Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Banshee Bikes
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone any experience with these Canadian bikes, especially with regard to ride harshness?

Banshee say the seat stays are curved to take out trail harshness (called Shock Block)

I’ve seen their 29r called Paradox which I look the geo of, but I don’t want a beat me up bike

lev
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple and the scirocco was a great hard tail. They are a good company that know what they’re doing, so if it says it’ll take the sting out, then it probably does.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thaey do seem a very down to earth company, and I really like their approach to their 26″ & 29r HT’s. the geo is exactly whatb I’m after.

I suppose it’s the square alu rear triangle look of it and a seeming unforgiving ride, which gives me hesitation

martinh
    Free Member

I’ll let you know once mine arrives.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You going for one Martinh?

I emailed Banshee and they replied saying:-

You are correct and its something we call the “shock block”. It makes a huge difference to soften the feel of the aluminum but you wont give up the lateral rigidity of the frame. Its super stiff and that will allow the power to the pedals.
    I will be honest though my friend Lance Canfield did say it was bloody harsh, but he’s used to his own plush DH bikes and has had a few back surgeries. Others who have ridden the bike had no complaints and to be honest with those big fat wheels I found it less harsh then the Scirocco I used to ride which the Paradox is based off of but it was a 26”

martinh
    Free Member

I was looking for a long travel hard tail and couldn’t contemplate going back to a 26″. The angles looked exactly what I was looking for.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a little harsher than my other bikes at the back, but I’m sure you’re right when you said over on mtbr that a big tyre at the back will help smooth things out.I run my 29ers tubeless and can easily drop to 20-25lbs if need be. I’ve only ever run 2.25s but with the 2.4 Ardent due out soon that could be the perfect tyre for this bike and setup.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Being honest with myself it’s a tad on the beefy side for what I want. This frame would I’m sure put up with a hec of alot more than I could ever throw at it. Had originally planned on a steel XC’ish version with this exact geo.

It’s the numbers behind it which draws me primarilyand the snap of an alu HT I saw a nice plus, and if the curved SS’s work then it’s a real winner.

I can’t seem to find/get any real world idea of how much compliance the Shock Block really gives, except for Banshee’s ‘huge difference’ comment above, and two comments on mtbr on the Scirocco – one saying it was harsh, the other it smoothes out trail buzz…?

It certainly looks as if the design should work.

Is yours coming from Freeborn?

singlespeedstu

Do you really think that things going to be a “smooth” ride?

Come on just look at the size and shape of that rear end.

It doesn’t take much to work out how it’s going to ride.

Smooth it isn’t going to be by any means.

Big tyres, big fork, big wheels, big fun if you’re brave enough. 😈

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve got to say that rear end does look like it was built for an elephant. Overbuilt does spring to mind.

I wasn’t expecting smooth, that’s for sure, I think I was relying on a low pressure 2.4 out back 😆

Perhaps I should go back to Plan A

singlespeedstu

Perhaps I should go back to Plan A

Or MTFU and go for it.

After all The Cole De Clent has some Gnar To The Power Of Sick trails where you’ll need a bike like that. 😯

bonesetter
    Free Member

MTFU – nah, I leave that to the singlespeeders. I run a 30t remember 😉

martinh
    Free Member

I’m certainly not planning on using it to ride epics. Steel or Ti hardtails are fine for that. My plan is more in line with stu’s comment above about big.

You could always follow singlespeedpunk’s trend setting ways and add a Thudbuster. Do they do a Gravity dropper/Thudbuster combo?

Rickos
    Free Member

I loved my Scirocco, wish I stil had it in a way, but they make it with a silly small seat tube diamter and I love my Gravity Dropper too much now. Anyway, I can never tell the difference between back ends really, but it felt no different to my Alpitude (steel) or my Chameleon, both with 2.3 High Rollers.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I actually sold my Scirocco last week as it’s a bit uncomfortable, I’m probably going to replace it with another Banshee as everything about the frame was spot on apart from the industrial grade rear stays.

In fact Rickos I think my old Scirocco is your old Scirocco….that was my first of many STW purchases.

Rickos
    Free Member

Ahhh, good frame. Hope it’s gone to a good home.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

He seemed like a good bloke when I spoke to him.

bonesetter
    Free Member

schrickvr6 why buy another if you didn’t like the comfort? Just askin

Rickos
    Free Member

Cos he’ll prolly get the Banshee Viento I’m guessing. Viento is less burly but very similar geometry.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I've gone for an 07 Pyre (5.5" travel). I was after a Blur 4x but got a deal on the Pyre I'd be daft to turn down, brand new Pyre 07 frame and 09 RP23 for £500 inc delivery.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Here's my new one, I love it…

bonesetter
    Free Member

That looks like a lot of fun. Damn strong too. Congrats

My Paradox is arriving soon 😀

69 HTA
    16.9" chain stay

Kuco

Very interested in this Viento myself and £399 for frame seems a bargain. Was also looking at a DB Alpine/Cotic bfe/Genesis Alpitude.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Check out this Paradox just built up. Cool looking black & white

It's Crazy Fred's over on mtbr

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Bikes’ is closed to new replies.