Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bank Transfers
  • Merak

Howdo,

Im selling a set of wheels on another forum. A chap who wants them has no history, only the one post. I realise everyone has to start somewhere but the cynic in me has reared its head.

Am I safe if I request a bank transfer? Just want some reassurance really.

Ta.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes. Whether he’s safe is another question…

I assume you’re trust worthy?

grum
    Free Member

Safe how? You won’t get your money back if he disappears, if that’s what you mean.

Merak

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was hoping to secure payment before I send the goods. My concern is whether any payment made to me might be reversed thereafter.

trailmonkey

isn’t paypal safe enough ?

Lifer
    Free Member

Bank transfer is cleared funds as soon as it’s in your account.

Merak

Okay, thanks very much. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Sorry I didn’t read your posts properly and missed that you were the seller. 😳

mattwhalley
    Free Member

If you ask him to use the new version of BACS called Same day payment he can move the money to your account and it can’t be recalled like BACS could be. Only problem is you have to give a stranger your bank account details.

Once it’s in your account it’s yours

Merak

Its the stranger having my bank details that stresses me a bit. I suppose its only a set of numbers.

As I say I am sorry to be cynical but with no postings at all I am dubious.

druidh
    Free Member

He only has you account number and sort code. That’s on every cheque you’ve ever written and on your bank card. There’s nothing can be done with that.

allthegear
    Free Member

That’s what Jeremy Clarkson thought when he posted them up in a newspaper once, just to make a point. Then someone kindly signed him up to pay a few charities by Direct Debit…

🙂

Rachel

Cougar

I hope it was Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth or someone.

Northwind

Yup, but that’s how the system works- it doesn’t try to be perfectly secure but it does perfectly protect you. I don’t think clarkson claimed the money back in the end but if you have a DD taken from you without authorisation you get the money back, instantly and without argument.

jonba
    Free Member

I prefer it to paypal. Wasn’t there a scam a while back where people were just claiming items hadn’t been delivered and paypal was automatically taking the side of the buyer and forcing a refund through?

Burls72
    Free Member

I prefer it to paypal. Wasn’t there a scam a while back where people were just claiming items hadn’t been delivered and paypal was automatically taking the side of the buyer and forcing a refund through?

Happens all the time on ebay even if you send it by recorded delivery. Ebay always side with the buyer if they file a dispute, I’ve had it happen ro me a couple of times. I won’t sell anything of value on there again.

Northwind

Burls72 – Member

Ebay always side with the buyer if they file a dispute,

Nah. I’ve had 3 disputes as seller, won them all (worth about a grand all in). You need to be absolutely in the right, you need to be able to prove it, and you need to be willing to jump through the million hoops they demand, but this whole “buyer always wins” is just a myth

(I actually found it harder on some occasions to bring a succesful claim as buyer)

Burls72
    Free Member

Nah. I’ve had 3 disputes as seller, won them all (worth about a grand all in). You need to be absolutely in the right, you need to be able to prove it, and you need to be willing to jump through the million hoops they demand, but this whole “buyer always wins” is just a myth

(I actually found it harder on some occasions to bring a succesful claim as buyer)

Thats good to know as my experience has been the complete opposite. Items sent by courier with proof of a signature at the end and they still refunded.

mattwhalley
    Free Member

Druidh

Your absolutley spot on, I guess it’s just the dishing out of these details unless it’s absolutley necessary. If the person had a few other details about you with the sort and acc no then you could do some damage in the bank IMO

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bank Transfers’ is closed to new replies.