

I’m disgusted.

We were going to see him in Vegas, (one of his last appearances) so glad I found out before I booked.

All those years living a lie, I just don’t trust him anymore.

Luckily, Cliff Richard is playing Wembley in September so we’ve decided to see him instead.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly I don’t think there is much fuss. I am surprised the papers even picked up the story. Surely pretty much everyone knew he was gay and equally didn’t care.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Surely pretty much everyone knew he was gay and equally didn’t care.

Apparently, it’s not possible to say you don’t care. That offends people. So in short, everyone cares even when they say they don’t and that makes those who proclaim their lack of caring bad people.
    Only those that don’t mention they don’t care truly don’t’ care. For they alone are the righteous. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Well I’m only reading the thread in order to see how much everybody else cares. I refuse to comment on my feelings about it.

I thought his point was quite clear – admittedly maybe less so if you’re from a different country and have trouble comprehending English. I’m not sure there is anything particularly narrow about his view of correctness (in this instance) – it’s something which is either right or wrong in an absolute sense rather than being a matter of opinion. I mean if we’re not going to bother with correct use of words we might as well give down.

funkmasterp

Apparently, it’s not possible to say you don’t care

But you said you could care less, so that means you do care 😉

gears_suck
    Free Member

Just a though. If you’re looking for perfect English, perhaps this isn’t the best venue. After all, it’s an informal social site for entertainment. The usage guidelines don’t have a correctness content clause as far as I’m aware.

Drac

Apparently, it’s not possible to say you don’t care.

I don’t think anyone was offended by your post claiming you don’t care despite starting a post about the topic.

It’s more the Liberace jokes and how he’s not a real man like Freddy Mercury.

funkmasterp

just a though

Must resist urge to type sarcastic comment. I’m not looking for perfect use of English. It was meant to be a light hearted comment on an often misused phrase. Doesn’t always come across well when typed.

Does the offer of a free microwaveable wheat bag still stand? I ate too much last night and have a mild stomach ache as a result.

chakaping
    Free Member

What about just being people, with all the variety that entails?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

If you read any of the coverage he explained that he’d stayed in the closet for fear of “disappointing” his fanilows. Which we might read as “ruining my career”.

Of course his current fanbase is unlikely to give a fig, but 30 years ago he might have been right to be concerned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Barry Manilow gay! Who knew?’ is closed to new replies.