Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bar bag on a Jones H bar? Any ideas for fitting?
  • Richardw
    Free Member

Any ideas welcome: about to go do some off road touring and want to fit an ortlieb bar bag to the front. The standard fitting hangs over the stem to stop it rotating under the load of the bag, but that’s not going to work with the H bar (full loop type). Anyone seen a way of doing that or have any good ideas? Thanks

Chew
    Free Member

Ask Beth at Wildcat Gear. There is a Jones Bar bag in the offing, just not sure if its ready for production yet.

richpips
    Free Member

I guess you could fit a short stem to the outer loop for the wire to wrap around?

Richardw
    Free Member

Cheers guys..Richpips -think you have something there. Something like a tri bar clamp on the loop might be the answer. Thanks.

singlespeedstu

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9Fjrgq]2011_0507wildcat0002[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9FjqUj]2011_0507wildcat0001[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

jameso

A trad bar bag fitted to the front loop will put the weight a fair way out front? Can’t see it doing the handling much good or staying put off-road unless done up really tight.

stevemakin

[/url] ECR by Steve J Makin, on Flickr[/img]

SJS cycles T bar will allow the Ortlieb to be fitted, however I’ve no idea if it will be allow it to be opened ?

stevemakin

and I’ve seen photos of an additional stem added to the front of the Jones loop (but pointing backwards into the empty spave) that allows the cable to perform its function but strikes me that the bag will be too far forward and be unwieldy

stevemakin
    jameso

From Steve’s link .. also a useful idea for a Garmin etc.
    One of the comments at the bottom is positive about the loop/t-bar/ortlieb combo using an extension block.

crogthomas
    Free Member

If I wanted to mount the bag on the front loop, I’d just use a longer bit of cable (brake cable) and loop it under the stem as it was designed to. But I echo the comments above about the distance in-front of the steerer that it is. I think I’d prefer the accessory mount idea. Or another stem and some old bars cut down to 10cm long.

Richardw
    Free Member

Yeah, hadn’t thought about handling. It’s for some long distance rough stuff touring so I will opt for some old brahma bars instead to get a different choice of hand position.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bar bag on a Jones H bar? Any ideas for fitting?’ is closed to new replies.