Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bar and stem combo for a trail/xc 29er?
  • scunny
    Free Member

So I’ve picked myself up a boardman pro 29 frame that I’m going to build into a xc/trail bike. Spec is standard fare, fox forks, shimano brakes, hope wheels etc, but I’m stuck on the bar and stem. Do I want rise or flat bars? I have 720mm renthals on my current bike. Maybe a low rise 700mm set?

Am I right in thinking I’d want a stem with a small amount of rise and flip it?

Stoner
    Free Member

I had a bike science fit a few years ago and my grips tend to end up a few inches below my saddle. WHether you do that with a flipped stem or flat bars is up to you IMO. I have flat swept bars from On-One and a +5deg stem

NormalMan

I’m running a 60mm stem and 740mm Renthal fatbar lite bars.

Bars and saddle look pretty much the same height. Although I’ve not actually measured it in any detail.

Surely it should be what feels right for you?

nickwatson
    Free Member

Agree, it’s totally what feels right for you.

I’ve got Renthal bars cut to 760mm, 30mm rise, with a Hope 35mm stem. Originally got 10mm rise Renthal bars, but just didn’t feel right for me. Other people think I’ve got a weird set-up!

Nick

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve tried various combos of flat v’s riser and stem lengths. Currently running a 70mm stem with Sunline risers as the flat bars didn’t feel right. Just got some Mary Bars which I’m looking forward to trying soon.

It’s too personal for anyone else to say what is right and what is wrong!

chakaping
    Free Member

Comes down to trial and error but I think a short stem and wide, flat bar is a good place to start.

Other people think I’ve got a weird set-up!

That’s because you have.

😛

scunny
    Free Member

Yeah I agree, it should be what feels right to me. But as I have nothing lying about to try first, I’ll need to buy something as starting point, happy to change if and when I feel the need.

Think I’ll go 70mmX6 stem flipped with some low rise 700mm bars and see how I feel.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Scunny – let me know if you want to try some different width flat bars, i have two nuke proof bars, one at around 700 and one uncut at around 800 i think.

I now use something a lot more swept back, (on-one OG bars) which puts all the rise at the ends i guess – just find more comfortable on the wrist..but then my riding isn’t exactly aggressive most of the time!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bar and stem combo for a trail/xc 29er?’ is closed to new replies.