Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Banshee SPITFIRE owners… sizing?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Anyone currently running a Spitfire could you help me out with sizing please. How tall are you, what size do you run with what stem length?

I’ve got a mk1 at the min and am about to press buy on a 2016 frame. Totally torn between medium and large.

I’m 5ft10, my mk1 is a medium I run a 70mm stem but is a touch too small I think. However the new ones are supposed to be longer.

Leaning towards a large and running a 30mm stem at the min.

Not sure how the larger wheels will affect it too?

Any recommendations based on personal experience much appreciated.

momo

2015 bike here, just shy of 6’1″ on a large with a 50mm stem. Certainly wouldn’t want it any smaller!

loverofminkys

Assuming you are who I think you are! Give creation cycles a shout. They are in Nottingham and are banshee dealers I think. Really too guys who ride up at Bestwood a lot. They may have a demo or similar

scruff
    Free Member

Just under 6ft on large and 50mm stem. I’ve tried a medium and it was way smaller. It’s not a very long reach, a friends new orange 4 is a medium and reach feels similar.

chiefgrooveguru

The mk2 is about 25mm longer in reach size by size. As you’re running a 70mm stem on a medium mk1 I’d definitely go with a large and a 35-50mm stem.

teethgrinder

I’m 5’10” – I went with a large 2015, 50mm stem, 650b drop outs and 26″ wheels. Was very stable with the long wheelbase.

Then when my frame went back to Ison under warranty for a misaligned rear end (wear on one side of the CCDB InLine stanchion) I was offered another 2016 large. This is significantly larger than a 2015 large, so I asked for and got a medium (larger than a 2015 medium and only a little bit smaller than a 2015 large).

Still running the 50mm stem, but also 26″ drop outs now, and although still stable and an awesome bike, it’s much more fun to jump and pop off things now.

I certainly don’t feel it’s held me back going to a smaller (relatively) frame, but I guess a lot of it is down to upper body and arm length, rather than total overall height.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Teethgrinder, do you have any pics of you on a medium? (That sounds weird but at a similar height it would allow me to see how someone our height fits on them).

Nearest dealer is a 5 hour round trip, that’s not happening for me at the minute so I have to try and gauge this right using the net. EDIT, need to look up creation cycles. Cheers… possibly just means they have an account with Ison Distribution though right?

Loverofminkeys… who are you?

Scruff, what year is yours?

Thanks again everyone so far

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 9″ and rode a 2014 medium Spitfire with a 50mm stem, I think a large would have been too long for me.

Bought mine from Creation Cycles, Liam was great to deal with.

teethgrinder

Sadly not, sorry – where are you based – if in the North East, you can have a go on mine.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m based in the Midlands.

Cheers anyway

scruff
    Free Member

Mines a 2016.

loverofminkys

I’m Adam holman. Sharon’s husband.
    I’m not 100% about creation but I know they have sorted out a couple of guys with a dark side and have I think their team guys on banshees and they are local!
    Let me know when your sorted and we can sort out a ride

chilled76
    Free Member

Ah cheers Adam. Yeh that’d be good.

I’ll give then a ring

chilled76
    Free Member

Righto so they no longer carry Banshee bikes. Back to a 5 hour round trip to try one then.

Any more 2016 owners out there who can advise?

dingleberry
    Free Member

5′ 10″ on a 2015 large with a 35mm stem here. Medium felt tiny in comparison. 2016 geometry doesn’t look much different to me… I’d go large again.

chilled76
    Free Member

Dingleberry.. any pics of you on a large? Again a 5ft10 visual comparison would be handy.

chiefgrooveguru

The mk2 is about 25mm longer in reach size by size. As you’re running a 70mm stem on a medium mk1 I’d definitely go with a large and a 35-50mm stem.

I think I must have had my brain turned off when I posted this!

70mm stem on a medium mk1, so 45mm stem on a medium mk2 for the same reach. The large will feel huge compared to your medium mk1.

To add a bit of clarity to proceedings, the mk1 is shorter travel, smaller, different suspension design etc etc. The mk2 has the 2013/2014/2015 version (they’re all basically identical, just changes in colours and addition of things like bottle cage bolts and stealth dropper routing), then the 2016 version is slightly different geometry (lower BB, longer reach, steeper seat angle) but otherwise the same. The 2017 version is a bigger change with only two dropout positions, different dropouts, different tubing, a bit lighter, etc.

I’m 5’10.5″ on a medium 2014 with a 50mm stem and either 740mm or 800mm bars depending on where I’m riding.

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone know when the 2017 ones will be available?

fingerbang
    Free Member

i have a 2013 XL with 50mm stem. I’m 6″ 2′ and a half. Its the best fitting bike I’ve ever had, although the seat tube could do with shortening as the reverb sits up to its collar. Although a 2017 one addresses this nicely.

I have disproportionately long arms though so probably need more reach but the seat tube is about the longest I can stand.

Ideally I’d get slightly more reach so, off topic, wouldn’t mind an XL Patrol to replace my DH bike and spitty

re 2017 frames. I wouldn’t hold your breath. check out Keith Scotts (builttoride) comments in the MTBR thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/2017-banshee-bikes-news-rumours-speculation-etc-1016049-4.html

dingleberry
    Free Member

Dingleberry.. any pics of you on a large? Again a 5ft10 visual comparison would be handy.

Lots of photos of the bike itself, but surprisingly few with it being ridden! About the best I can find:

chilled76
    Free Member

That’s brilliant matey thanks. You’re definitely 5ft10 right? In which case I’m definitely leaning towards a large.

Does anyone know how much.longer the 2016 large is compared to the 2015?

chiefgrooveguru

That’s me on a 2014 medium: https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/981137

5’10.5″ tall, 6’2″ arm span.

I’d definitely fit fine on a large but I like how the medium feels quite neat (though it felt huge compared to my previous hardtail). My current hardtail is about 30mm longer (but the stem is 15mm shorter to shrink it a little).

However I’m better at holding a smaller bike on course than I am at whipping about a bigger bike – I have a hypothesis that your physiology has quite a large bearing on what geometry/sizing will work best for you, which is overlooked in the trend towards ever larger bikes.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Definitely 5’10”, though people always think I’m 6ft for some reason… 😀 I’m a bit of a lump rather than a skinny racing snake, so maybe that’s why the large looks alright for me – don’t have any problems flinging it around and feels nice and stable when it gets fast and rough.

Like chief says, probably depends on what kind of bike you feel best on… You’d most likely be alright on either, but large was definitely the one for me. Don’t forget a stem length can be the difference between two sizes too – a medium with a 50mm stem is only 5mm shorter than my large with a 35mm – at least as far as ETT.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Banshee SPITFIRE owners… sizing?’ is closed to new replies.