Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Bangernomics, any motoring cheap skates about.
  • uplink
    Free Member

once bought a Renault 4 for 100FF (~£10) from a guy near Nice

we drove it all the way from the South of France to Woodhall services on the M1, where it died
    AFAIK – it’s still there

paul4stones

How on earth do you decide what to get? A quick look at local sales advertised in the Autotrader show an enormous range of vehicles including a Sinclair C5 for £495!

will
    Free Member

As somebody said cheaper base models tend to be better as less to go wrong etc…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member

£950 on an Audi A4 avant V reg 3 years ago. Petrol, had 125k on it, full climate package, the works as its the ‘special edition’ now upto nearly 170k. Its had 2 wheel bearings, 2 suspension bits and some rear pads and discs. Spent less than £200 on it, been all over Europe does 42mpg on a run. Tho needs a cam belt, meant to have one done at 90k, had a look the other day and it hasnt..oops.

Hiya mate, where you been again?!?! Never guess who I’ve been out riding with recently… Yup, your ex missus! She lives not far away… Anyway…

Ironically it’s my X plate A4 Avant that’s starting to cost a lot of money, though its far from base spec. 2.5L V6 TDi Quattro with all the bells and whistles, and needs a cambelt change (including water pump, it’s about £700 for the parts alone!) and about 500 quid spending on it to get it through its next MOT…

aracer
    Free Member

a Sinclair C5 for £495

I’d recommend not one of those.

NZCol

Brilliant, there you are talking about knackered old bangers and someone pops up to tell you he’s been ‘spending riding time’ your ex. I love STW 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mark. It doesnt NEED one. It’s just recommended. I’m 10k off doing doing double the recommended milage.

Ps she had mentioned it.

5lab

the mondeo of doom was bought for £1000 in 2005, at a smidge under 6 years old (so a stonking bargin from the start) and 120,000 miles. Since then, i’ve done 65,000 miles. Its on its first clutch, and in the time I’ve had it it has been treated to

3 oil changes
    1 air filter
    1 set glow plugs
    1 set of disks/pads
    2 sets of front tyres, 1 set of rears (part worns @ £20 fitted per corner)
    cruise control
    a bit of welding and 2 springs for MOTs

its had no other servicing. it has never broken down. The aircon never worked, and the central locking is on the blip a little, but otherwise its been faultless. It has no straight body panels, the bumpers are held together with gaffa tape and it pulls to the left. My other half learned to drive in it, then proceeded to drive into various things after passing (including head on into a curb @ 40mph, which folded in one of the sills).

I’ll not bother throwing it at another MOT, as I’m bored with it. I may take it banger rading to see it out..

toby1

Not really bangernomics – but I just spent £3k on a 10 year old Civic type R, owned by a mates recently retired Dad who loved this car like a child, garaged for life, spotless interior, still even smells new) 82k miles and just lovely condition all over.

Not sensible, not overly expensive either though (family loan that I’ll pay off in a year and no interest).

So while it’s not £500 or under (I feel I have done my fair share of driving crappy cars) it’s still a bargain and will be great unless for some reason I need to start commuting to work regularly when it won’t seem such a good idea as it puts away petrol like I put away biscuits!

toby1

Hah 5lab

the bumpers are held together with gaffa tape

I think that’s a standard feature on Mondeo’s of that period – so much so that it may even be an original feature of the car!

5lab

they appear to be made out of hte same material as kinder eggs, which isn’t best suited to parking by feel..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My first car at the end of last autumn was a Fist Cinquecento, a mate wanted to use it on the scrappage allowance but didn’t meet the criteria, so he said I could have it to learn in. It was a wreck, the roof had lots of leaks and the sunroof was jarred open, none of the panels lined up quite right and it made a loud buzzing sound like a dentists electric drill in 1st gear. After 6 weeks it just stopped, about 200 meters from a scrap yard. It was like it knew it was being driven there for a reason and just wanted to be crushed as it had had nothing more to give. We (my mate was teaching me) tried to haggle with the scrap yard owner on price, he knew we weren’t going to push it home or pay for a tow so we settled on £100 and a lift home. My mate only paid £75 for it 3 years earlier.

My second car was an MG ZR 105+ on a 2003. My sister had it from new but had treated it rough, it had 150k on the clock a broken door sill, broken sun roof, and lots of interior trim missing. Worse of all it stank, her dog had vomited all over the boot. I swooped it for 2 weeks labour decorating her new house and landscaping the gardens. I passed my test in it and drove it till July when the head gasket went a week before it’s MOT. It was worth less than the cost if a repair (needed a new sill, brake discs and a few other bits) I just sold it for a grand. The guy who brought it wants to use it as a donor car to go racing?!? He was not botherd about the smell as hd said he will strip the interior down.

Girl friends mum lent me her MX5 since then, but she asked for it back so today I’ve brought a Celica. Feels weird paying for a car.

seizednuts
    Free Member

My current heep was bought for £95, l reg nissan micra, Base model not a god damn thing on it to go wrong( Fingers crossed).
    Does 45 to the gallon. Great for taking the dogs out and can fit 2 MTB’s in the back with all the gear. Tip up at the trail centers and look at the Thousands of pounds worth of motors and chuckle to my self.

I usualy over take the owners on the trail they can have the road. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

I never follow the bangernomics rules to the T because I don’t want to buy a £300 wreck, even though it has it’s benefits, it involves too much time buying cars each year. But I had a 205 petrol and that lasted about 5 years and I now have a 306 D and that’s cost me sweet FA since I bought it, other than tyres and fuel, so yes I do do bangernomics but in a slightly more advanced form – I repair them myself and they last forever.

mboy
    Free Member

Catflees = my new hero! 😀

On a serious more, keep your fingers crossed for me, hopefully re-entering the banger world myself in the next few days, here’s hoping I find a good one that will last a few years.

Lifer
    Free Member

toby1

Civic type R..it’s still a bargain

Have you got a stack of front tyres somewhere then? 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bangernomics, any motoring cheap skates about.’ is closed to new replies.