Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)
  • Banning Cycling on A24 Dorking to Leatherhead?
  • dknwhy

Isn’t that stretch of road a TT course as well? Pretty sure it’s the Holmwood circuit. Can’t help the argument when people are perceived to be racing on the public highway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Other side of Dorking… https://www.strava.com/segments/629691

Racing would usually be on a weekend or late evening though.

hammyuk
    Free Member

They should add the A3 to that petition!
    Bloody sportive every week with Boardman wannabes anywhere right out to the centre line.
    With best will in the world sometimes you can end up with nowhere to go when one of them changes position and you’re unable to get into the outside lane .
    How someone hasn’t been hit – particularly as they use the Liss roundabout is more luck than anything else.

Want to do a road race?
    Fine – close the road – not use a 70mph dual carriageway FFS!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Want to do a road race?

They will usually be experienced riders, riding alone, going off a 1 min intervals, outside peak traffic times (and subject to risk assessment, signage, and traffic police approval.) Really not to be confused with a sportive!

Gary_M
    Free Member

If cyclists aren’t using a provided cycle lane, preferring to mix it up with traffic, then I’d assume there was some issue with the cycle lane

You would think so, and I’m all for cyclists being able to use the road if that’s what they want to do but in some cases I can’t understand why an individual would choose a road over a cycle path.

12 miles of my commute is on a designated cycle path that runs along the A77 Kilmarnock to Glasgow. This road was a dual carriageway, a motorway was built so the old road was taken down to 2 lanes and a cycle path made with a wide raised section separating it from traffic.

In the 12 miles I ride it’s intersected by 2 minor road, one of which never has any vehicles using it, the other is also pretty quite. There’s one roundabout where you need to either cross the road, go on the path at the other side of the road, then cross back onto the path, or exit onto the road and just ride through the roundabout. Not a big deal and doesn’t slow you down.

The path is rural so isn’t the usual glass covered urban path.

It really is a fantastic facility.

But people still frequently use the road and I just don’t get why. In summer its not a big deal as the road isn’t that busy, although there are quarry trucks on it, but a few people regularly use the road in dark winter nights and mornings, really can’t think why as it’s not pleasant. I’ve ridden it when the paths been icy and there are a couple of horrible sections where drivers pass with inches to spare.

It’s odd behavior if you ask me.

lcj

A few people saying here that the A24 cyclepath is potholed and a poor surface. I’ve only ever ridden the south side of it which is brilliantly smooth. Presumably very different on the north side then?

scotroutes

A9.

There are decent alternatives almost the whole way from Perth to Inverness (barring the gravel-strewn track at Drumochter) but folk just seem to want to take the “main” road regardless. Of course, a lot of these are LEJOGers looking for the shortest/fastest route.

dknwhy

As somebody said above, it’s fine if you’re on 30+ tyres and a robust bike, I wouldn’t want to take a skinny road machine down it*

* well, anywhere but that’s not the point.

I agree – is part of it that people are riding bikes that aren’t really fit for purpose for what they need and blaming poor infrastructure when part of the issue is having the wrong tool for the job?
    I have a “skinny road machine” with 25mm tyres and there are only a handful of roads in the south east that it is actually really comfortable to ride on.
    Are road bikes the equivalent of trying to drive an F1 car on the road?

scotroutes

Err….

mogrim

They shouldn’t be, and any road that’s unpleasant to ride a road bike on is likely to be unpleasant in any other vehicle – in a car you might not be risking a puncture, but it’ll probably be noisy, which isn’t good for either you as a driver or anyone who lives near the road.

jimdubleyou

A few people saying here that the A24 cyclepath is potholed and a poor surface.

It’s hard to see, but this is the bit I’m on about – surface has worn away
    https://goo.gl/maps/yQ2yG1EQohB2

and a bit further on – lumps every few metres.
    https://goo.gl/maps/pCcphqwds7J2

From memory, there are worse bits and better bits. I can see why people don’t use it.

The other side does look nicer (& it’s sunny 🙂 )
    https://goo.gl/maps/nwQU6zzHuU42

anagallis_arvensis

**** me this site is infested by some dumb ****.

mrblobby
    Free Member

As has been said, road bikes are designed to be fast and efficient on the road, much like cars. If you want road bikes to use cycle paths they need to be built and maintained to the same standards as the roads then it would be fine. It’s a bit like saying we should cut back investment in the road infrastructure, let it all go to ruin, not bother fixing pot holes and cracks, and that we should all just buy 4×4’s to compensate for that 🙂

That looks sh*t.

dknwhy

scotroutes – Member
    dknwhy » Are road bikes the equivalent of trying to drive an F1 car on the road?
    Err….

