Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Barbwire above a gate. Illegal?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrighty – why not push your bike up the footpath ? You are perfectly entitled to do that.

peterfile
    Free Member

As an occupier of land, you owe a duty of care to folks, which extends to trespassers.

It generally swings on whether the harm was foreseeable (from your description of its location, it sounds like it might be)…however most people/businesses get round the DOC by sticking signs up everywhere warning of the danger.

In the absence of signs and from your description of the location, you’d have at least the foundations for a tort claim if you were to suffer harm as a result.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

So it’s a footpath that you try and ride in bikes, the landowner objects and you carry on doing it. In fact you trespass to carry on doing it. Well done there another big plus for access. Carry on being a knob and the landowner will do the same.

jumble
    Free Member

In the absence of signs and from your description of the location, you’d have at least the foundations for a tort claim if you were to suffer harm as a result.

Duty of care does not mean you have to put warning signs around every bit of boundary fencing you put up in case someone pricks their finger on it. Climbing over barbed wire is a perceivable risk.

Also as a land owner you cannot get around duty of care.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

here?

streetmap is better than bing

Certainly doesn’t seem to keen on bikes.

However rules of trespass: Civil offence, can sue for damages. So if you snip his barbed wire, he could get you. If not, police won’t be bothered.
    Damages can be more than physical though. Round our way I avoid cheeky trails on grouse moors as (with a good expensive lawyer) it could be implied that riding scared the helpless birds, so they couldn’t be shot out of sky, therefore loss a season’s income. Which is a lot.

slowoldman

ir_bandito – Member
    here?

streetmap is better than bing
    You mean the public footpath where it says “No Bicycles”? I wonder who put that up by the way.

peterfile
    Free Member

Duty of care does not mean you have to put warning signs around every bit of boundary fencing you put up in case someone pricks their finger on it. Climbing over barbed wire is a perceivable risk.

Also as a land owner you cannot get around duty of care.

No.

DOC owed by occupiers is specifically dealt with by the 57 act, including the nature and extent of warnings provided to visitors by occupiers. If the warning is sufficient to keep the visitor reasonably safe, the DOC is discharged.

It’s a bit more complicated than than in practice though.

martib

Looking at the OS map there is a perfectly good Bridleway (Pennine Bridleway) that runs into the woods, which you would legally be entitled to ride along.
    Right next to a Car Park.

That seems like a no brainer to me 🙄

ir_bandito
    Free Member

jumble
    Free Member

No.

DOC owed by occupiers is specifically dealt with by the 57 act, including the nature and extent of warnings provided to visitors by occupiers. If the warning is sufficient to keep the visitor reasonably safe, the DOC is discharged.

Are you saying that you do need signs about barbed wire boundary? This isn’t my experience. Electric fence which is difficult to identify certainly.

peterfile
    Free Member

Are you saying that you do need signs about barbed wire boundary? This isn’t my experience. Electric fence which is difficult to identify certainly.

Not necessarily. that’s what I meant by it being a bit more complicated in practice. I’m not very familiar with the caselaw, but from memory the usual test is whether the danger was blatantly obvious that no sign/warning should be needed. So as you’ve pointed out, staring at a bit of barbed wire is very different from an electric fence.

I’d imagine there’s a difference too between barbed wire above head height v waist height from a warning perspective. Or barbed wire where you wouldn’t expect it (similar to the OP scenario – ie a gate being an otherwise normally usable entrance, but for the fact it has barbed wire at head height!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

The countryside is full of barbed wire. IMO there is no need for landowner to put up a sign by every gate. I would be most surprised if the landowner has put up barbed wire at head height over a gate on a footpath. I have seen nothing (worlds or images) in this thread to suggest that is actually what has happened. I understand the wire has been put up on his private property and above a gate to his private property and not on a public footpath

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bored reading so sorry if this has been posted but

We no longer come up the footpath anymore due to him filming us

Does he have your permission to film you? I believe you can ask to see the images he has taken and demand that he delete them, could be wrong though. Do you have access to any small children? If so, borrow one and if he films you call the cops and tell them there’s some dirty old man filming little kiddies.

midlifecrashes

I believe you can ask to see the images he has taken and demand that he delete them, could be wrong though.

