Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Bank Bailout. What happened?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t really fully understand the intricacies of global finance, but as far as I can tell we (the taxpayer) gave a lot of our money to the the banks who had not been very good at their jobs.
    The govt approach seems to have been to lend the money in return for shares, and sell the shares at a later date BUT did not commit to delivering a profit to tax payers.
    A few bits I don’t get;
    Are we going to get interest on the “loan”?
    Why would we not hold onto the shares for future profit? They usually make a few quid do they not?
    Why aren’t we just keeping the shares and taking whacking great dividends?
    Should there not be more public consultation on this? It seems to have gone very quiet which makes me very suspicious that it’s all being dealt with quietly.
    This isn’t intended as a thread for slagging whichever political party you happen to dislike, just a question of why things are done and how do we (considering the deficit) ensure that we maximise our “investment”?
    I’ll be very angry if those who effed everything up get a nice easy ride.

mudshark
    Free Member

Why would we not hold onto the shares for future profit?

When might that be? Would you buy shares in this bank? Gov’t is borrowing money so to keep the shares has to think the return is greater then the borrowing cost.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those who made the mistakes were rich, and still are, so they will get an easy ride whatever. Sorry – but please direct your anger somewhere useful.

Should there not be more public consultation on this?

Problem is, the public know **** all and can be easily manipulated by party spin.

wrecker
    Free Member

When might that be? Would you buy shares in this bank? Gov’t is borrowing money so to keep the shares has to think the return is greater then the borrowing cost.

I thought that the share value is roughly what we paid and that is why they’re looking at selling. It’s likely that they will start making more money now is it not?

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s likely that they will start making more money now is it not?

For example, Royal mail shares currently trading at under 4 quid – above offer price of £3.30 but much lower than 1st day trading of £4.55 (all time high topped at £6.18 IIRC, I sold at £5.98)

Drac

Best start getting angry then.

binners

To summarise….

We all got well and truly bent over, and continue to be, while the people responsible were left absolutely unaffected by it all, trousered all their enormous salaries and bonuses and skipped off into the sunset, like the Morcombe and Wise end credits, laughing their tits off that they bum-raped us all that easily

It was so easy in fact, that they’re busy creating the perfect conditions to do it all again, as they can’t believe that governments would be so mind-numbingly stupid as to leave the whole system completely unreformed, and gleefully urged them to get on with their limitless greed and fraudulent behaviour ‘Business as Usual’

Something to look forward to eh?

wrecker
    Free Member

I know that this is probably a contrary view, but wasn’t the bailout necessary? Without getting too idealist about it; is it not probable that we’d be in even deeper shit had Gordon handed over the moneys?
    Even if not, it’s done now and I just want us to do what is in the taxpayers interest, and not the banks. They seem very keen for to govt to sell up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know that this is probably a contrary view, but wasn’t the bailout necessary?

Of course it was. We’d be even more **** now if it hadn’t happend. That’s why they did it.

binners

I know that this is probably a contrary view, but wasn’t the bailout necessary?

If the people who’s job it was to monitor these things had actually done so, if the government had bothered listening to the people warning them what was happening, instead of unquestioningly fawning over bankers, or if the senior management of the banks (in return for their obscenely enormous salaries) actually had the remotest clue, or even a passing interest in what their mischievous minions were doing, we’d never have needed a bailout in the first place

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

And the horsemeat thing?
    And parliamentary expenses?
    And all the government interception of well, all the internet?

Of course it was. We’d be even more **** now if it hadn’t happend. That’s why they did it.

So what would have happend if they’d just let the banks go tits up? I never could work that out.

mefty
    Free Member

The “bank bailout” can be distilled into three broad areas:

Liquidity support – the Bank of England provided liquidity, short term loans, at above market rates to the banks to theirs needs, these were profitable.

Equity: The government purchased shares in four banks: RBS, Lloyds and Bradford & Bingley & Northern Rock (both of whom were nationalised). The amount paid for the RBS shares is still more than their present value by about 25%, Lloyds are above breakeven and some have been sold, Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley were restructured into a viable operations, which were been sold, and “bad banks” which are being worked out under government ownership. Money is likely is to be lost overall on the latter two banks that were nationalized.

Off Balance sheet scheme – there was an Asset Protection Scheme and a credit guarantee scheme which essentially involved the payment of a fee by the banks in return for a guarantee of some of their assets and some of their liabilities (so they would find investors). These schemes were closed without costs and the fees charged are a profit.

The real cost of the crisis was the cost of dislocation caused in the economy.

dknwhy

There was the very real risk that people would go to cash machines and not be able to take out their money as banks went bankrupt.
    Where would that leave people with mortgages through bankrupt banks?

The government had no choice but to lend. Unfortunately, we rely on borrowing too much.

Haven’t RBS paid everything back now anyway?

BoardinBob

while the people responsible were left absolutely unaffected by it all

It’s rather simplistic to only blame the banks for the disaster. In reality it was society as a whole. People desperate to get on the property ladder, lying on applications, borrowing way beyond their means, general greedy consumerism. The banks were only one part of the problem, but they’re not solely responsible. Some of the responsibility must lay with those that borrowed money from the banks in the first place. That’s something that gets almost universally ignored.

binners

Definitely not! This bloke had to give up his knighthood!! Imagine that?!!! But not his absolutely ****ing massive pension. As that would have been a bit harsh

And also….. erm…. yeah…. also ….. no….. thats it really…

loosing your savings is a good point but:

Where would that leave people with mortgages through bankrupt banks?

This is the bit I don’t understand. Where would it have left them? Would the insolvency people have demanded immediate repayment of the loan? (which wouldn’t have happened) or would the debt just have been sold to another lender? (if they could have found one).

jota180
    Free Member

This is the bit I don’t understand. Where would it have left them? Would the insolvency people have demanded immediate repayment of the loan?

