Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Bands/artists you wish you had seen in there prime .
  • docrobster
    Free Member

In roughly chronological order:
    before I was born:
    Beatles
    Stones
    etc
    I was alive but too young:
    Pistols
    Clash
    Blondie in their prime
    The Jam
    I was old enough but not cool enough:
    The smiths
    Joy division

The majority of bands of the last 20 years or so seem to have reformed if enough members still alive, so no excuses now (seen the specials and the beat in the last couple of yrs) although often the memory is tainted by the sight of 40something blokes trying to be 17..
    Was lucky enough to have seen the stone roses in their pomp (spike island).
    Agreed not exactly the best live band ever but not the worst. Main recollections of the day- gary clail/on u sound system having food thrown at them and going off in a huff. MC/announcer bigging up the scene in leeds/liverpool/sheffield. Me and my mate going – sheffield- its crap., we live there. Great fireworks at the end. nearly missing the bus back to sheff and contemplating kipping on the floor at runcorn station overnight.

thomthumb
    Free Member

would have been at the last waltz.

saw the specials last yeah – and although not in their prime – twas **** ace.

DezB
    Free Member

Seen most, but missed Nirvana on the Bleach tour.
    Saw Black Grape, which made me wish I'd seen the Happy Mondays.
    Bowwowwow never toured down here, so missed them.
    But the only real one which would've made my life complete would be Gang of Four. Saw them a on a comeback tour which was utterly brilliant, so in their prime…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyP
    Free Member

The Rolling Stones, without a doubt.
    Oh and Nina Simone. Any time really, not just 'in her prime'. We got tickets last time she was over, then couldn't make it. Ah well, next time. Oh, she's croaked. not happy.

tomzo
    Free Member

Blue.

The Clash
    The Jam
    Public Enemy

slimtubing
    Free Member

husker du
    pwei pre hiphop
    sahb

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

In the fifties Elvis, Bill Hailey,Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent.
    In the Sixties Hendrix, Cream, the Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground
    In the seventies Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Pistols (pre Viscious), New York Dolls, Black Sabbath, SAHB, Bon Scott AC/DC, Marc Bolan

Being an old codger the 80's onwards I went to see most bands that I was into. I'm a bit dissappointed not to see Nirvana.

Bands that I wished I hadn't bothered Stone Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC,.

DrJ

Joy Division

Saw them in Oxford in ??1979??80?? supporting the Buzzcocks. Read later something about it being Ian Curtis' last performance, so I guess I was just in time 🙁

flyingmonkeycorps

Too damn many, some because I was too young, some because they never played this country, some because I wasn't cool enough at the time – some a combination of the above.

[list]Nirvana – they probably weren't as good as some of their peers, but I'd still have liked to have seen them, possibly Unplugged.
    Springsteen – ideally roundabout when Born to Run came out.
    Uncle Tupelo – at any point during their career, but preferably around No Depression.
    Jawbreaker – again, at any point before they split, really.
    Minor Threat (though I have seen Fugazi)
    Black Flag
    Deak Kennedeys (all too young)
    Botch
    Rise Against (saw them, but they were poop)
    Johnny Cash
    The Clash
    Bob Dylan[/list]

There are more bands I HAVE seen though.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

The Jam
    The Clash
    The Smiths
    Bob Marley
    Johnny Cash

plumber
    Free Member

I've seen everyone except Patty Smyth in their respective prime.

Never ever turned down a gig and been to hundreds on my own

Experience is all

docrobster
    Free Member

D'oh! Just realised I put down I missed the stones cos I was too young.
    Saw them don valley stadium 1993.
    Unforgettable, clearly! 😳

CountZero

Thinking about it for a bit, there's some more I never got to see that I really wish I'd had the chance to: Joni Mitchell, (she hardly ever tours, and hates to fly), Greatful Dead, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, King Crimson, circa Court Of The Crimson King, The Smiths, (who actually played a gig in my home town, and I didn't bother getting tickets. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggg!), Roxy Music, (the same as The Smiths, played the Town Hall, when Virginia Plain was in the charts: my then g/f wasn't interested. Doh!).

oldfart

Remebered just after we got married was going to see Bob Marley but cashflow problems meant it didn't happen .Around the time of Exodus 1977 .

MrBlond
    Free Member

+ 1 Smashing Pumpkins (gish tour), Munkster may be along to gloat at some point (git)

rkk01
    Free Member

Pogues

crazy-legs

Queen Live at Wembley 86.
    I was just born a few years too late, was only 8 at the time.

tazzymtb

bauhaus
    virgin prunes
    southern death cult (only saw them as the cult, BOOOO!)
    pre 85 sisters of mercy

toby1

Chili Peppers (pre or on the tour for Blood Sugar Sex Magik) – saw them with Dave Navarro for the aeroplan tour.
    Pumpkins – Siamese Dream tour –
    have seem them since at Wembley
    Pearl Jam – Vs/Vitalogy time – still yet to see them
    Skunk Anansie around the second album – I know they re-formed, but it just seemed like that was for the cash, hearts not really in it.
    Quicksand
    Thrice – pre Vehissu i.e. while they were still angry and less experimental.

In years to come you will list Manchester Orchestra amoung these band names, but I was there last night and it was ace!

