Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Banff to Antelope Wells…..giggles …..
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’ve been given permission by the holder of the family finances and logistics to pack my job in next year if I haven’t got a new job by then that will let me have 4 weeks off to…. Ride The Divide!
    It’s going to be mint!
    I have nothing else to say at this point. I’ll probably have lots to say until I fly to USA.
    Whooo and indeed HOOOO!

soma_rich
    Free Member

OOoh what a chance in a lifetime. Have you done anything like that before? what bike? Make sure you take loads of photos for your magazine article/blog/book

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent stuff! As above, had much practice at this sort of thing? Quite a few bikepacking geeks around these parts (and the Bear Bones forum) if you need any pointers.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

80% doubletrack? Yawn

I used to think I’d like to do this route, but then I realised I’d be doing to say that I’d done it rather than because I actually wanted to.

Much more interesting long distance routes around, I think, e.g. http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.com/chemins-du-soleil/les-chemins-du-soleil/carte-de-litineraire

pedalhead
    Free Member

DoctorRad – Member
    80% doubletrack? Yawn

Spectacular level of “missing the point” there

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Spectacular level of “missing the point” there

“The” point being?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Nice edit there. You seriously need me to explain the attraction of a challenge like the Tour Divide?

nbt

Excellent, sounds like a great adventure – somethng you;ll undountedly enjoy.

I’ve just finished this book about that very ride

Have loaned it to a mate but will pencil you in as next on the list of you fancy reading it.

kcal

each to his own surely – bit uncharitable I have to say.

mental toughness a pre-requisite – good luck monksie

— Callum

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I have nothing but respect for those who have ridden, let alone raced, the route. I just don’t see the attraction myself any more…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Horses for courses, it’s definitely on my medium term to-do list. Monksie, come on over to the Bear Bones forum if you’d like to get involved in some bikepacking trips etc.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

It’s likely I will come full circle again by my late-50s 😉

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the goat trail between Banff and Canmore, if its like that but longer I’d give it a miss 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

I’d love to do it, would miss the family though, Jill Homers book is a good read and assume you’ve seen ride the divide, stunning landscapes. There’s some great bikepacking tips from Kurt Refsnider on the Reveal the Path DVD. Good luck with it.

easygirl

Sounds fantastic, go for,it

jameso

I fully appreciate the appeal of the route… the scale is the hard bit to take in ) good luck!

drofluf
    Free Member

Officially jealous!

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks! Quietly panicking now though.
    I’ve done the Sarn Helen in under 4 days towing a trailer, I’ve ridden down from Edinburger to Glentress and camped in the forest, I’ve done the SDW in a day a couple of times..
    My longest single day ride to date was 225 miles, London to Manchester. I regularly do 130 mile road rides….I’m going to die, aren’t I?
    My most favourite ever off road ride by a long way has the been SDW. It just suits me fine.
    I have the End to End pencilled in over 4 days (poss, 5) next spring.
    No book or blog I wouldn’t have thought. I want to do it because I want to do it- apologise if that sounds glib. Not intended. A kind of selfish ‘just for me’ kind of thing.
    I’ve just bought that book on Kindle NBT, but thank you. I’d not heard of the bear bones thing. i’ll start head pecking on their now. Thank you.
    Waves to the long time, not seen Callum.
    Thanks to evrybody for the good wishes. I’ll not go on about it too much….yeah, like!

Blackhound

Enjoy it Monksie, some lovely places on the route. From what you have previously done you should be fine. Brush Mountain Lodge is worth a stop as is Como Depot (South side of Boreas Pass) owned by an Englishman called Dave.

Download ‘Be Brave, Be Strong’ by Jill Homer and/or view her blog. Preferred it to Paul Howards book personally.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Ace. Make sure you arrive in Pie Town in time for pie 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks! Still worried 🙂
    I’ll research some of those places Blackhound.
    I’ve just finished Be Brave, Be Strong. She’s very American isn’t she?
    I’ll not be worrying your record Jenn. Shorter route, with gears, twice as long to do it.
    Pie Town….even the name of it makes me smile.

Blackhound

Pie in Pie Town! This was peach pie after my eggs, hashbrowns and toast:

101_0164 by blackhound59, on Flickr

rewski
    Free Member

Jill Homers’ Ghost Trails is worth a read too.

maccruiskeen

80% doubletrack? Yawn

only a measly 1000km of single track then – honestly can’t see the attraction in that 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Banff to Antelope Wells…..giggles …..’ is closed to new replies.