Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bangernomics advice please.. Honda Accord 2.2ctdi
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Not sure whether £1k is stw bangernomics but…

Going to look at a 2004 Honda accord 2.2ctdi priced at £1k
    Its an executive model so great spec with sat nav and leather heated seats etc
    145k miles on the clock and owned / self serviced by owner since 2008
    Apparently still on the original clutch and turbo.
    My biggest concern would be clutch / DMF but anything else to check?

Any thoughts..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well if there is 145k on the clutch and turbo then maybe check them out. Sounds like they will be properly cream crackered by now.

slackboy

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/accord-2003/?section=good

exhaust manifold cracking is quite common apparently

cloudnine
    Free Member

The manifold has been done once

butcher

You’ll probably know the clutch is a common replacement on the diesel models, and I think they’re the best part of 1k to do because of their location… That’s what put me off.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Clutch is a big job on these needing special Honda tooling. They don’t have a DPF which is a good or bad point depending on your point of view. It will probably need suspension parts looking at, at some point. Timing chains can give problems at higher mileage’s. I would be more worried about them than the clutch or DMF.

spooky_b329

Clutch can be a weak point, the pressure plate can warp. The symptoms are the clutch slipping in 5th and 6th under hard acceleration, but notably the unusual behaviour where if you keep your foot down, suddenly it stops slipping and the car continues to accelerate normally. I’m not sure of when the issues started but in 2009 it was still a problem.

singletrackmind

Tailgate release is electronic and can be problematic.
    No DPF is a positve, everything is much of a muchness in larger turbo deisel estates at 100k / 10-15 years old.
    There is not a car out there which has clutch/dmf thats £250 to fix
    Same with Turbos
    Same with Injectors
    Same with HP fuel pumps

You pays your ( quite small amount ) of money , and take a chance (on me). If it goes 1 year, does 18,000 miles and you can sell it for what you paid with 1 years ticket = bangernomics

muzz
    Free Member

Sold quite a few similar.

Don’t worry about DMF.

Make sure clutch pedal is not too stiff, or have a bite that is hard to control – dodgy clutch at worst, or an uncomfortable calf cramper at best.

Check for slipping under load.

They can also be a bit smoky, don’t be put off by a bit when cold, but make sure not excessively smoky.

malgrey
    Free Member

I had one, 04 plate Sport estate, probably my favourite estate car I’ve owned overall for how comfortable and smooth it was. It died a Viking death when torched by some yobbos whilst parked up overnight in a remote spot whilst I was canoe camping.

All above cover the main things; clutch, manifold (should have been replaced with part contribution by Honda), suspension, tailgate. Mine had a major warranty engine rebuild due to chain running the oil pump failing, a known fault on early models but should have been replaced during its life. I know a few friends who also have/had them, most have a few niggles at that age but nothing major other than mentioned. Not as cheap to run/fix as a Ford, say. Apart from the warranty issue and the manifold, mine was still going strong and driving smoothly at 167k when it was killed. (still sad about it 7 years later!)

Engine smooth and powerful compared with others of its era. Economy not brilliant, managed low 40s generally. Used some oil, but not excessive. Massive boot on the estate. Much nicer to be in than the Mondeo I had to replace it with.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

+1 for had one and recommended.

But…..you are right at the bottom of the market here and more than usually likely to suffer from any of the known ailments above.

Buy on service history, condition and test drive.

I think I’d be tempted to go petrol Accord, Mazda 6 or Mondeo for an estate car at this budget.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bangernomics advice please.. Honda Accord 2.2ctdi’ is closed to new replies.