There must be others …

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

kate bush…has anyone ?

sc-xc

Oh yeah, just remebered Culture Shock. Love them so much, but have only seen Citizen Fish and Subhumans. No doubt Muddydwarf will be along soon to rub it in 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

In no particular order:
    The Tubes
    Linda Ronstadt
    Roxy Music
    Led Zeppelin
    Transvision Vamp
    Rick Danko
    Maria Muldaur
    Maria McKee / Lone Justice
    Nazareth
    The Stranglers
    Blondie
    Warren Zevon
    The Eagles
    Bonnie Raitt (may still be in her prime)
    Fleetwood Mac
    and more…

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

It appears that i saw all of the bands you wish you had in the early 90s.
    RATM, first uk show? supporting Suicidal Tendencies, then at the underworld and the ULU. Quicksand at the borderline and garage. Tool supporting fishbone when opiate came out. Beastie boys supporting Rollins band. Chilli peppers and rollins together a couple of times in 91. Smashing pumpkins, not sure what album, but early 90s when billy still had long hair. Nirvana, Soundgarden (badmotorfinger tour), pearl jam (yawn), Johnnny Cash………….

Feel old now, thanks a lot.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Dez,I saw Gang Of Four twice in their prime Great stuff!…and The Jam..and The Clash….and The Stranglers…I'm getting old.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Good call that one the pogues in the mid 80's

iseeadarkness
    Free Member

Would love to have seen The Velvets in their prime. Being too young and on the wrong continent didn't help…
    Always kicked myself at missing Sonic Youth on their Sister era tour
    Ditto for not going to see Gillian Welch (well she was support to Mary Chapin Carpenter who I did not want to see again, the first time was bad enough)
    Also would like to have seen:
    Television (with Richard Hell)
    Big Black (R*peman was phenomenal)
    Tim Buckley circa Happy/Sad & Greetings eras
    Sly & Family Stone
    Al Green
    oh and Dylan at the Newport Festival (electric obviously)

john_drummer
    Free Member

bauhaus
    virgin prunes
    southern death cult (only saw them as the cult, BOOOO!)
    pre 85 sisters of mercy

saw Bauhaus on The Sky's Gone Out tour. dull as dishwater
    never saw Virgin Prunes, wasn't a fan
    Southern Death Cult – check, December '82 🙂
    Sisters – yep, several times pre 85 and a few times since.

My list now:
    The Clash – could've / should've seen them at Bradford St George's Hall, summer '82 but never got round to it
    The Cure, Siouxsie & The Banshees – both played at Bradford Uni / St Georges Hall while I was a stoodent but again, never got round to it.

iseeadarkness
    Free Member

The Cure, Siouxsie & The Banshees – both played at Bradford Uni / St Georges Hall while I was a stoodent but again, never got round to it.

oh yeah, I was there when the Banshees split and The Cure came on as backing band for Siouxsie and Steve…
    also walked out on the juju era gig as it dull as ditchwater… 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My mate had a spare ticket to see Queen & David Bowie at Wembly in 1985. Oh how I kick myself for not going…I still remember hanging around doing nothing, thinking to myself, I'd have been there now… 😥

Also would loved to have seen the Stone Roses but thought they were pants when they were about.

DezB
    Free Member

saw Bauhaus on The Sky's Gone Out tour. dull as dishwater

Saw Bauhaus on the Flat Field and Mask tours, they were awesome. Daniel Ash one of those genius totally original guitarists. Blew me away. 🙂

Young Dave riley – Member
    Dez,I saw Gang Of Four twice in their prime

I think you may be the only person in the world I'm jealous of 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    Alice In Chains (with Layne Stayley, new vocalist is awesome though)
    Metallica (up to Black Album era)
    Arcturus
    Rage Against The Machine

mickasaki
    Free Member

Obvious one – stone roses. I was to envolved in raves at the time to 'waste' a night out! Never mind, going to see Ian Brown in cambridge in a couple of weeks!
    Joy Division would have been great too.

cinnamon_girl

Hendrix, that is all.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Talking Heads ~ was 5 at the time
    Tim Buckley ~ wasn't even born
    Kate Bush ~ was 5 at the time
    Nirvana ~ just didn't get into them quite enough before…

mickasaki
    Free Member

Pop Will Eat Itself! always remember them as being groundbreaking and unique. Not listened to them for years untill i bought there greatest hits(!) and know don't really get it! I know they wee a great show back in the day as my older brother saw them loads.

tazzymtb

danse society
    sex gang children
    uk decay
    and for beardy ss rider in me Jethro Tull

sc-xc

the poppies were ace…saw them a load of times in the early 90's…then on the feromation thing in 05/06? still had the energy.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Barry – you lucky fella! I used to have one of the PWEI pepsi shirts, favourite item of clothing i have ever owned, allways wore it! Untill a big argument with the girlfriend (now wife) and she crushed me in her front door and ripped it to shreds! I should have learnt!

tazzymtb

mickasaki-any destrcution of PWEI t shirt, unless at a gig is unforgivable! I'd have wee'd all over her favorite shoes for such a crime 😀

Yep PWEI were brilliant live, it was a strange phenomena that if the number of people seen wearing poppies T-shirts were actually fans they'd have been huge!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Bands/artists you wish you had seen in there prime .’ is closed to new replies.