Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Bargain bike camera
  • Anyone noticed THESE bike cams yet?

For 14 quid a throw they’ll fly off the shelves I reckon.

rockhopper70

I wonder if these are the same internals/performance as the MD80 camera????

yodagoat
    Free Member

must be worth a try at that price!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Be interested to see if these are any good. Seems to good to be true.

DickBarton

How long would the 8gb option last for filming? I’ve got an idea for a film…

stinker
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one, I’ll let you know how I get on guys. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

About 10min per gb IIRC on my MD80’s

KidCragg
    Free Member

watching with interest! keep us posted on how you get on stinker

gcaster
    Free Member

About 10min per gb IIRC on my MD80’s

As far as I’m aware for the quality of the video you’ll get a lot more than 10mins per GB – probably more like an hour per GB

petrieboy

Can’t go wrong for that money really

robdob
    Free Member

Is there anything like that for a bit more cash that will do sound as well??

yodagoat
    Free Member

Stinker – I’m looking forward to seeing how good this is.

petrieboy

No sound? Ah that’s a little less useful

rockhopper70

my MD80 does around 10mins per GB in good light conditions. It must increase the frame rate or something as if I use it indoors, set on a stand or something to see what the dog gets up to when we are out, I get around 1hr 20mins on a 2gb card.

rockhopper70

I have just watch the review on youtube and it appears to delete old footage as it fills the card, sort of a rolling security thing. I’m not sure that would be much use to record riding but I look forward to hearing (and seeing) how you get on with it.

DickBarton

Any updates yet?

Sold out already 😮

rockhopper70

Pity it has sold out as I would have been interested in the result.
    Just to add to the cheap camera thread (for those who can’t afford a £200 go-pro), I have just ordered a wide angle jelly lens to stick on to the front of my MD 80 to open the field of vision. So far, total spent on wide angle camera is around £10. 8gd micro sd card from mymemory is £8.00ish so that should be good for an hour of video??

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Mine has arrived.Might take it out for a blast later,We are under 3″ of snow so will be a lot of white.

stayhigh

rockhopper: what do you mean by a wide angle jelly lens?

rockhopper70

rockhopper: what do you mean by a wide angle jelly lens?

I saw these on a thread on here about xmas gifts. They are a self adhesive sort of lens that is designed for mobiles to create effects, sepia kaleidascope etc. They do a wide angle sort of fish eye thing and I thought for £3 or so off ebay they may be worth a go. Youtube has some footage of the MD80 with them stuck on but without a before and after view, not much help.
    If I get some with and without footage I will post it.

DaveE

Mine came thursday.
    Tested briefly and quality about the same as Muvi copy.
    This design should be better for helmet mount using twofish bracket.
    also plan to use fixed to seat tube using polaris torch mount.
    This gives better footage as camera is held solid.
    Any other mounting options anyone has tried.

rockhopper70

seat tube pointing forward or rear…footage of the pointing forward mode seems to get a lot of leg footage?

DaveE

Have ran forward and rear facing.
    Have very occasional leg footage.
    Mounted as close to top tube as i can.
    Footage looks great showing forks working and trail.
    Hope to give try tomorrow in FOD

DickBarton

Any vids online from this camera that we can nosey at? Ideally on-bike stuff…

DaveE

Have a look at this thread.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mini-dv-camera-thoughts-question
    Recon the internals of camera are the same.

rockhopper70

just to add another hint here…before I took my camera on holiday I bought a really nifty little usb emergency power device thing that held 2 AA batteries. I used this to charge to MD80 while on the lifts as the battery life is not great but very good for such a small device. I am looking at the MD91 now as this appears to have a proper lithium battery of a decent size and the blurb on that one says 2.5 hours video recording.

stinker
    Free Member

Hey folks, sorry for the delay (work, no time etc etc etc). I got my camera delivered, and initial impressions were good (if you can look past the lost in translation packaging- “Share with him the exciting moments” and “record our beautiful life at anytime” and so on. Made me chuckle!) Its a tidy little unit with a variety of mounts, and just having a play from new I managed to get 2 3second clips before the battery died. Then I found it was rattleing. The Lens was loose, the on/off switch and USB port needed re-soldering and the lens cover thread was very poorly cut to the point of not fitting. I suppose you get what you pay for! Anyhow gripes aside, the first 3 second clips had sound, and for the price, good quality video. Only snag is it needs (according to the appauling instructions)a 36 hour charge. As soon it is charged, I will go for a quick blast on the bike with it and post up the result. Sorry for the long wait guys. 🙁

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.lightinthebox.com/wholesale-Sports-Camera-and-Camcorder_c3263
    try this out some cheap cameras but no idea how good they are.i was thinking of going for the diving one just to add more waterproof protection

stinker
    Free Member

The level of proofing on the camera I bought is worrying. No seals to be seen anywhere. Going for a raz in the snow this afternoon, so we will see.

stinker
    Free Member

Here we are folks!

For the money I’m happy, I’ve sorted the rattly lens now and waterproofed it, so it should be ok. Have a squiz. Just recorded the road section on the way to my local loop. I had a cheapy camera before and got really bad motion blur, hence I wanted to tape a section with a little bit of speed in it (not much though, before anybody gets it in! ;-))to see how it manages. All in all, considering sooner or later I’m going to crash on it etc and kill it I’m pleased for the money. Excuse the wobbleing too, handle bar mount is less than ideal!

petrieboy

That looks pretty good to me – wish I’d got one now 🙁

gcaster
    Free Member

At speed?!

You can’t really judge how it’ll perform on a smooth road at a steady pace.
    Give it a blast round some singletrack, that should give it a good testing.

rockhopper70

looks about the same resolution as the MD80 camera….and the lens is yet to arrive.

stinker
    Free Member

gcaster- that was my plan mate, but by the time i got up there all the singletrack was under 8-12 inches of snow! That was the only footage I had without me puffing and cursing on it! 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Bargain bike camera’ is closed to new replies.