Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bank Transfers, as a seller
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve sold a guitar pedal on Gumtree and the buyer wants to pay via bank transfer, which means me handing over my sort code and account number: Is this safe these days?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Less safe than cash. TBH I would not give out that info to someone I didn’t know reasonably well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The risk is more with them as there is no claim back though don’t give out address

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you register your account to your mobile.

All they have to do is use your mobile number as a payee.

Or open an additional account online for payments. Job done.

I would say don’t worry but if it was my main account, I wouldn’t -OCD.

A new account that can only accept money in and only you online can transfer money out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Potentially they can use the details to set up a direct debit. Some of the less secure sites don’t check details like your address and they could have a DD set up in your name to purchase things for themselves. You are not liable as you didn’t sign/see the DD agreement, but still it’s potentially a faff.

Depends on how much you trust the other person really.

If you’re worried though (and I’d be more concerned where Gumtree is involved), you or they can use a bank mobile payment app, like Pingit, Paym. Alternatively PayPal on mobile or web site.

Either the buyer registers for one of these and sends money to your mobile number or email, or you can request the money and they get a link to make a payment.

(note Pingit is Barclays, but is compatible with Paym that all the other banks use).

scotroutes

Ever written a cheque? Your sort code and account number are on that. People have been swapping these details for ever.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Pay pal?

mikey74
    Free Member

I asked about PayPal but he doesn’t use it.

He just has my town and no other address details.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m happy to buy or sell using bank transfer, be intresting to hear the risks?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder if the risks, due to the electronic mediums, have altered the likelihood of fraud now compared to say a cheque written in 1786

That said I still do it.

poah
    Free Member

I only use BT for sales – never had an issue with it

dannybgoode

Not much they can do with just ac number and sort code. Wasn’t it Jeremy Clarkson who published his in the Daily Mail to prove nothing could happen?

Then someone set up a direct debit in his name to some charity but nothing else happened…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

We’re all covered by the direct debit guarantee anyway.

Safer than cash in my opinion. Cash can be fake, transfers can’t

xico
    Free Member

What scotsroutes said, I’ve used bank transfer for years without any problems.

richardkennerley

I think if you have PayPal you can set up a “PayPal me” link that you can email or even text to the person. They click on it and it sends them to a personalised web page where they can pay by whatever means they fancy. Don’t think it requires both parties to be registered with paypal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bank Transfers, as a seller’ is closed to new replies.