Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bangor, Maine-what to do?
  • ppolski
    Free Member

Well I’m hoping to end up there after a work trip in a couple of weeks and I think I’ll take a few leave days to do some exploring.

So.. some of you must have been there, what should I do/see/eat/drink etc? Happy to hire a car and explore or open to any other suggestions…

downshift

Never been there for longer than a night, but my suggestion would be lobster. Eaten.

hairyscary

I got snowed in there for three days when heading to Las Vegas with the RAF in 2007. I basically spent three days being given money to go and drink beer in the Salty Sea Dog. For some reason I don’t really remember a lot about the experience…….other than the beer in the Salty Sea Dog was good.
    Sorry, not much help.

timba
    Free Member

Go canoeing linky

BillOddie

Maine and New England on general is a nice place to drive around and explore. The Maine coastline is known for being especially stunning!

Take some walking shoes and a good camera.
    Eat seafood and go for oversized breakfasts!

dannyh
    Free Member

Smoke old stogies you have found, short, but not too fat around?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Settlers in Maine were thinking up town names and they came up with Bangor? 😆

Okay I guess someone was Welsh, but still 😀

(I mock 😉 , yeah I know there’s Bangor in NI as well).

RustySpanner

Perhaps you could make a little boat out of paper and sail it along the gutter?

cheviots
    Free Member

Stay away from clowns!
    “We all float down here”

Creaky

I went to Bangor a couple of times in 2008, stopping overnight when passing through. I did try mountain biking in some kind of town park, which was just an area of flat woodland. It was hardly worth bothering with and I got lost. Downtown Bangor seemed pretty dead. All of the retail action has moved out to the malls. The single best thing about the place was Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, which I would have recommended but it seems to get very mixed reviews these days.

Inland Maine is just trees, trees, trees. The 2 best places in the state that I went to were Mount Katahdin, which is probably the finest mountain in the North-Eastern USA and Mont Desert Island, which has the Acadia National Park. Both are quite a way from Bangor. The Maine coastline may be stunning by the standards of the US Atlantic coast but it makes you realise how lucky we are to have the coastal scenery of Britain and Ireland.

Sorry if this is a bit negative but it’s not a place I would recommend travelling any distance to visit. There are plenty of better places in New England.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bangor, Maine-what to do?’ is closed to new replies.