Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bar length difference between your bikes
  • sandwicheater

Picked up a child transportation bike yesterday and the bars are 650mm (Genesis IO).

Coming from my normal 750mm it felt just plane wrong and will be the first thing I’ll change. Maybe 720mm or 750mm.

Got me wondering, what’s the biggest difference in bar lengths between your bikes? Does it take a while to get used to riding one/other?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I have 760 renthals on 3 bikes, but 710 flats on my 29er, because the riding position is a bit different I don’t really notice it. (Longer frame, stem on the 29er). 650 would definitely feel odd nowadays.

amedias
    Free Member

640 – 720 on MTB’s, takes all of 5 mins to get used to it again.

440/420 on bikes with drop bars, no issue swapping between them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

DH – 800mm
    Trail – 780
    4x – 760
    29er – 760

All renthals, but a mix fatbars and fatbar lites, all with the same grips (enduro xl’s)

warpcow
    Free Member

My commuter/child-transporter is 600-ish mm. MTB is 760 and 750mm. Can’t say I’ve ever actually thought about the difference in terms of bars, just them being different bikes with bars that are appropriate to them. Maybe I use them often enough that I’ve gotten used to any difference, but I don’t remember it ever being an issue.

honourablegeorge

Sir HC – Member
    DH – 800mm
    Trail – 780
    4x – 760
    29er – 760

All renthals, but a mix fatbars and fatbar lites, all with the same grips (enduro xl’s)

Fatbars are 780s, i thought – so the DH can’t be 800? And the lites are 740, so none of those could be lites.

SirHC

Fatbars are 780s, i thought – so the DH can’t be 800? And the lites are 740, so none of those could be lites.

Enduro XL grips have a collar only at one end and so add 20mm to the overall width of the bar.

Northwind

760s on the 2 big bikes, 750s on the xc bike and the commuter. Every so often I get a new, wider bar, ride it for a little while, then cut it down.

I used to have shorter ones on the commuter- it just makes sense, doesn’t it? But I’ve ended up with a fairly mountainbikey position on it anyway so the wide bars feel more right. I don’t think it’s anything to do with the differences, more to do with the way I like bikes to ride.

honourablegeorge

Sir HC – Member

Enduro XL grips have a collar only at one end and so add 20mm to the overall width of the bar.

🙂

igm

420 – road
    680 to 750 – off road

The bars suit the bikes, though the big bike might yet get 780s on it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

760mm on the ‘Nu Skool’ geo full sus (Scout).

711mm on the more traditional 26″ steel hardtail.

711mm on the Kona PhD ‘Gentlemen’s commute conversion’.

All bar widths feel ideal for the riding I do on them with no time needed to get use to the feel.

sandwicheater

Maybe I just need to give it some time.

First spin last night had me feeling like my head may explode with the odd feeling. No ones head has exploded due to miss sized bar width has it?

m360
    Free Member

My XC bike has a 580mm flat bar. My town bike came with 620mm risers. Don’t get on with them, don’t need them, 580mm flat on the way!

Happy for everyone to tell me how slow and rubbish I must be 8)

mjsmke

750 on the full sus trail.
    720 on the SS rigid.
    420 on the road bike.

Had to change the bars on the SS from 680 to 720 shortly after i bought the new full sus and got use to wide bars.

m360
    Free Member

Anyone found a correlation between tyre size and bar width?

For example, a HT running a 2.1″ and then a 2.4″ front tyre, would there be any difference in the tyre that may make the use of a wider bar more preferable?

Just wondering if wider tyres require more steering input for example.

tonyg2003

750-740mm on 29ers
    440mm on road bikes
    320-340mm on Brompton

Coming back from a commute on the Brompton to take out a 29er is a bizarre feeling!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bar length difference between your bikes’ is closed to new replies.