Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • ***Banging the drum – Surrey Cycling Survey and Petition***
  • santacruz
    Free Member

Apologies if posted elsewhere.

I have just received the below communication from Head to the Hills in Dorking:

“As you may have already noticed, Surrey has become a cycling hotspot over the last few years. Taking inspiration from the Olympics and Tour of Britain (Cav’s been through Dorking four times in the last few years!), there’s been a huge increase in the number of cyclists on the roads, either taking part in organised events like Ride 100, or just heading out by themselves or with friends to enjoy our beautiful lanes. Obviously we think this increase in cycling is great, but unfortunately not all residents do, and it’s becoming a bit of a contentious issue.

To make the most of this boom in cycling, and to also take into consideration the views of residents and businesses that have concerns about this growth, Surrey County Council are developing a Cycling Strategy, and want our views to inform it. So make sure you get your say – head over to their website here and fill out the survey, where you’ll also find details of a Cycling Debate to be broadcast on BBC Surrey on Wednesday 23rd October.

As a backdrop to this, there are a couple of petitions in circulation at the moment. The first ‘anti-cycling’ petition was set up to protest to Surrey County Council about the increase in cycling (particularly the closed road and other organised cycle events), the second ‘pro-cycling’ petition has been set up in direct response to the first one. The ‘pro-cycling’ petition is here
    , and includes a link to the ‘anti-cycling’ one, in case you’d prefer to fill that one in. With the benefit of a head start, the anti-cycling one is winning at the moment, but the pro-cycling one is catching fast, and as Cav would testify, it’s who crosses the line first that matters, so get clicking!”

clanton
    Free Member

Signed

asterix
    Free Member

Done

timpol
    Free Member

Done

allthepies
    Free Member

Done

40mpg

Done. We have similar issues down here (New Forest) with a vocal minority of those-in-charge supported by local press whipping residents up into a Daily-Mail-esque frenzy to a point where 2 wiggle events have been sabbotaged (tacks on road, and a couple of weeks ago mud spread over the route)

zippykona

Signed as long as it doesn’t lead to more gravel on our tracks.

ssnowman
    Free Member

Signed

cinnamon_girl

I’ve just signed it but have to say that the spelling and sentence construction was poor.

Sorry for being a pita. 😳

arcing
    Free Member

Signed

santacruz
    Free Member

We are catching up now

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Done.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Would a signature/address from Lancashire be a help or a hindrance to the cause?

Caher

signed – although I’ve just moved from Surrey.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I put my location as the lager lout capital of Surrey. 😀

Edit: I don’t live in Surrey but sometimes visit there.

scaredypants

spelling and sentence construction was poor.

Aye 🙁

(I put my real location – course, I couldn’t hope to ride the 60-70 miles there 🙄 but I’d be pleased to drive up and circle the route at 20mph if it helps)

santacruz
    Free Member

All responses welcome muddydwarf. This is a matter of both principal and precedent.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good call santacruz!

santacruz
    Free Member

It is of course principle not principal .

endurancenut
    Free Member

I filed in the survey, and here’s what I commented about the main issues and concerns about cycling in Surrey –

Motorists not obeying the highway code – particularly exceeding the speed limit, jumping red lights, passing vulnerable road users too closely, using their horn aggressively, not using mirrors before moving off, not providing room for cyclists when passing through traffic calming measure, overtaking when the road is not sufficiently clear ahead, encroaching on the safety zone at junctions with advanced stop line. You list “cyclists not obeying the highway code” as a issue above. But you do not list “motorists not obeying the highway code”. I drive as well as cycle and so can see both sides of the coin. Motorists not obeying the highway code is a much more common occurrence than cyclists; you may be thinking – not me – but I bet you exceed the 30mph speed limit on almost every journey, and what’s more dangerous, a car exceeding the speed limit or a cyclist cycling on a pavement or jumping a red light? Take a look at the fatality figures for the answer to that question.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘***Banging the drum – Surrey Cycling Survey and Petition***’ is closed to new replies.