• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by akak.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Banshee Rune / Spitfire owners
  • kendo954
    Free Member

What way have you routed your rear brake/mech cables?

I have mine inside the swing arm, but nearly every other pic online iv looked at have the cable running on the outside like this –

mine being like this –

to me it is neater looking? even on banshees site they have them running on the outside? any reason or just personal choice?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Interesting thought. I have mine routed outside, mostly because that’s the more obvious way.
    On first thought I would have said that I’d worry about the cable fouling in the linkage and the brake hose being neatly scissored in half on a hard landing but the more I think about it the less likely that seems. As the rear compresses the cable tends to bow outwards so would this be enought to keep it out of harms way.?
    Then again, this same bowing under compression action would be rubbing the cable against the inside of the swingarm rather than pushing away from it.. would higher rate of wear be an issue.? Especially inside the swingarm where it would be harder to spot….!?

Blimey I have thought about this way too in depth.!! 😯 🙂

kendo954
    Free Member

hmmm, i just built mine last week and it seemed the obvious way to do it.

then browsing the web last night i noticed most are routed on the outside so just seeing what other peoples opinions are, when i was setting up the shock with no air and in full travel it all looked fine cable wise!

Shackleton

I initially routed mine inside until I noticed that the hose flexed into the tyre on compression. I couldn’t stop it happening so routed it outside.

fingerbang
    Free Member

spitty v2 owner here. I have mine on the outside as I don’t want the cables interfering with the linkage at full compression. Its slightly less neat I know but isn’t offensive to the eyes. I’ve put frame tape on the relevant spot so there’s no chain rub damage.

The only offensive bit of cable is for my non stealth reverb – not sure about the tourniquet method in the above photo though!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

So what happens with the cables under full compression then. Where do they end up.? I might have to give this a go myself as I’ve brushed my ankle on the gear cable once or twice on the rough stuff and have worried a tiny bit about actually catching it on something.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Stealth reverb all the way for me.. Having that little hole in the seattube go unused would drive me up the wall..! 😀

Sui
    Free Member

mines outside. If you route internally it will pinch and rub a lot more. The routing is a bit annoying as you’ve got to put helicopter tape everywhere..

fingerbang
    Free Member

I recall this cropping up in the MTBR forum and the consensus was that outside was the best way. Keith Scott himself might’ve chipped in but can’t remember. It seriously might be worth trawling through the 80 page thread there!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

80 page.!!!! Hmm, think I’ll maybe just live with it the way it is.! Don’t want to void the warranty. If I slice the brake hose and kill myself I wouldn’t be able to claim for it.!! 😀

crazymuddyape
    Free Member

Ha! That was my bike on the mtbr forum that came in for some criticism cause i had routed the cable and hose inside the swing arm. people must really examine those pictures… i must admit i ignored the advice and left them as they were, due mostly to laziness. a year later i’ve had no pinches, no tyre rub and no wear (although i did put some heli tape inside the uprights). I routed them that way cause i’m a bike tart any paint rub would be out of sight ;o)

kendo954
    Free Member

^^^^ perfect, that’s what I wanted to read…

It is so much neater looking, I think I’ll run with it.

Mine was getting a bit of tyre rub when I first routed it (spinning in the stand) so I routed it a different way… I’ll take a pic tonight if anyone is interested 😉

volatilemike
    Free Member

Done mine half & half, Gear cable on the inside & rear brake outside…mainly do to laziness I wont be changing it.

akak
    Free Member

Started out but have moved them inside. No issues but the gear cable isn’t sitting as well as it could, it needs a bit of rotation to keep it in the tidy position. I have never seen an official opinion about it which would have been nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Rune / Spitfire owners’ is closed to new replies.