Ok, poor choice of words but “road” bike marketing is actually selling race orientated bikes – 23mm tyres, rigid frames, low spoke count etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok, poor choice of words but “road” bike marketing is actually selling race orientated bikes – 23mm tyres, rigid frames, low spoke count etc.

They may be race bikes but they’re still designed to be raced on roads (though they do race much the same bikes over the cobbles at Paris Roubaix, which many cycle paths resemble.)

lcj

jimdubleyou – Member

A few people saying here that the A24 cyclepath is potholed and a poor surface.

https://goo.gl/maps/yQ2yG1EQohB2

https://goo.gl/maps/pCcphqwds7J2

From memory, there are worse bits and better bits. I can see why people don’t use it.

The other side does look nicer (& it’s sunny )
    https://goo.gl/maps/nwQU6zzHuU42

Does indeed look a very different prospect. I’ll stick on the south (until it floods again!)

nuke

Im against the ban. Live very locally to it and have no issue with cyclists on the A24…can’t say id notice enough cyclists on that road to consider it an ‘issue’ and handily, it being a dual carriageway, there’s another lane for cars to move into to overtake!! 8)

To me the junction from Westhumble Street on to the A24 is the dangerous location as cyclists cross the north bound carriage to get in the correct lane for the roundabout…seen some awful manoeuvres by car drivers & cyclists at that junction

dknwhy

They may be race bikes but they’re still designed to be raced on roads (though they do race much the same bikes over the cobbles at Paris Roubaix, which many cycle paths resemble.)

They may be but if my commute involved the cobbles of Paris Roubaix, I wouldn’t be doing it daily on a 23mm tyred road bike. Even the pros make adjustments within the UCI guidelines to make things more comfortable – wider tyres, double wrapped bars etc.

I guess i’m playing devil’s advocate a little – i’m not suggesting that people shouldn’t be riding those types of bikes – it’s personal choice after all but i’d be pulled apart here if I decided to take my road bike to a trail centre and moan that the trail centre wasn’t fit to be ridden on a road bike.

Generally, cycle paths in the UK are poor, as are many roads. They should be fit for purpose and obstruction free but they’re not. I do wonder though how many of those people complaining about pot holes etc have actually taken the time to report them and follow through getting them fixed?

squirrelking
    Free Member

@Gary M yup, I said that to someone years ago about the A77 and got all the usual excuses – it’s probably this or probably that when in fact it’s what all paths should be like.

They did similar round here, fixed a section of completely awful path and made it fantatstic. Still the stubborn MAMILS refuse to use it even though the road is as rough as a badgers.

Couldn’t make it up.

Rockape63
    Free Member

To me the junction from Westhumble Street on to the A24 is the dangerous location as cyclists cross the north bound carriage to get in the correct lane for the roundabout…seen some awful manoeuvres by car drivers & cyclists at that junction

Its called ‘chicken run’ on Strava! I always use the underpass on my mtb which now allows you to cycle it, so no excuses there either.

IMO, its purely selfish roadies riding on the road causing potential accidents, rather than ride on the perfectly smooth south side path. The reason the paths are there is because its not safe to cycle on the road.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The reason the paths are there is because its not safe to cycle on the road.

Obvious troll 🙂

Reason these paths are there is because of regulations requiring the provision of cycling infrastructure.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a bit like saying we should cut back investment in the road infrastructure, let it all go to ruin, not bother fixing pot holes and cracks, and that we should all just buy 4×4’s to compensate for that

Or “Welcome to Gloucestershire” as the phrase it on road signs. 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Why is it so annoying cyclists are on the road? Surely it’s not that difficult to overtake?

That section of road is less than 4 miles long, with roundabouts, towns and associated traffic at both ends. It’s like they are cycling up the M1.

They should just make it single carriageway. Motorists can’t have nice things. Too selfish and impatient.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this (I’m a Libra, what did you expect).

I live in Epsom and know that stretch of road well having driven it a thousand times and ridden it about half that number of times on both MTB and skinny tyred road bike.

I don’t like the thought of cyclists being banned from certain roads (other than motorways) because it sets a dangerous precedent.

But I have never ridden that section on the road, I always use the cycle lane (both North & South) out of a sense of self-preservation just because it’s so bloomin’ dangerous. I do tend to sigh when I see roadies (for it’s rarely MTB’ers), riding along that section of road although I fully accept that they have every right to do so.

The riders who chance crossing the fast moving traffic as they dart out from Westhumble Street frankly just scare me. It’s much easier to use the underpass

Oh and I’m not in any way a nervous rider, I cycle-commute 36 miles a day into central London and back including such perambulatory delights as Tooting High Street (the closest thing to a shoot em up video game in real life you will ever experience), Clapham Common, Elephant & Castle, Tower Bridge and/or the Embankment so I’m comfortable in traffic.

dknwhy

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    Why is it so annoying cyclists are on the road? Surely it’s not that difficult to overtake?

