Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bar quandary……….. risers v flats on an XC 29er
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My bikes currently both run the same bar 720mm wide, 9deg back-sweep and 3 deg up-sweep flat bars, one in carbon and the other alloy on the FS & the HT respectively.

I’ve gone and won myslef a nice set of Pro Tharsis XC Carbon bars in 740mm width, 9eg back-sweep, 4 deg up-sweep but 15mm rise.

I’ve not ridden a riser bar for years, since I first got a 29er about 7 years ago in fact, so I’m in a bit of a quandry what to do with them.

I could stick them on the HT and drop the stem 15-20mm to compensate for the extra rise, but risers just look a bit daft on 29er XC HT’s IMHO

JoB
    Free Member

is there any reason (aside from the validation of your peers) you can’t just, you know, try it to see if you can get on with the feel and aesthetics?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hey…be nice.It’s not like he just killed a cat.

steve_b77
    Free Member

JoB – Member
    is there any reason (aside from the validation of your peers) you can’t just, you know, try it to see if you can get on with the feel and aesthetics?

Worst attempt at spotting a stealth add ever 😆

JoB
    Free Member

i could do with some flat bars for my 29er, let me know

avdave2

I’ve gone and won myslef a nice set of Pro Tharsis XC Carbon bars in 740mm width, 9eg back-sweep, 4 deg up-sweep but 15mm rise.

Whatever you do don’t mention that you won them when you put them in the classifieds! 🙂

kayak23

My bikes currently both run the same bar 720mm wide

The late nineties called, etc…
    😉

Splash-man
    Free Member

Dial in some more sag on your forks to compensate for the 15mm rise that you would probably never notice anyway ?

OwenP

So you use the same bar on both your bikes, but is the geometry stack height exactly the same on both bikes?

Handy coincidence if so, but if they aren’t the same, you could probably already compare whether you prefer a higher or lower bar position and decide if 15mm more rise on either bike would be preferable.

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends on preference and bike fit. I’d heard all the stuff about gotta have flat on 29 and was hesitant about just whacking a 20mm I already had on. I did, I like it.

Only one way to find out!

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought my bars needed to be low on my XC 29er, so I had flat bars. Tried all sorts with them, was always really sketchy in the corners. Down to the fork offset too, but switching to risers really helped. I don’t look particularly racy any more but it’s still just as fast to ride up and far faster down as I am not bricking it in every corner 🙂

NormalMan

I have 2 29er HTs. One has 10mm risers, the other has flats. My son has 20mm risers on his xc 29er.

Give them a go. You might like them.

crashrash

you need to try them out! Extra width and height will make a difference in the corners on the way down. Can’t see why it would make a difference on the way up. You might be surprised at the feel …..and like it!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Splash-man – Member
    Dial in some more sag on your forks to compensate for the 15mm rise that you would probably never notice anyway ?

I’m pretty sure I’d notice going from 80mm of travel left once sagged to 65mm.

So you use the same bar on both your bikes, but is the geometry stack height exactly the same on both bikes?

Funnily enough the measurement from centre of saddle to bars is within 10mm and the saddle to bars drop is closer than that.

I don’t look particularly racy any more but it’s still just as fast to ride up and far faster down as I am not bricking it in every corner

I don’t have any issues with my set up, hence the concern about sticking bars on that are 15mm higher than the current set up

molgrips
    Free Member

Try it and see?

You might not have a specific issue currently, but you might just like it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bar quandary……….. risers v flats on an XC 29er’ is closed to new replies.