Nope, not in a public place, not unless you own the photons that bounced off you and found their way to the camera. In your own house you can set your own rules of course.

al2000

He really doesn’t like bikes, and takes every opportunity he can to complain to the council, neighbours and anyone who will listen.

We stopped using that bit years ago – why cause grief? It’s his land, and there are plenty of other ways in.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I said several times we don’t use the path anymore. The field we cross reaches the path eventually where it isn’t even worth getting back on the bike. He is a tool who I’ve tried to avoid since he made me angry as I could easily see him reporting some bollox to the old bill. He has now gone to the legnths of putting up CCTV signage in the woods. Must be camo’d cameras as I couldn’t see any 😆

al2000

Yeah, I’ve encountered him before and he’s belligerent and aggressive, won’t listen to reason and really doesn’t like bikes.

Plenty of people (non riders) have mentioned him as well, he’s well known to the rangers and a lot of the locals and generally he’s ignored.

Thing is.. He only needs to moan in the right ear once, and it could cause a lot of access related grief. I’ve seen similar things happen in other local spots, and some of the rangers aren’t particularly happy about the number of riders up there anyway.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Obtuse as ever ernie.

Oh look, a personal attack from Junkyard, how unusual.

And on a thread about barbed wire ffs ! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Does he own or rent the land?

I had a ding dong here in the Peaks. Woman ranted and raved that it was her fathers land AND access road. I pointed out they rented. Soon shut the idiot up.

Drac

I had a ding dong here in the Peaks. Woman ranted and raved that it was her fathers land AND access road. I pointed out they rented. Soon shut the idiot up.

I don’t think your helping matters OP the guy sound a numbskull but you then trespass across some land. I know it’s hard to tell but looking at the links above their seems to be legal routes into those woods that you could use.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh look, a personal attack from Junkyard, how unusual.

You were deliberately misinterpreting the thread just as you are deliberately misinterpreting that as a personal attack.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You were deliberately misinterpreting the thread

“deliberately misinterpreting the thread” ! ffs have a day off 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

so you wish to insist that they were asking if it was legal to use barbire in general – looks at thread titles and strokes chin.

Whatever ernie 🙄

As for playing the man clearly you are not having a rest day

Drac

I can give you both a rest week if you don’t stop.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I don’t stop what …. posting smilies ? assuming that’s aimed at me.

so you wish to insist that they were asking if it was legal to use barbire in general

I’m not “insisting” anything. This is a thread about barbed wire JY, get a grip. You can think whatever you want to think.

For the record I assumed wrightyson was asking if the use of barbed wire had become illegal, in the same way that other things which were once legal are no longer so, for example broken glass bedded in mortar on a brick wall was once legal but no longer is. Health and safety and all that. Similarly I have no idea concerning the legality of razor wire, I do know that there is a duty of care towards trespassers, specially when it comes to children and building sites.

If however you think that I was “deliberately misinterpreting the thread” then that’s up to you.

And I have to say, even if I was, I find it quite astonishing that you even want to make a issue out of it.

Anyway, think whatever you want to think 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway back in the rest of the world where there are 2 sides to every story there is a landowner who has done nothing wrong, who has told people repeatedly that bikes and footpaths don’t mix but the same people keep trying their luck. THen they try and sneak round through gates that are not part of any right of way so he puts up something to make it harder to trespass. Add in there is appears to be a perfectly good BW access to where the bikers are trying to get to.

Remind me again who is being unreasonable?

konabunny
    Free Member

Does he own or rent the land?

What difference would that make?

aracer
    Free Member

Well apart from lying to the police that is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you mean this bit?

