Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bank people- Unpaid direct debit fee
  • Duane…
    Free Member

OK, before anyone has a go, I know this is (kinda) my fault, I should have paid more attention etc etc, but anyway.

OK, I had my Paypal account connected to my Nationwide FlexAccount. I always had money in my PP account (from selling stuff etc), so Paypal never took money from the Nationwide account.
    Bought a load of stuff last month, which used up the amount in the Paypal account, and therefore tried to take money out of the Nationwide account (direct debit set up).

Unfortunately, there was no money in said account (well, not enough to pay for all the purchases). I did not realise this at the time, first I knew of it was when I got emails from Paypal saying the payments had been refused. I then changed the account Paypal direct debited from to another (Natwest) account, and the money in that paid for the purchases etc etc, all dandy.

Then get my Nationwide bank statement the other day, with a £210 Unpaid direct debit fee. Rang them up about this, turns out theres a £30 fee for every unpaid DD, and there were 7 of them.

Now, I know this is technically my fault, but is there ANY way I can get out of this? Had a quick google, and there seems to be some some consumer rights stuff, but couldnt really understand it all (plus half the links etc didnt work).

Any help/input would be much appreciated!

Ta, Duane.

likeabiker
    Free Member

You’ll need to fall on your sword with the bank – threaten to move your account(s) elsewhere if need be – if that doesn’t work go to the ombudsman – being charged that much for the DD’s from one source is a bit strong…Unfortunately, while the word of your contract is what they’ve charged you, that’s not really the spirit of it! I’ve assumed that was 7 DDs from the same source?

Edric64
    Free Member

i can beat that I got stung for 600 quid last year by Abbey because a client paid me late

bigbob38
    Free Member

I might be wrong but… can’t they only charge you 3 times in one day??? (assuming all on the same day)

I have found going up to the counter and discussing it loudly for as long as possible makes me feel better and once had some charges revoked by the Halifax to get me out the branch (I think..) 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

That’s a nonsense. Previous dealings with Natwest lead me to think that if you give them a call (keep going up the chain of command if needs be) they will reduce the charges, if not remove them altogether – give them a chance before pulling out the threats.

This is even more likely to work if you are not a serial offender.

djglover
    Free Member

I know this is (kinda) my fault

How old are you, 12?

incognito
    Free Member

I’ve had charges waived by the bank, ring them or make an appointment with someone with clout and explain what went wrong.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have never not got my charges refunded.

Northwind

I’ve never taken the time to really check Paypal’s tcs and cs but I doubt the way they use the DD service is compliant with the direct debit guide and rules, specifically for advance notice. I’m off work just now but I can check it out if you like when I get back- if you can get me their direct debit originator’s number (OIN)- it’ll be a 6 digit number- that’d help.

If I’m right, you’d have a decent claim against Paypal for the refund, though I’m sure it’ll be like getting blood from a stone. Ironically, if your bank had paid the DDs you could possibly make an indemnity claim, and claim the consequential loss but if I understand it right that doesn’t work when the DD was bounced.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

Partly what annoys me is that, well, fair enough if I’d gone overdrawn paying for the purchases, as I’d have then been using money which wasnt mine (ie the banks), but they didnt even pay for them, they just bounced the DDs. So Im just paying a fine for a bounce :/

likeabiker- closing the bank account would be no biggy as I dont use this account any more. The 7 DDs were from the same source (Paypal), but to buy different items, from different sellers (ebay).

Ill look into some of the other stuff mentioned so far, cheers all.

Northwind, thanks. When you say “their direct debit originator’s number”, whos do you mean? Paypals or Nationwides?

Ta, Duane.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought paypal used some kind of direct account transfer, rather than direct debit, no?

Duane…
    Free Member

So did I, until yesterday..

Northwind

Paypal’s OIN- it might show on your statement or internet banking but failing that your bank will be able to tell you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bank people- Unpaid direct debit fee’ is closed to new replies.