Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • bank question
  • daleman
    Free Member

Can i pay a cheque with another persons name in to my account. my daughter has received one but dose not have a account . thanks

jam-bo

Not with Barclays. Had to open an savings account for my 5yr old

jambalaya
    Free Member

No

EDIT: send the cheque back and ask for another in your name or open her an account

nickjb
    Free Member

How different is the the name and how readable is it?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Could try anyway. Not like it’s gonnna bounce. Distract the cashier with small-talk and eye contact.

timbur
    Free Member

Cross the name out, stick your name on it and then initial it with the PAYEs initials. Always worked for me in the past.

joebristol

The strict answer is no. The account name has to match the payee on the cheque.

The crossing out and initiating could work – although it should be the person signing the cheque that initials the amendment I think – not the payee. Even if you took the payee initiating then morally it’s a 5 year old so they wouldn’t really know what they’re doing.

In practice though if there’s only a slight difference in name you’d probably get away with it if it’s a low value cheque. If you paid it in through a cheque paying in machine rather than over a counter I honk you’d have a better chance of having it accepted.

jam-bo

The other suggestion the bank made was to get the person who wrote the cheque to reissue one in your name.

Flaperon

Probably needs a new cheque. Is it crossed “account payee”?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘bank question’ is closed to new replies.