But why shouldn’t car drivers get upset when adequate separate provision has been made for cyclists? You don’t see pedestrians ignoring a footpath and running down the A24.
    There are some cyclists who think that because they can legally ride somewhere, they should.
    We’d get upset if ramblers start walking about on trail centre trails.
    It’s inflexible and selfish. There has to be give from all sides.

anagallis_arvensis

Car drivers have plentybof other roads they could choose to use if the bikes are in the way.

MoreCashThanDash

Are there any accident statistics to support the proposition that cycling that stretch is actually dangerous?

I suspect the real issue is that driving and – yes – cycling standards are poor and needy better policing.

In any event, I am firmly in the “thin end of the wedge” camp. Banning bikes on one stretch of road sets a very dodgy precedent.

oldtalent
    Free Member

They should add the A3 to that petition!
    Bloody sportive every week with Boardman wannabes anywhere right out to the centre line.
    With best will in the world sometimes you can end up with nowhere to go when one of them changes position and you’re unable to get into the outside lane .
    How someone hasn’t been hit – particularly as they use the Liss roundabout is more luck than anything else.

Want to do a road race?
    Fine – close the road – not use a 70mph dual carriageway FFS!They should add the A3 to that petition!

Want to do a road race?
    Fine – close the road – not use a 70mph dual carriageway FFS!

I’m in 100% agreement with this. Just because you are legally allowed to do it, common sense says its really not a good idea to be clogging the road up in rush out evening traffic.
    Just reinforced that all cyclist are b@llends really.
    Someone will get killed.

anagallis_arvensis

Just reinforced that I am a all cyclist are b@llends really

MoreCashThanDash

Someone will get killed.

You mean everyone is frothing at the mouth over this and no one has actually died yet?

hammyuk
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Want to do a road race?
    They will usually be experienced riders, riding alone, going off a 1 min intervals, outside peak traffic times (and subject to risk assessment, signage, and traffic police approval.) Really not to be confused with a sportive!

They might be in all the gear blobby but trust me they aren’t riding alone a lot of the time.
    It is definitely not “outside of peak times” either.
    Mid whatever it is at 7pm on that stretch is idiocy.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a while since I’ve ridden a road bike in the SE, but I’ve been down that way plenty of times in the last few years, and can’t say I’ve noticed the roads having got significantly worse than when I was riding a 23mm tyred (or even 20 when I was young and stupid) racer in various different places, and nor are they any worse than round here where I’m perfectly comfortable on skinny tyres. Not like a gnarr machine with fat tyres and 6″ of suspension maybe, but fine if you’re used to it. Cycle paths are a different matter – went riding around MK recently which is supposed to have some of the best infrastructure in the UK and some of that was pretty awful and I definitely wouldn’t want to be on a racer (not great on what I was on, a geared unicycle).

Is the suggestion here that a racer isn’t fit for purpose because you should be riding on the bike paths which aren’t suitable for a racer rather than on the roads which are? 😯

No, it’s in no way equivalent to driving an F1 car on the road.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I always use the underpass on my mtb which now allows you to cycle it, so no excuses there either.

Hmm. Haven’t they just tightened up the barriers (or put fencing up to stop you riding around the outside of them) which make it *more* difficult to ride through (and impossible on a tandem/trike/bike with trailer/tag along)

I mostly end up there on a mountain bike but, out of a sense of self preservation, use the path.

Some of it is wide and smooth.

Some of it is rough and narrow with metal railings.
    https://goo.gl/maps/HsAkR6PL6ts

All of it loses priority at junctions which have wide sweeps so motor vehicles can turn into them at speed.
    https://goo.gl/maps/SLYmasbAQ1C2
    https://goo.gl/maps/UAFFkpTa2CB2
    https://goo.gl/maps/aFWn2jqjAGp

Traffic closing at 70mph over your shoulder that may decide to indicate and turn late – nice. Blind to the side road which could have traffic closing on it (mostly far faster than is safe or necessary)

that section has been 70mph for 50 years and few people stick to the new 50mph limit.

Which would seem to be the main problem. You give these motorists big wide roads and they can’t even obey the few restrictions that are placed on them.

As cycle paths at the side of A Roads go, it’s one of the better ones. Is is actually good? No.
    Is the surface smooth (as smooth as the road?) – no. Does it drain properly? no. Is it regularly swept? No. Does it have priority over side roads (ie the same priority as traffic travelling straight on in the main carriageway – no it gives way to traffic turning on and off the A24 at every junction.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m confused here – not only because some people are saying the “South” side is better, when there appears to be an East and West side and I can’t work out which the South side is, but also because right opposite that is https://goo.gl/maps/Y4S2TnVcCvB2 which looks equally, if not more shit.

