Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Bargain or Moneypit
  • Clobber
    Free Member

Bargain of the century…

butcher

Never even seen them before. One thing wearing in mind is that big barges with big engines go for buttons once they have a few years in them. With the exception of popular and collectible models (I’ve no idea where this stands). If all you want is a big motor with a big engine, you will find cheaper.

Based on my own experiences of similar (slightly worse actually) fuel economy, if you do any amount of miles, they will cripple you! Once it goes sub-20, you feel it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Fuel wise it’s no worse than a subaru impreza I had. It’s annual servicing a v8 that may break me 😐

rossatease
    Free Member

Schluuuurrrp… 14 mpg if you’re lucky

davosaurusrex

Well it’s never going to be cheap to fuel, service, tax, insure or keep in tyres and I wouldn’t have one if I was planning on doing more than about 8k a year in it but I’d love one of these for the weekend and occasional long trips. So go for it and then come round mine and let me have a go.

Gunz
    Free Member

Everyone will think it’s just a Passat anyway.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain moneypit to me.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Or a Skoda Superb (old shape) 😆

taffy
    Free Member

I’ve been considering may an eclectis barge for an impending mid life criss. the Phaeton ticks many boxes, it’ll be thirsty and expensive to run but is an undervalued and underappreciated gem (there is a W12 !isted ATM) Smooth V8, 4WD, high luxury spec and superb ride. Not a sporty to drive as the Audi A8 equivalent.

johndoh
    Free Member

£7k for a 9 year old car?

Not a hope.

hot_fiat

Aren’t they good for around 200mph (if you remove the limiter)?

Looks like a complete bargain to me.

I’d get the rattle-can out though. Germans shouldn’t be allowed to do wood. Ever.

binners

Look at all the walnut veneer. You’ll be needing…..

😀

scud
    Free Member

Doesn’t it share a lot of components or underpinnings with Bentley Continental?

MoreCashThanDash

It was the test vehicle for the Bentley underpinnings – they couldn’t sell them originally, offering massive savings to clear them at the end. A mate worked at a dealers at the time.

I’d love to buy it if it has a proper history.

wilburt
    Free Member

As per butcher, even if you’ve got money to burn and don’t want to do mega miles < 20mpg soon becomes tiresome.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Spoke to the dealer, Full VWSH, and willing to knock £1k off with no px…..hmmmmm 😀

JulianA
    Free Member

Going to be around 30p per mile for petrol (or a little under).

Tax isn’t too bad… Same as an A4 3.0, which it would see off (just) 0 – 60. It would be £500 per year for a 3.2 V6 A4. Tyres about £600 – £700 for a full set? But you don’t buy them that often, hopefully – at least not all at once.

People will not think it’s a Passat if they know anything about cars (and if they don’t, who cares what they think?).

Lovely bit of kit – go for it if you can afford it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t get it personally.

davosaurusrex

Must stop reading this thread – that’s another one on my luxo-barge want list. It’s the curved glass rear screen that does it for me. Compared to the Phaeton one of these almost makes sense, except they’re French, obviously. Still want the VW much more though.

I have a 1.6 CDTi Zafira Tourer on order as my company car. This thread makes me a bit sad.

nosedive
    Free Member

Stunning. I bet a set of tyres is closer to 1200 than 700 though. I would want to see everything is perfect beforebuying it though. Anything it needs is going to cost a fortune.

bearnecessities

Pfft. This is how you do the bargain money pit 😀

Chuffin’ sub 5 seconds!

ski99

take a bike with you when you check it out.
    I’d love a Phaeton, but despite the depth, the boot isn’t very tall.
    A Golf fits bike in better.

And make sure the motorised air vents work; they’re a bu**er to fix!

andyl
    Free Member

and the motorised boot lid.

CountZero

I saw a Phaeton last week, first one I’ve ever seen. I’d love one for this reason:

Gunz – Member
    Everyone will think it’s just a Passat anyway.

Exactly! Luxury, long-distance saloon car, top notch engineering, and not likely to attract key-wielding asshats with a grudge, nobody would look twice at it, apart from those who know what it is. A bit like the Audi RS6 Avant.
    I’d have the W12, if I could afford to run it.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Do it, bit gutted my R32 at 3.2 litre 4motion costs me £475 road tax a year and that’s got better performance and better mpg and lower tax……..but my R32 does well in excess of that top speed…no speed restrictor 😆

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Worth looking for one with an LPG conversion?

parkesie
    Free Member

If it was the w16 one now that would be a money pit.

northernmatt

Father in law has just got rid of a C6 and replaced it with a DS5. He likes big Citroens.

As for the luxobarge see if you can find an Audi S8 then you try and recreate the car chase from Ronin.

hot_fiat

Pah! Amateurs. That’s not a money pit.

that’s a money pit:
    Bottomless pothole

edoverheels
    Free Member

I completely don’t understand the appeal of cars like this. Very good at covering distance and smothering all sensation. Seem ideal for people who need to cover big distances which the sub 20mpg nullifies. For children like me who like to get thrown about they miss the point.
    However I appreciate we are all different. If it works out you will have amazingly refined motoring at a bargain price. If it goes wrong, it will cost you a fortune and you will reminisce (bitter sweet) over a beer in a few years time as I have done over stupid heart lead purchases over the years. If you like it, do it and luxuriate in the splendour. Or buy a nearly new Yaris. Life is too short. If you are above the bread line, sensible is rarely the happy solution.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Go on……buy the Masser.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The maserati is far to expensive. The wife has the nice sensible car (mini countryman). This is the fun lunacy for me to get to work and weekends. At the moment I do about 6-8k miles a year. At over 40(ish) the insurance is cheap. 🙂

stumpy01

I’d rather have the C6 than the Phaeton…

hora
    Free Member

If the OPs car comes with a 3-6month warranty. Enough time to spot issues.

Why not?! Better than a dull as ditchwater Golf or Passat 1.9tdi that can go pop with VAG costs

br
    Free Member

Not yet cheap enough really, if you buy it you have to accept that you’ll only sell it for ‘buttons’ or give it away when something big/expensive is needed.

I bought this at 80k when it was 10 y/o for £2k. Ran it until 130k when the autobox went. 25mpg and a lovely place to be, and even though it was old it still had ‘presence’. Other running costs were no more than any large-ish car.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I know a guy who took a punt on the 6 litre W12

I asked him what it was like, he said scary fast and you don’t even know that you’re breaking the speed limit it’s so smooth

I asked what the running costs were like, he said he’s shitting himself when it comes time to change the spark plugs – I think the servicing costs are a bit mental

andyrm
    Free Member

Shares a huge amount of chassis & running gear with Bentley GTC so a solid motor – will try and get a full list of all the bits it shares (my mum works for Bentley so I can find out accurate info).

But on the surface that looks a bloody bargain!

winston
    Free Member

You want to be a bit careful with old luxo-barges these days
    The new MOT is a lot stricter on broken gadgets than the old one was – i.e warning light on the dash telling you the heated gearknob is broken might fail you. Basically if its on the car it has to work….so the older and more fully loaded a car is the cheaper it becomes ….to start with

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bargain or Moneypit’ is closed to new replies.