Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Banshee Rune Large frame sizing
  • metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Hi all

Basically to cut a very long frustrating story short i’ve just received my Banshee Rune after waiting 3 months. my Problem is i ordered a Large but when measuring the frame the seat tube is 470mm (18.5″ large) but the top tube is 584mm (23″)(medium) has any one got either a medium or large banshee rune 2013-14 who could quickly measure theirs to see what exactly i have just spent all my hard earned cash on.

Thanks

philfive
    Free Member

On my medium it’s 540

RustyMac

Not got one to measure but just to check, are you measuring just the top tube length or the effective top tube length as given in the geometry chart?

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Philfive- thats right its a medium top tube but large seat tube size? whats that all about have you got one to measure at all?

Rusty Mac – I’ve been going from what the picture says on the geometry chart on Banshees website. I’ve had to measure seat tubes/toptubes before and from my experience its from centre to centre of each hole (e.g. headset centre to seat tube centre).

Cheers for the replies

philfive
    Free Member

Yeah I have a medium, what is the issue, does it not fit?

philfive
    Free Member

I’ve just packed the bike away but the seat tube is about 470 as my 420mm reverb doesn’t allow me to use the stealth hole.

philfive
    Free Member

I’ll have a look later but the seat tube length is correct for yours but I’d redo the top tube measure as it is center to centre

philfive
    Free Member

This is what they say for the rune

RustyMac

Effective top tube length is not just the top tube length centre to centre.

Effective top tube is exactly as per the picture (a horizontal measurement from the head tube to where this bisects the seat tube or in this instance it would be a seat post). This could easily be longer that the top tube centre to centre.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Philfive — the issue is I’m 6ft1 and need a large frame as banshee advises. I have measured just as they say on the geometry charts and either way you do it, they’re roughly the same measurements 584 for top tube which suggests medium and 470mm seat tube which suggest large?!

Rusty Mac – theres no denying it when measuring it, its 584mm in length. I’ve measured exactly as in the picture and from centre to centre, and theres no difference either way.

Sui
    Free Member

Phil, you sure you can’t get your reverb in, I’ve the same and it’s admittedly about inch out, but didn’t feel any resistance!

RustyMac

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nZPh6C]Top tube length[/url] by RussellMacnamara, on Flickr

Are you measuring as per the drawing above?

philfive
    Free Member

Sui, mine had the connectormijig and when I put the reverb all the way in it kinked the hose. Routed down the bottom of the downtube and up through the linkage so all us good.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Rusty mac- no that’s not how I’m measuring it as that line suggest your measuring from the front of the seat tube to the centre of the headstock. I’ve literally just got a seatpost- put it in the seat tube got a level and measured to the centre of the headstock. Still says 584. I tried getting photos to show you but none came out very well at all. Cheers for the replies!

RustyMac

Ok, my appologies. It is a common mistake I have seen people make before.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

No need to apologies, I appreciate the help. I feel like I have a freak frame?! I’ve mailed banshee to see what the deal is. I’ll let you know if they tell me what exactly I have!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll try and have a look at mine in the morning and let you know.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

There’s no way you can realistically measure the effective top tube without building it up. How are you making sure that you are measuring horizontally? With a frame where the top tube slopes so much it’ll be very easy to measure too parallel to the top tube and you’ll get a much smaller length.

I’ve had to measure seat tubes/toptubes before and from my experience its from centre to centre of each hole (e.g. headset centre to seat tube centre).

This is only true for a frame with a horizontal top tube (i.e a traditional road bike). The measurement is taken on a built up bike, sitting on a flat surface, from the centre line of the top surface of the head tube, horizontally back to the centreline of the seat tube. The point you are measuring to will be a long way above the actual top of the seat tube.

duir
    Free Member

Keith the designer is the person you want to speak to. He is excellent at getting back to people, lives in Edinburgh and is a thoroughly helpful chap.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Mind map3- Cheers that would be great

robinlaidlaw – i do realise i won’t be able to get an exact measurement but a rough on can be done by eye. The difference top tube length from medium to large is a difference of 26mm/inch which is easy to see that when measuring from the middle of the headstock to the middle of a seat post at medium rune top tube length 584mm the tape is roughly level, although when you measure up to large rune top tube length 610mm there is a no chance its level.

duir – where can i find Keith, through Banshee themselves maybe?

cheers

philfive
    Free Member

Go on to MTBR forums and post in the banshee section, Keith is called builttoride. Have you actually built the bike up though as I’m not convinced you have a short top tube. Keith will be able to give you the measurement for the actual top tub not the effective top tube length.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I only had chance to have a super quick measure because I was late for work. If I measure centre to centre directly mine is 23 inches but from the centrr of my extended post to the centre if the steerer it is near enough 24 dead on.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

metalheadmarsden – Fair enough, but from the numbers mindmap3 is giving and the way that frames like this are mass produced I’d put money on this being a measuring problem rather than you having a one off medium/large hybrid.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Metalheadmarsden – I’ve got Keith’s email address if you want to drop me a line (I think my email is in my profile) and I’ll send it on to you.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Robinlaidlaw- thanks for your replies, After hearing yours and minmap3 advice and measurements I think I was just being hastey! I got sent this beautiful frame in a medium box and started to panic before even opening the box. I started getting really worried when I roughly measured it and found it looked to be a medium toptube. I’ve just waited a loooooooonnnnnnnng time for this frame and didn’t want my first ever brand new bike frame to be wrong!

Mindmap3 – thankyou for taking time to measure yours, it’s putting my mind at ease and hopefully I’ll be able to start building mine tonight!!!!! Wahoo, like I said before I just didn’t want to start the build to find out half way through it was the wrong size.

I think just to be completely safe I’ll get hold of Keith and quadrupole check lol. I’m a worrier!

Philfive- thanks again for all your replies too, I set up a mtbr fav count last night in my flapping panic episode so I’ll get hold of him through there or get it off of mindmap3.

Rustymac- again cheers for your quick replies last night and for making me double/triple check them measurements.

Cheers All much appreciated, if I can build and photo it tonight I’ll post some pictures. It’s gonna be a demonish steed!!!!!

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Robinlaidlaw- thanks for your replies, After hearing yours and minmap3 advice and measurements I think I was just being hastey! I got sent this beautiful frame in a medium box and started to panic before even opening the box. I started getting really worried when I roughly measured it and found it looked to be a medium toptube. I’ve just waited a loooooooonnnnnnnng time for this frame and didn’t want my first ever brand new bike frame to be wrong!

Mindmap3 – thankyou for taking time to measure yours, it’s putting my mind at ease and hopefully I’ll be able to start building mine tonight!!!!! Wahoo, like I said before I just didn’t want to start the build to find out half way through it was the wrong size.

I think just to be completely safe I’ll get hold of Keith and quadrupole check lol. I’m a worrier!

Philfive- thanks again for all your replies too, I set up a mtbr fav count last night in my flapping panic episode so I’ll get hold of him through there or get it off of mindmap3.

Rustymac- again cheers for your quick replies last night and for making me double/triple check them measurements.

Cheers All much appreciated, if I can build and photo it tonight I’ll post some pictures. It’s gonna be a demonish steed!!!!!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

No bother, I’ve been there, it’s really difficult to visualise how a frame will sit in the completed bike until the forks and wheels are in and the Banshee frames have a very sloping top tube.

It’ll be a really nice bike, I’m quite jealous 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

No worries at all buddy. All I can say us that they’re great frames that ride really, really well. The only thing that holds mine back is er, me.

Let us know how you get on with Keith.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Rune Large frame sizing’ is closed to new replies.