Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bank account question
  • failedengineer

Has anyone opened a joint bank account which neither of the holders’ salaries are paid in? My OH and I would like to use such an account to pay DDs which apply to us both and set up DDs from our individual accounts to feed it every month. Simple you might think. However, it seems that many banks require the account to be you main account and for you to have your salaries paid in.

nickjb
    Free Member

Ours with Natwest is like that. We just chuck money in each month to cover the bills.

lunge

Me, a Santander account. It’s mine and Mrs Lunge’s bill account, salaries into different accounts, DD into the shared account to cover mortgage etc. Don’t remember is being overly difficult to set up.

IHN

The banks don’t know whether money hitting the new account is a salary payment or a Standing Order (not DD, there’s a difference) payment from your other account.

So you’ll be fine.

mick_tvr
    Free Member

We have a joint account with Santander, no salaries paid in. I just transfer money in from another account each month.

Mick

GrahamS

We do the same with NatWest. Individual accounts for salaries and personal spending etc.

Both have a fixed standing order going into the joint account to cover household bills, mortgage etc (not a requirement of opening it – just the way we have it set up).

failedengineer

Excellent, thanks. Didn’t look at either of those two, we were trying to avoid the big banks and use a Building Society if possible but it’s no big deal.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

got joint accounts at both hsbc and santander for bills, wages paid to our own accounts and then money is transfered to joint

santander 123 lite account is £1 fee a month but cashback on bills will earn £4-5 a month

soundninjauk

Same here with Santander 123, joint account with no salaries paid in, just a standing order from each of us each month.

Handy for cashback on mortgage payments, bills etc.

ossify

We have it – 2 joint accounts, main one with Halifax and another with TSB.

Wages paid into Halifax and then we transfer some into TSB, where bills are paid from.

Both require a certain amount to be paid in each month (£500 iirc) to receive the bonuses but it doesn’t have to be salary (or even paid in at all, but then you lose the interest or whatever for that month).

jolmes
    Free Member

Have the same set up with Natwest, both our main accounts (salaries paid into) our own accounts and a joint account set up for all bills and dd’s, we just transfer a set amount of money per month to cover everything.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Same as a few others above. Both have salaries paid into our own accounts then all the bills are paid out of a joint account. All accounts with natwest

GrahamS

Oh yeah, meant to say, the joint account at the NatWest is the cashback one, since that’s the one all our bills etc come off.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m with FD the wife is with HSBC (same but different) and we have a joint FD account set up in this way. It’s a bog standard current account, maybe if it is something other than a bog standard current account that pays a higher rate of interest or other benefits they may require salaries, or at least one salary, to be paid in to qualify for the benefits.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bank account question’ is closed to new replies.