Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Banks & Rapport
  • thepurist

So it seems that every on line banking site I use is now nagging me to download Rapport to ‘keep me safe’. Now I’m fairly savvy with on-line safety – I’m the only one who uses this PC, I run AV & malware scanners etc. and don’t blindly click on email links or download strange attachments. So what is this Rapport thing going to do for me other than stop the banks nagging and probably clog up my system/mess up the other protection I’ve got?

PePPeR

I downloaded it due to the incessant nagging, it then wouldn’t let me log into my bank account!

I now put up with the nagging!

jota180
    Free Member

I think the one I get nagged about is Trusteer, I ignore it.

I do however wonder how long it’ll be before they insist or forego some of their fraud guarantees

msjhes2
    Free Member

Trusteer and Rapport are the same thing. I work in fraud technology and it is good and worth having. Far more effective than standard AV.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My BIL is head of Consumer IT at large UK bank, not one of the dodgy ones, says it is worth it.

bedmaker

Rapport screwed up my PC and Mac last year. I had to pay a man £250 to sort it out. I’ll be steering clear as long as I can.

hammyuk
    Free Member

What annoys me is LLoyds lack of effective set up – every other bank I deal with (5 inc business accounts) can manage to log me in securely and allow me to pay/transfer/etc… Lloyds seem to need me to put a card in a machine, enter a pin, enter a reference, amount, etc for EVERYTHING….. Even their app is nothing more than a link to the mobile site with a crap interface…
    As for Rapport/Trusteer – only HSBC have asked for it and not hassled me since after I said no..

Cougar

I looked into this a while back, when HSBC started whining about it. Ostensibly, I wanted to know what it actually did.

When I looked at it, Trusteer’s website was a typical marketing-focused site. It tells you all about how Rapport ‘secures transactions’ and prevents malware, but didn’t have one jot of information about how it actually does that. For that reason, I decided that it wasn’t for me; I don’t want some unknown software doing secret, mysterious things that might well conflict with other systems I use.

Looking at it now though, it seems they’ve improved it somewhat.

http://www.trusteer.com/Products/Trusteer-Rapport-for-Online-Banking

From this, it looks like it sandboxes the browser and checks for keyloggers and such. I’m not immediately seeing much benefit over other conventional tools though. Where it sounds like it might win is prevention against user naivety; for people who don’t know any better than to click links in scam spam emails, it might well be a really good idea. So whilst I’m not as wholly suspicious as I was about it, I don’t think I’m they’re target audience.

Cougar

I work in fraud technology and it is good and worth having. Far more effective than standard AV.

Could you expand on that, tell us a bit more about it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Banks & Rapport’ is closed to new replies.