Do other people have ridiculously low expectations of cycle paths that “facilities” like this are considered to be good? Lack of priority at junctions is to be expected on almost all UK cycle paths and a reason on its own why I’d choose to ride the road. What’s more, for all those saying the road is dangerous, looking at real objective danger and looking at those junctions I’d suggest that perception is probably misplaced – using the cycle path looks more dangerous.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Hmm. Haven’t they just tightened up the barriers (or put fencing up to stop you riding around the outside of them) which make it *more* difficult to ride through (and impossible on a tandem/trike/bike with trailer/tag along)

Go and have a look now…its a designated cycle route.

I’m confused here – not only because some people are saying the “South” side is better, when there appears to be an East and West side and I can’t work out which the South side is, but also because right opposite that is https://goo.gl/maps/Y4S2TnVcCvB2 which looks equally, if not more shit.

Its on the left of the Leatherhead bound carriageway and is in perfect condition currently.

Thing is, despite all the reasons people are coming up with to ride on the road, all they are doing is making motorists angry, which will at some point in time, have disastrous consequences for someone.

Which would seem to be the main problem. You give these motorists big wide roads and they can’t even obey the few restrictions that are placed on them.

True, but then these motorists have driven safely on these roads at 70-80mph for decades and now the Nanny state has decreed its a 50mph for the simple fact that the A24 further towards Horsham has a poor record of deaths and they decided to tar this stretch of road with the same brush.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thing is, despite all the reasons people are coming up with to ride on the road, all they are doing is making motorists angry, which will at some point in time, have disastrous consequences for someone.

Sad to think that just by riding on the road you can get a motorist sufficiently angry to put your life at risk 😕

Do we really need to segregate cyclists to protect them from the uncontrollable rage of some motorists? WTF is wrong with some people 🙁

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Should start a petition to ban motorists from the A24.

Or lifetime bans from people not mentally stable enough to use the road network without getting in a rage at other road users/traffic.

anagallis_arvensis

Do we really need to segregate cyclists to protect them from the uncontrollable rage of some motorists? WTF is wrong with some people

When it is as appears to be the case that the majority of people on a cycling forum think that roads should be kept clear for the cars at the expense of bikes you can see how bad things are and how ingrained the me, me me me me culture is.

njee20
    Free Member

Its on the left of the Leatherhead bound carriageway and is in perfect condition currently.

No it’s not. South of Westhumble road it’s gravelly and broken up. Then you’ve got the crossing of Westhumble road, where cyclists notionally have ROW, but cars can turn in at speed, and usually (I’ve had exceptions) aren’t expecting to give way. Then there’s the barriered section alongside the roundabout, which is narrow, on a blind bend, with a broken surface. It is in then a better surface most of the way, although in autumn it gets covered with leaves, which remain most of winter because of the lack of traffic to clear them. When it rains significant parts of it flood, or it freezes and you have a skating rink to contend with.

There are half a dozen residential roads and little turn offs where cyclists have to give way to drivers who see you as target practice, and because they’re blind you either chance it, or have to stop at each one to check it’s clear.

Then you get the fun of trying to rejoin the road at the roundabout at the Leatherhead end without any real exit, or follow the signed route right across the neck of the junction of the road up to Bookham.

The surface isn’t bad on the middle bit though, you’re right. Shame about everything else.

You’d think this was the comments section on a DM article!

It’s a great bit of infrastructure for a family bimble, or a mountain bike ride. It’s acceptable for a road bike (I use it regularly on a 23mm-tyre-shod road bike with carbon wheels), but it’s far from perfect, and in winter I’ll use the road due to the decreased likelihood of ice. I’m not aware of a single fatality on that bit of road. It’s not dangerous IMO. Traffic does stick to 50mph, not least because there’s a speed camera.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I haven’t read the whole thread but despite not being good the cycle lanes on both sides are usable – my cycle club uses the north bound one every Saturday on the way to Box Hill.

I have seen ambulances dealing with both cyclists and bikers involved in accidents on that stretch.

After my last experience a while back I wouldn’t consider using the road on my own (maybe in a peloton though) the moving over to the right in preparation to do a right turn at the roundabout is just too dangerous.

The cycling lane although not good really isn’t that bad. The alternative is worse imo. Although admittedly I usually only use it for the short distance between the roundabout near zig zag road and the previous roundabout.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Banning Cycling on A24 Dorking to Leatherhead?’ is closed to new replies.