Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bargain road cranks?
  • nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Hi,

Anything out there to beat these guys? Got a pedal stuck in my cranks and bottom bracket is toast, so I need a chain set/bb bargain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-5750-compact-10sp-chainset/rp-prod50444

Ideally they would be 9speed but I reckon these will be ok.

pictonroad

What size rings you after? Got a brand new FSA omega and BB for sale with 50/34. Mail in profile.

James

cp
    cookeaa

You’d need a BB and HT2 tool (if you don’t have one already) so those 105 cranks would end up costing you ~£90, you can pick up the whole 5700 group for under £300 so I don’t reckon it’s particularly good value TBH.

If you are after VFM go for something square taper spa cycles have some good options IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You could get 5800 for under 300, but thats still a heck of a lot more than cranks.

If youve got the tools then 105 is very good value, check to see if you can find 5800 series bits for a few ££ more, they’lll be hardly any better but a bit more bling value.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a 5700 Silver 50/34 Chainset for sale if you want it?
    Barely used. And a brand new BB for it. ( I think)

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

I’ve got the tools. It’s to replace some stupid power spline cranks, where the bb has always creaked. I only need cranks, groupset on the bike is sora which is fine for the amount of use that bike gets. Pictonroad what kind of bb is that you? Happy for you to all tout your wares. Email is in profile.

Am I right thinking ten speed rings are fine when the rest is 9 speed? Those Planet X cranks are a good deal, but I’d rather run a compact set.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought one of these for £20, add in the BB for £15, and you are sorted:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSRPMCFMR10/rpm-cfm-road-crankset-10-speed

They do 9SP too.
    Of course, it is square taper, but really, could you tell the difference? I cant.

(edit, just seen someone else has linked to these – they are pretty decent, far better than expected.)

Sundayjumper

Am I right thinking ten speed rings are fine when the rest is 9 speed?

AFAIK 10sp rings are just a tiny bit thinner. I’ve been using a 10sp chainset on my 9sp bike for ages and it works fine.

Gee76
    Free Member

yhm

stumpy01

Merlin have got Tiagra in silver with choice of crank arm lengths for £54:

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4650-compact-chainset-62076.html

Still need a BB for that, though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Tiagra if you want a bargain. I put a lot of miles on my Tiagra-equipped bike and the crank is a crank is a crank. (CRC cheaper than that Merlin one as well)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bargain road cranks?’ is closed to new replies.