Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Barclay’s internet banking free Kaperski Internet offer – caution!
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Was offered this Kaperski internet, FOC as long as I remain a Barclays online banking customer. Great I thought – WRONG!

Installed the said security software only to discover that I couldn’t get on most of the web pages I tried to access. Tinkered with the settings which by default had been set to “child”, but still no access.
    Did the usual reboot to ensure settings had taken effect – no change.

Then came the blue screen of death experiences. Crash after crash! I installed and ran registry repair tools, but this didn’t fix it. The erratic BSOD’s became more frequent to the point where I thought I was going to loose access, even just to recover data. I was preparing myslef for a mandatory system reload. Oh well, I’ve done several for other people lately, what the heck!

After 2 days of this Kaperski, I de-installed it and went back to the free AVG software which i’d been using for 18 months (without any errors). All’s been stable for 2-3 days now and I managed a full backup as soon as Kaperski was uninstalled.

A cautionary tale!

They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch don’t they!

jam-bo

a virus checker that acts like a virus?

sounds like norton…

cp

I use kaspersky (not free or anything to do with barclays) and its fab. strange things happening there on your machine?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Erm, no cp. It’s a Windows Vista dual core laptop which is fully up to date on all it’s sw. Never given any trouble before and is 2 years old now.

Jakester
    Free Member

Got mine from Barclays, it’s worked faultlessly since installation.

GrahamS

Did you fully uninstall AVG before you loaded on Kapersky or did you just leave them both to fight to the death?

takisawa2

Not sure what its called but the one that Virgin Media give you has kept my laptop ticking over nicely for the last 5 yrs or so.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I did uninstall AVG 8 fully. The whole charade is a mystery.

If only PC’s and their operating systems had proper error reporting like real computers!

Microsoft ought to provide a bootable disc with a full blown diagnosic package that can scan for errors, determine the cause(s) and allow you to fix them.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got kaspersky on my home desktop, laptop and my gf’s laptop. it works perfectly. (top tip – if you buy a kaspersky license for 1 machine, it lets you install it with the same reg key on as many as you want, in my experience as above!)

cranberry
    Free Member

I run Kaspersky on 5 machines – never had the slightest problem with it.

z1ppy

I’ve installed the Kaspersky from barclays on an xp then a vista machine for a friend without issues.

soobalias
    Free Member

i chose my own antivirus, not just take what my bank offers.

similarly i make my own cheese sandwiches and not order them from CRC

Jakester
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    i chose my own antivirus, not just take what my bank offers.

similarly i make my own cheese sandwiches and not order them from CRC

If you were offered the choice of a free cheese sandwich, or the same sandwich but for the fact that you had to pay for it, which would you choose?

My bank makes enough off me – I may as well enjoy their largesse while they’re offering it…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Barclay’s internet banking free Kaperski Internet offer – caution!’ is closed to new replies.