Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bar Width
  • soobalias
    Free Member

What is the correct width bar for the fashion concious rider in 2015
    Does it vary with wheel size?

(lets exclude SS please – i understand)

simply for the sake of tinkering, last night i fitted some 800mm bars to my full suss, up from 680mm. If i work out how to get it out of the shed I will test it tonight. I am aware that this was the 2013 goto size. Maybe i need to increase my wheel size to balance things up, maybe i should grow some shoulders, or have a poo.

If i want to look cool on my bike, what size should the bars be?

wwaswas

The singletrack round here is built to “720mm Max” gauge.

I’ve got the scars on my knuckles from trying to ride with some 780’s…

deviant
    Free Member

Provided this is a serious post..(and i think i’m detecting some sarcasm!?)..then your 800mm bars are a fine starting point, unless you have arms like a monkey or are a genuine 6ft+ then you may need to cut them down at some point….like to get the bike out of the shed for instance?!

Seriously though, i had 760mm bars and they felt awesome for uplift stuff at BPW but could be a bit of chore through trees out on normal trails….anyway, i went wider still and found 780mm to be impractical on the trail and also put me in what felt like a precarious position on the bike (i’m only 5ft 9ins)….i was too splayed out and felt that an ‘over the bars’ moment was waiting to happen.

I’ve since gone down to 740 for normal riding but still stick the 760’s on for uplift days.
    with 800mm bars you have the luxury of lopping of 5mm from each end until you find what’s perfect for you.

Northwind

How wide a keyboard for posting on stw?

bigblackshed

This wide…………….. Stretches hands apart as far as they will go until your nose hits the gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg key.

momo

bigblackshed – Member
    This wide…………….. Stretches hands apart as far as they will go until your nose hits the gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg key.

I know I need a new keyboard now, mine appears to be covered in a coffee like substance….

duckeee
    Free Member

This wide.

I hear it’s bang on trend for 2015.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s an algorithmic function of how fluoro your trousers are * your lycrosity – negative rise + plus size divided by wheelsize

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you can’t x-up its too wide.

soobalias
    Free Member

*definite hint of sarcasm post*

I might like it wide, I was after a concensus to see if its worth nipping 5mm off per time and riding, or am i likely to be better off going 50% (760mm) and then trying from there.

bars are spare/parts binners.

soobalias
    Free Member

thestabiliser seems to be bang on trend.

in reality, at my age, i can only hope for 2014 standards.

wtf is that superstar link

Onzadog
    Free Member

Use lock on grips. Slide grips in and out until happy. Cut off excess.

I move from 680 to 750 only because my brake levers wouldn’t go inboard enough. I didn’t really notice the move to wider bars but I bloody notice if I get on something with smaller bars. Even at 750, my gloves have polished the outer lock on collar so I guess I could go a bit wider. I’m 5’10” of average proportions on a medium Turner.

DezB
    Free Member

I tried too wide and found it too wide, so now I’ve trimmed to just right. Which I find just right.

kristoff
    Free Member

Everyone is going to circa 800mm bars (or at least that seems to be the trend).

I run 740s on mine and find them very comfortable, the trees aren’t getting further apart!

nemesis
    Free Member

I tried too wide and found it too wide, so now I’ve trimmed to just right. Which I find just right.

Very strong.

NormalMan

740mm is perfect…For me*

*YASMV (your arm span may vary) 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have raceface 785mm on my hardtail, mostly I’m happy with them except on some of the tighter worst single track, where I have to be a bit more careful. I could probably loser a bit and not notice, but it’s not so much of a problem that I can be arsed to actually cut them down.

chestrockwell

I’ve got 750mm on my 29″ fs and that feels good (6’2″).

I had 710mm flats on my 26″ ht but they felt too narrow. I fitted some 710mm risers and they do not feel too narrow. I think it’s something to do with witchcraft.

I also have 580mm on my retro stuff. It doesn’t make me die.

oxym0r0n

(======/==============================O==============================\=====) This wide is good

medoramas
    Free Member

I had 680. Then I put some bar ends, lost about 40mm of the “usable bar width”. So I went for 760. It looked ridiculous with the endbars and 90mm stem… But it felt nice downhill.
    But it was very unstable uphill.

Gone back to 680. I love the bar ends more than wide bars… 😆

crezzy

I’m 5ft 6 but run 800mm bars on my fat bike ,I find running IT with a 50 mm stem works perfect for me .on my other bikes I run 680mm with a 90mm stem .think it’s really down to personal choice rather than following the herd

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got 740mm wide bars on my HT and 780mm wide bars on my FS and both feel right so I guess it might be related to the bike and it’s intended use.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Optimum width for my liking is 760-780 with a 45-50mm stem. Anything wider than 740 on my local trails, which involve threading through tight and twisty tree lined singletrack for a good length of most rides, makes things not very enjoyable. I am running 720mm low rise Easton Havens on a 29er hardtail and, while not “wide enough” by today’s standards, it is appropriate for riding the local singletrack.

soobalias
    Free Member

does anyone have a graph?

i notice most people like their bars an even number of centimeters, but all quotes in mil. As the suggestion is to cut 5mm at a time, why does nobody rate their 730’s, 750’s or 770’s?
    i think everyone is as lazy as me and cuts once and rides forever.

considering going 777’s

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for 740, perfect for me (6’2″)

zippykona

On going from my 29 to a my 26 it always felt very twitchy.
    Experimented with a great big front tyre on but it was 740 mm bars that fixed it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tried:

720 – great
    760 – greater
    800 – bit ponderous but not as bad as expected
    780 – greatest for open trails, but requires some faff to get round trees.

Problem is, unlike pedals, or a seatpost, or tyres, bars are a bit more of a faff to change between rides.

DezB
    Free Member

I found this one. I think its a few years out of date.

deviant
    Free Member

i notice most people like their bars an even number of centimeters,

Nope, my favourite ever bars were Sunline V1’s that were either 747 or 745…cant remember exactly though?!

wwaswas

bars are a bit more of a faff to change between rides.

I’ve improvised something with a pair of dropper posts.

The trail really comes alive.

Northwind

soobalias – Member

Some sort of

BAR GRAPH??!?1!

DezB
    Free Member

BAR GRAPH

Dammit! 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

*launches choccy bar to Northwind at the back of the class*

also loving the 747 option.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i notice most people like their bars an even number of centimeters,

My 800mm are actually 777mm, I have no idea why, I suspect because they’re 800mm long if you straighten out the bends?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bar Width’ is closed to new replies.