Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bangernomiceristas. What to do when it goes bang.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

The big white whale (RIP Berta) has a rust subframe and various other MOT failures.

Its time to retire her at 243000. MOT is now lapsed and she’ll not be gettimg driven anywhere.

So i have a few questions. Do i scrap it? Or is there a betterway of scrapping for value. My parents need a van can it add value as a scrapper for them?

Not sure on my course of action for the next car. Wouldn’t mind going bigger than a golf estate tdi this time whats good? Berlingos etc have caught my fancy but the golf was a nice powerful enough car.

Lets have a recommend what you have thread.

My prediction is trailrat with some good advice on berlingos.
    Northwind recommending a mondeo estate. And i’ll be dissapointed if there isn’t atleast one silly suggestion (landtrover/mx5)

Gary_M
    Free Member

My parents need a van can it add value as a scrapper for them?

If you mean as part of a ‘scrappage scheme’ then no as vehicle must have an MOT cert.

Stick it on eBay.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The newest Galaxy / Sharan / Alhambra that you can afford.

Sharalhambraxy?

Enough like a car that it’s comfortable.
    Enough like a van that it’s useful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Scap? call the local guy, laugh at his first offer, comment on how scrap values are on the up and take the £100 if you are lucky

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Scrap it.

Let the cycle begin again. Subaru forrester

simon_g

Ford let you use a car in their “scrappage” scheme to buy a van. Not sure on MOT requirement though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ford let you use a car in their “scrappage” scheme to buy a van. Not sure on MOT requirement though.

As above, needs an in date mot cert

deviant
    Free Member

Ebay’d a non runner recently for £150…also called the local scrap man about a write off (but would run) and got just over £100…seems to be about right.

Been replacing cars with anything using VAG’s 1.9tdi engine for years now….theyre economical, reliable, good poke/shove, cheap etc

Had Seat Leon tdi, Mk4 Golf tdi, Passat tdi, Audi A4 tdi…all brilliant and varied from £500 to £750….mileage from 150,000 to 225,000 but seeing as these engines are usually good for 300,000+ it’s all good…becoming thin on the ground now sadly and the subsequent 2.0 tdi wasn’t nearly as reliable and had problems with DPFs, simply exploding etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Been replacing cars with anything using VAG’s 1.9tdi engine for years now….theyre economical, reliable, good poke/shove, cheap etc

I know bloody great car it was

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Your next bangeronmics car needs to be a Pug 407 saloon. I know where you can get one for £300 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker – Member
    Your next bangeronmics car needs to be a Pug 407 saloon. I know where you can get one for £300

Theres the non sensible suggestion ticked!

Good luck though!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Surely you get whatever decent condition car you can find locally for 500 quid or so rather than restricting yourself to certain makes/models?

funkrodent

Well, I’ll join Northwind with the Mk3 Mondeo Estate suggestion. Had two now. Bought first one for £1200 with 90k on clock, did 30k in just over a year without it missing a heartbeat and then wrote it off in an unfortunate roundabout/black ice interface. Bought another one for £750 with 120k on clock. 18 months later it now has 165k on clock. Sailed through MOT with no advisories, starts first time, every time, no complaints at all. And in true bangernomic fashion done nothing to either of them (other than change the oil), no services. Great cars, cavernous space and comfortable as hell to drive (I have a chronic bad back so appreciate a car I can do a 5 hour drive in without then having to spend 3 hours unwinding my body). Both have been the 1.8l petrol which is ever so slightly underpowered but never been an issue.

joshvegas
    Free Member

To a degree i agree.

But.

I need some requirements to be met. A 500quidtwingo is not going to get a bunch if doors to the skip. VW was goid but i belueve parts for newer volkswagons makes bangernomicering a little less favourable.

Also i dont really kniw what cars fit my description.

Not trying to narrow down to brands or models just to get an idea what works as a replacement.

funkrodent

perchypanther – Member
    The newest Galaxy / Sharan / Alhambra that you can afford.

Sharalhambraxy?

Mr Panther will of course be referring to the pre 2007 Galaxies I’m assuming. Certainly if he’s equating them with Shalhambra (for they are of course the same cars).

