• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bar Widths
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Fitted a new set of Funn Fatboys in the 810mm flavour. A quick spin up and down the street and I quite like the wide stance that the bars facilitate. Any body got any real world experience of clipping trees and crashing and burning or will they be a revelation on the trails?

wwaswas

Trails round here were built for 730mm max. Any more and you risk smashed knuckles. The trees are bereft of bark at bar height.

rocketman
    Free Member

Any body got any real world experience of clipping trees and crashing and burning

You have got to be kidding

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grazze53317
    Free Member

Don’t go to Cannock, I struggle to get my 750s through the trees.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mostly my 740mm bars aren’t a problem but around Stanmer it’s borderline for

clipping trees

and

crashing

but for the

buming

you want Kemptown 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

The final gate into the carpark at coed-y-brenin is about 780mm. I found out when I had the gate held open for me…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Trails round here were built for 730mm max. Any more and you risk smashed knuckles. The trees are bereft of bark at bar height.

You need to walk down your trails with a chainsaw attached to each end of a bar ~850mm wide. Don’t try to oil them while they are running. 😉

wwaswas

any wider and the horse riders start using them 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Any body got any real world experience of clipping trees and crashing and burning

You have got to be kidding

I meant in terms of the wider bar experience rather than general ineptness. 🙂

wwaswas

On trails I know moving to even a 10mm wider bar each side makes a difference to how often I clip trees etc.

So yes, making a big leap will mean your knuckles are at risk on trails where you ‘know the lines’ on new ones less so but it’s still an issue.

chiefgrooveguru

Love my 800mm bars but they don’t fit on natural woodland trails, especially Stanmer. 710 feels too narrow, 760 ok but a bit difficult for the tree gaps, 740 fits me and the trails. Keeping the big bars to put on for away trips – they are really great on rough fast descents.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve clipped a tree with my 780 bars.

Thankfully being wide they let me regain control fairly easily.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’ve clipped plenty of trees but only one so far has taken me out since I moved up to 780mm. 810mm suggests you are over compensating 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

😆 😆 … 😡

tomhoward

I’ve clipped bars in most lengths from 585 to 785*. I’ve settled at 750.

*all in the real world

chiefgrooveguru

I think I clip my bars less often when they’re really wide because I’m constantly paranoid they’re going to cause a huge crash – but that means I ride a lot slower when it gets tight and twisty, which rather defeats the object of a bigger bar…

zero-cool
    Free Member

Never had a problem with 780 or 800mm wide bars. Normally if it’s going to be too narrow for them the trail was too narrow for much smaller bars.

Northwind

I’ve found a few things I can’t do with 780mm- some bridge guard rails and fences and yep some trees. But it’s pretty uncommon.

chiefgrooveguru

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/richie-rudes-yeti-sb6-bike-check-ews-round-5-aspen-snowmass-2016.html#cid1472089

740mm bars and a 60mm stem on the world’s fastest enduro racer’s bike!

cheese@4p

Does anyone else get a buzz from riding through gaps much smaller than their bar width, albeit at a slowish speed?

andysredmini
    Free Member

There is a trail by me that I no longer ride now I’m on 785mm bars. It runs along side a mesh fence with trees on the other side and was very tight with 680mm bars. You are guaranteed to hit the fence or a tree at least once just hopefully not on the steep bit. You have to slow right down or wheelie and turn the bars for some bits which I guess are 600mm max. Fun every now and then though.

benp1

I have bar ends on the end of my 750mm carbon bars, it’s like having hooks, they feel a bit wide for woodsy singletrack

I went out the other night on a bike with jones loops and ergon grips with bar ends. They are literally like hooks

Caught some brambley/nettley/hedge like thing on a path, wasn’t fun! Got very stung!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bar Widths’ is closed to new replies.