They’d have sold your loan to Wonga

wrecker
    Free Member

Mefty; thanks for that clarification. Wasn’t the majority of the money part of the second (and unresolved) “equity” part?

People desperate to get on the property ladder, lying on applications, borrowing way beyond their means, general greedy consumerism.

I thought that it was mainly due to the “sub-prime” situation in the US where the banks were wholly negligent in their lack of checks and balances of individuals finances?

Hobster
    Free Member

If it had been confined to a consumer level the fallout would have been a lot less even given the level of default and fraud.

What absolutely rodgered the financial system was the debt being repackaged, leveraged and repackaged again into obscure derivatives.

On top of this insurance was sold on both the repackaged debt and on the banks themselves so in the end no one knew who could actually pay their obligations so the system ground to a halt.

molgrips
    Free Member

In reality it was society as a whole.

Yes, including those people who were suckered in by neocon policies and voted for them. But then again, how were normal people to know?

What absolutely rodgered the financial system was the debt being repackaged, leveraged and repackaged again into obscure derivatives.

Ahh yes, I remeber talking to a guy who was vaugley involved with trying to sort out one of the banks that did go to the wall (might have been Lehmans?). He was quite hot on derivatives and said the bank was selling products so complicated that nobody at the bank actually knew what they were or (more importantly for him) give any idea of a fair value for them.

russianbob
    Free Member

Exactly how much do ‘you’ think you paid to bailout the banks? £1000 each, £10000 each?

wrecker
    Free Member

£TOOMUCH. Unless we get a very healthy profit. The banks are profiting again, why shouldn’t we?

mefty
    Free Member

The majority of the actual cash outlay was for capital but the real exposure was at least ten times greater under the other two. However now only the shares are outstanding and we are losing money as we are funding them, ie paying interest, and receiving no dividends. This loss may be recouped if we sell at a profit.

This is a pretty good source if you want more information – NAO FAQ

russianbob
    Free Member

Thing is, as individuals you’ve probably stuck a tenner in. And it’s not like you got taxed more to pay it. All these people that go on about how they bailed the banks out, how they paid bankers wages etc etc. Really?

wrecker
    Free Member

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has reported pre-tax profits of £1.6bn for the three months to the end of March

How the **** are we not getting our share of this? Don’t we effectively own 80-odd% of it?

Thing is, as individuals you’ve probably stuck a tenner in. And it’s not like you got taxed more to pay it. All these people that go on about how they bailed the banks out, how they paid bankers wages etc etc. Really?

Yeah, we could not have found a use for those billions at all. It was just spare cash lying around. Local councils, hospitals, police etc are wiping their arses with fivers. And with these service being cut, we’ve not lost out on anything at all, have we?

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno if this has got much coverage yet, just caught up with the File On Four podcast today…

Surprise surprise, more bankers ripping us all off

And if you can’t listen to the whole doc…
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29316907

mudshark
    Free Member

How the **** are we not getting our share of this? Don’t we effectively own 80-odd% of it?

We would get our share but not sure how much would be paid out and how much retained for future use.

russianbob
    Free Member

When the shares have been sold, as they have done, the profits will go back into the coffers. Not out to individuals. Like I said, a tenner each. 30,000,000 tax payers in the country. 80% of 1.6bn = 1.28bn. 1.28bn divided by 30mil = £42. After tax you can have £30 each. Hardly millions is it?

jota180
    Free Member

Thing is, as individuals you’ve probably stuck a tenner in

What’s that then? 70,000,000*10 = £700,000,000

Latest figures suggest it has so far cost £123,000,000,000 – so around £1750 for every man, woman and child [so far]

wrecker
    Free Member

Thing is, as individuals you’ve probably stuck a tenner in.

Out of interest, I looked this up. Very simplistic, but apparently we lent £850 billion. There are 32.49 Million employed in the UK, so an individual contribution of approx £26,000. This seem right?

MoreCashThanDash

Actually, I can’t see that we’ve answered the mortgage question?

If my mortgage lender goes bust, my debt is one of it’s assets that would be sold on if a buyer could be found? Would the terms of my mortgage still be binding on the new mortgage company?

russianbob
    Free Member

Granted, more than a tenner, a lot more. But is anyone £26000 worse off because of it? As an individual? And I’m not talking about recession or redundancies, I’m talking about as a direct result of the bailout.

jota180
    Free Member

Actually, I can’t see that we’ve answered the mortgage question?

Above ^^^^

They’d have sold your loan to Wonga

wrecker
    Free Member

Would the terms of my mortgage still be binding on the new mortgage company?

I suppose that the new lender could send you a new contract/Ts&Cs to sign or seek settlement under the current terms?

But is anyone £26000 worse off because of it? As an individual?

I’m not sure the “we” in the OP referred to individuals, more the country as a whole. And when you add up all those tenners it comes to a lot of money that could be spent on something else.

So it would be nice to get it back (with a bit of profit) sometime.

mudshark
    Free Member

I think it would be under current T&Cs, so if your interest rate could be whatever the lender wanted it to be then you might be in trouble – though you could then cancel it if T&Cs allowed. Mortgages would likely be sold on for less than their value depending on how risky it was deemed to be and the T&Cs – so if a fixed rate easyish to value.

wrecker
    Free Member

But is anyone £26000 worse off because of it? As an individual?

We all are through the decreased level of public services we receive due to the cuts. The UK is getting poorer due to the borrowing. We work longer, and it’s probable that pensions will be crap. Benefits freezes. Pay freezes for public sector. Les govt projects for the private sector to service. Less police, health professionals, military redundancies. Who exactly do you think is effected by decreased govt spending?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bank Bailout. What happened?’ is closed to new replies.