Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Banshee Spitfire, Orange Four, Banshee Phantom or Orange Segment?
  • spectabilis
    Free Member

I have been riding hardtails for a fair few years (knocking on 10 since my last full suss) last year I have been riding rigid SS 29+ exclusively. Recently a few more friends have eventually been bitten by the MTB bug and it seems that trail centre riding is becoming a more regular occurrence so I’m thinking of building a squishy both ends geary thing.

The shortlist in the title is not only based on the specifics of the bikes but I good deals on those brands also.

I’ve demo’d the Segment at BPW back to back with Five’s and A160’s and I definitely preferred the Segment there and also believe the Segment the best choice for my local stuff.

I tried the Four recently just on a carpark and I liked the fit n feel of that too.
    I don’t hear the haters when it comes to Orange, I think their geometries are spot on and great riding bikes.

I’m yet to jump on a Banshee but will be soon. I like their ethos and adjustable geometry is a plus too.

I’ll like the Phantom for the same reasons I got on with the Segment, I’m thinking of building them with 27.5 plus wheelsets.

Now although I’ve happily ridden the trail centres including Stiniog fully rigid no problem I’m obviously off the pace with the rest of the group on 160mm Gnarpoons, I don’t really want to go for something with that much travel (A160/Rune) as it would be wasted on my local stuff.

I fear the short travel 29ers will get out of their depth a bit at places like Stiniog so here the longer travel 650b’ers tickle me fancy….

Can someone nudge me one way or the other!

Shackleton

I fear the short travel 29ers will get out of their depth a bit at places like Stiniog

😆 😆 😆 Not. A. Chance!

Phantom prototypes were ridden to good effect in the EWS without apparent issues. Have a read of the pinkbike/vital/nsmb reviews or watch the bike mag bible tests.

I know I’m biased but I love my Phantom and find the suspension feel is much better than a single pivot for rough stuff and bottom out. I didn’t like the floppy steering feel of slack angle 27.5/26ers like the spitfire. The only time I have had issue with the short travel on the Phantom is when you enter really, really chopped up DH stuff without preparing yourself mentally first. The shorter travel bikes are for picking up and moving around not using as rock ploughs.

I don’t think 27+ would be a good idea either as the BB would be very low then, perilously so.

chakaping
    Free Member

29er all the way, sounds like you’ve already decided anyway.

Any of the bikes you’re considering will be hard work on the tougher runs at Stiniog – but you will destroy your pals everywhere else (possibly).

Gotama
    Free Member

I put some plus wheels on my banshee prime in the low setting and it does make it too low. You’d have to run it in the high setting and then fit a slack set to sort the head angle. Or maybe medium and a longer fork. Either way it requires some fiddling. I went back to 29er wheels as I prefer them fwiw. And if you’re worried about the phantom being too light on travel then the prime is more monster truck yet doesn’t feel like it has too much on mellow trails although I guess it’s only 135mm.

mark88

I asked a few questions re Spitfire v Phantom on the Banshee Spitfire thread here which may be of interest to you.
    I did a Banshee demo, everyone who rode the Phantom commented on how capable and fun it was. I eventually settled on the Sptifire as I wanted something burlier and confidence inspiring when things get rough – I haven’t been disappointed. If it was primarily for trail centres as you suggest, a Phantom would have been my preferred choice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Spitfire, Orange Four, Banshee Phantom or Orange Segment?’ is closed to new replies.