Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bangernomics – fuel gauge alternative
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back in the world of cars…
    My newest purchase with about 200,000miles a fine 92 vintage that cost the same as the pedals I picked up today…

Filled it up and off I went, 150 miles later the fuel gauge still says full – as awesome as that would be it should have used 1/4 of a tank. So drive to the trip meter and keep a can in the car? Any other ingenious ideas?

wwaswas

Just work out your minimum ‘range’ and use the trip computer to remind you to fill up.

I get about 500-600 miles out of a tank of fuel in my car so I’d probably fill it up every 400 miles.

Don’t ever put in ‘twenty quids worth’, always fill to the top.

And carry a can with some extra in the boot ‘just in case’.

Stoner
    Free Member

I havent got round to finding the fault in my fuel gauge in the landrover in 18 months. Drive 400 miles, fill up.

The gauge shows full all the time. Fortunately the empty tank light does work when the level gets low even if the dial is still showing full, so I do get a flicker of a warning if Im pushing my luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah was thinking that was the way, need to work out what a tank does… Off to buy a fuel can

porter_jamie

i bought a new to me hiace van years back and i did the same thing – filled it up to the brim and drove it home. for the first 200 odd miles nothing happened, and then it slowly came down to 1/2 a tank at around 300 miles – i thought awesome its going to do 600 to a tank. sadly as soon as it got to around 1/3 to just under 1/2 it plummeted to empty in about 100 miles. i always always reset the trip meter when i brim it, just incase the fuel gauge plays silly buggers, but also it is a handy indication if anything is amiss – if your miles to a tank drops by 50 miles or so you know its time to change the air filter or something

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bangernomics – fuel gauge alternative’ is closed to new replies.