That said post 2007 Galaxies are superb and can now be picked up increasingly cheaply. Great diesel engine in those and good reliability too. On my shopping list when I can afford to upgrade the Mondeo (sooner rather than later because one more long journey with three kids, a wife, a large dog and a shed load of luggage may be the end of me..)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ford works for me as i live right next doir to scotlands only official mountune stockist.

Pimp

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mr Panther will of course be referring to the pre 2007 Galaxies I’m assuming

Correctamundo.

Having said that, I have an S-Max. I wish i’d got a Galaxy instead.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So a quick browse suggests much to choise from.

Started looking at galaxysand things and ended up at alphas…

matt_outandabout

Surely you get whatever decent condition car you can find locally for 500 quid or so rather than restricting yourself to certain makes/models?

This.

joshvegas
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    This

I covered this already Matt.

I wasnt asking what car to get i was asking what cars are bigger than a golf estate which fall into the cheap as possible category.

I can pick up a car for 500 quid but if its a smart car its going to be a painful skip run with a rubble bag on my lap.

downshift

I’ve a strange hankering for a Peugeot 406 estate at the moment; last decent car the firm made, and we’ve always had very good experiences with older French diesels.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d take a traction avant for 750notes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Big and French make great bangernomicing cars.

Anything VW makes poor bangernomicing as they cost so much for parts and need just as many as any other car.

Vauxhall are just poor at being cars.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Didnt have a problem with parts costs for the golf.

If they were expensive i look forward to cheap wrenching!

I fancy big french though… Classy lazy wafting is right up my street.

While you’re here though trailrat whats the engine of choice in a berlingo?

jambourgie
    Free Member

That’s not my experience trail rat. Every part for my Polo seems to cost between 99p and £15. Except for a full exhaust which was £45 😀

Vauxhall are just poor at being cars.

Agreed

BillMC

Peugeot 406 hdi? Don’t. Mine was a nightmare and in France you see none on the road, they all suffered an early death. IMHO of course.
    OTOH we’ve got two high mileage BM 320ds and they just keep going, whoever buys our old bangers (eventually) will be on to a winner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My engine of choice would be a 2.0hdi

Esp at that budget as you’ll still be mostly on the m59 MK2 or possibly an older m49 MK1

You don’t get many options. I run 1.9dw8s they have no turbo and are slower than a week in the jail….but simple and keep trucking.

Then Your onto the 1.6hdi in the later m59s

Or the petrols which were all woeful.

If you could find an m49 with the 1.9td engine that would be an absolute dream but those are like hen’s teeth and sought after.

If I couldnt have a 2.0hdi then it would be a 3.0v6 block and running gear out of a 406 coupe which drops straight in…….but again their getting rare due to the fact they drop in to many thing .

pondo

How big do it gotta be? You’d get a shiteload of rubble in the back of my Corsa. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Can you get a door or a bike for that matter in whole?

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you turn the bike into rubble …aye.

Get a Corsa with a towbar. Job done

joshvegas
    Free Member

Corsa van ticks all the boxes i guess..

Inbred456
    Free Member

Second the 1.8 mondeo mk3 estate. Plenty about, very reliable chain cam engine. As said a bit underpowered but they just run and run.

Saccades
    Free Member

Mg zt-t.

Dirt cheap, BMW diesel engine, great handling and pretty massive.

Parts are also dirt cheap.

pondo

Can you get a door or a bike for that matter in whole?

One bike front wheel out no bother, two bikes wheels out no bother. Door might not be so easy – buy mine off of ebay for chips and have a go. 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

My engine of choice would be a 2.0hdi

That engine changed my mind on French stuff, my last 3 cars have been 2.0 hdi’s and i used to hate anything French.

Had 2x 306’s and currently driving a 206, I’ve done well over 100,000 miles in those 3 and the biggest expense to date was a crank pulley at £85. The only other things I’ve had to change were an airflow meter, aux belt tensioner, thermostat, and get a blowing injector re seated into the head.

senorj

Have you considered a lease? 😉

matt_outandabout

2.0 hdi

Is that the same engine I’ve got in the Galaxy? 2.0tdci duratorq?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Bangernomiceristas. What to do when it goes bang.’ is closed to new replies.