With reference to the police said man accused me of being threatening during one altercation. Hence avoiding him since.

It’s quite possible that he felt threatened and that he felt the behavior of wrightyson was threatening. Perhaps the persistent trespassing is in itself threatening.
    Just trying to take a common sense approach, all of the angst seems to come from people trying to ride on footpaths which (not opening a land access debate)is currently not on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s quite possible that he felt threatened and that he felt the behavior of wrightyson was threatening. Perhaps the persistent trespassing is in itself threatening.

How many times do I have to state that the footpath is hardly rideable and on each occasion with the idiot I was pushing up. You in particular mike see me as the big offender here.

On the occasion where he said I was being threatening, I had warned him that if he attempted to touch me or my bike there would be consequences. He prior to this point had tried to block my way physically rushing across the path whilst I was pushing up and stood there filming me.

If you go back to the op all I asked was whether (because someone else said it was not) it was illegal to put barb(ed)wire above a gate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In context is the gate part of the footpath? Is it a gate you go through while on the footpath. Also pushing bikes on footpaths is a grey area.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No this gate is from a private field adj to the footpath. It then accesses the field the footpath is in. As in two metres away. Its a deliberate attempt to stop us or anyone else for that matter as loads of dog walkers used that field as an easier access to the woods above.
    You must be able to see the idiot we’re dealing with here from the other comments. And who ffs puts up CCTV signs in the woods 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As far as I know he can do what he likes with the gate.

this gate is from a private field adj to the footpath.

The clue would be in the words you used, it’s private property, he could put a barbed wire and electric fence across it if he wanted to. You have no right of access through the gate.

On the occasion where he said I was being threatening, I had warned him that if he attempted to touch me or my bike there would be consequences. He prior to this point had tried to block my way physically rushing across the path whilst I was pushing up and stood there filming me.

So you threatened him, glad that is cleared up.

You must be able to see the idiot we’re dealing with

It’s becoming clear

And who ffs puts up CCTV signs in the woods

Probably someone who is sick of people trespassing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry at what point are we trespassing? Pushing a bike up a path is not trespassing nor is it a grey area. He told me he would stop me moving any further by pushing me back down the path, at this point he’s filming and about a metre from my face. Now that’s a challenge if I ever heard one. This was the second and last time I came across him because I no longer use the path I’m entitled to push my bike along.
    Keep blaming me mikey boy if it makes you feel better, but all I asked initially was about the barb(ered)wire above the gate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And on the barbed wire it’s private land he can do what he wants

irelanst
    Free Member

Sorry at what point are we trespassing?

No this gate is from a private field adj to the footpath. It then accesses the field the footpath is in.

Do you have permission to be in the “private field”? If not you’ve answered your own question.

aracer
    Free Member
    cruzcampo
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    Sorry at what point are we trespassing? Pushing a bike up a path is not trespassing nor is it a grey area. He told me he would stop me moving any further by pushing me back down the path, at this point he’s filming and about a metre from my face. Now that’s a challenge if I ever heard one. This was the second and last time I came across him because I no longer use the path I’m entitled to push my bike along.
    Keep blaming me mikey boy if it makes you feel better, but all I asked initially was about the barb(ered)wire above the gate.

Why not just take the “peaty” way down and push your bike if not ridable?

If I was the farmer, and you were using my private land as a cheeky shortcut becuase you didn’t want to ride down or push down a Steve Pete Footpath © i’d be putting barb wire and bear traps on my land, perhaps even a shotgun trap. Now GTFO off my private land 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not all that grey – see page 7

I read that and I’d say a statement that Pushing bikes on a footpath is legal would be black and white, this I call gray.

There is good evidence, although no direct case law, to support the view that
    pushing a cycle on a footpath is not illegal

Still pushing a bike across a field that has no ROW on it is definitely not allowed without permission from the land owner.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Barbwire above a gate. Illegal?’ is closed to new replies.