Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bank of Ireland £10 note – is it mine for ever?
  • muzzle
    Free Member

I just got a Bank of Ireland (UK) £10 note in my change from the Sainsburys self-checkout. Am I ever going to be able to spend it in England, or are we destined to grow old together?

northshoreniall

I’ve found the self service machines usually take them when I get back from home. Some cashiers refuse them so I make sure use them on those machines.

GrahamS

Clearly self-checkouts can accept them, so the answer seems simple.

muzzle
    Free Member

Clearly self-checkouts can accept them

Don’t the notes for change come from a pre-loaded stack of notes rather than from the money that customers put in though?

zilog6128

Don’t the notes for change come from a pre-loaded stack of notes rather than from the money that customers put in though?

This. I got a Scottish tenner from a Sainsbury’s machine. Would it accept it as payment next time? Would it ****.

wrecker
    Free Member

If a shop/whatever can legally refuse to accept them, can a customer do the same?

muzzle
    Free Member

If a shop/whatever can legally refuse to accept them, can a customer do the same?

I’m sure they can. In my case, it would have involved arguing with a machine though 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

A bank would take it if all else fails. There should be no problem in spending in England but people are confused.

aracer
    Free Member

I brought several hundred back from NI after one trip (I paid for stuff on my card, got paid cash by mates). A bit more difficult to shift than Scottish ones, but only a couple of places refused them.

isto
    Free Member

Point out that it says sterling on it and you shouldn’t have a problem. I used to bring them back with me from home (in NI) to uni in England and once I pointed this out it was usually accepted as legal tender.

aracer
    Free Member

Though of course it isn’t actually legal tender

gonefishin
    Free Member

I often wonder how someone would react to that statement if they presented any bank note in Scotland.

stevie750

I had one that got rejected by the morrisons self service machine. When I told a member of staff they said “we don’t accept euros”
    I couldn’t be bothered to explain that it was a northern irish note

bencooper
    Free Member

I often wonder how someone would react to that statement if they presented any bank note in Scotland.

No bank notes are legal tender in Scotland. Not even Bank of England ones.

isto
    Free Member

I stand corrected. Aracer is right…..although admittedly pedantic. It is not legal tender. Apparently that generally “means FA difference” (paraphrasing) according to the BOE website:

Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt.

In ordinary everyday transactions, the term “legal tender” in its purest sense need not govern a banknote’s acceptability in transactions.

gonefishin
    Free Member

No bank notes are legal tender in Scotland. Not even Bank of England ones.

Yeah that’s what I meant. You often hear people saying of non BoE notes “that’s not legal tender” (a fairly meaningless term in everyday activities) but I wondered how those same people would, were they in Scotland, react to being told that the BoE notes aren’t legal tender.

ourmaninthenorth

although admittedly pedantic.

That’s the thing about the law. It pays to be pedantic.

So, as we’ve all agreed, muzzle is now stuck with this tenner until some kind soul agrees (out of the goodness of their heart) to exchange it for something else.

gonefishin
    Free Member

So, as we’ve all agreed, muzzle is now stuck with this tenner until some kind soul agrees (out of the goodness of their heart) to exchange it for something else.

So pretty much like every other tenner then.

Rich_s

Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt.

In ordinary everyday transactions, the term “legal tender” in its purest sense need not govern a banknote’s acceptability in transactions.
    This was on Simon Mayo last night – I found it fascinating!

muzzle
    Free Member

Anybody want to buy it from me?

ourmaninthenorth

[classifieds mode]

£5 posted? TBH I’m doing you a favour.

[/classifieds mode]

Cougar

Paypal gift?

taxi25
    Free Member

It might not be legal tender, but it is legal “currency” and if your ever in Cardiff, and get in my cab you can certainly pay me with it. I see loads whenever Ireland are over for the rugby.

muzzle
    Free Member

Panic over, I spent it in the pub last night. It was the Devonshire Arms in Dore, if anybody’s got any they need to offload.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll make sure to check what change they give me if I ever go there 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bank of Ireland £10 note – is it mine for ever?’ is closed to new replies.