Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bands you wish you’d paid more attention to when you were younger?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For example, I love The Smiths, Stone Roses, Talking Heads (amongst many others) but when I was younger I was so obsessed with other bands (Maiden, AC/DC etc) that they kinda passed me by at the time.

On reflection, I wish I had have bothered with them more as I am sure they would have given me so much joy and great memories had I followed them more closely.

So – who do you wish you had bothered with?

baldSpot
    Free Member

Nirvana
    Sonic Youth
    Metallica
    loads more…

chela
    Free Member

The Smiths, perhaps. Though I doubt they’d’ve given my youth joy and good memories…

Vanilla Ice. Oh hang on, that’s someone I should’ve paid less attention to. Ah, I see where my life went wrong now…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Sex Pistols

The Who

The Jam

but I was quite young really!

finbar
    Free Member

I think i’m still too young to understand this thread. I paid attention to bands i like, and ignored ones i didn’t. No regrets.

nicko74

Stone Roses – I was just the right age. Radiohead, back when my friends were banging on tediously about some band with a new album called the Bends, and before they turned utter pump.
    To be honest, until I went to university I didn’t exactly follow much music; now I can’t move for CDs…

MrAgreeable

Vanilla Ice. Oh hang on, that’s someone I should’ve paid less attention to.

Restraining order?

I too was a teenage metaller and I wish I had been a bit more open-minded about other genres of music instead of sneering at dance, hip hop, jazz, etc.

I also wish I’d bought more new hip-hop records when I was a student instead of balking at the £7.50 price of import 12″s.

And I also wish I’d been more persistent in nagging Dodgy Dave at Time Machine Records to order me a copy of “Double Nickels on the Dime” by the Minutemen. I finally got it a couple of years ago and it is good, but it might have made the teenage me a bit less miserable than a steady diet of Nine Inch Nails.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

there’s no bands i regret not taking notice of, but plenty that looking back i wish i’d never bothered with…

DezB
    Free Member

When I was 4 I liked Cilla Black and Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Titch. I should’ve been into the Rolling Stones and The Who as they are quite a bit better.

emac65
    Free Member

More of a Bands I liked then went off with me.Liked the Jam,bought all their singles upto around ’79.Went off them & then sold all their singles.Bought a ticket to see them on their final tour & then sold it on.One of my biggest regrets……..
    Did the same with X-Ray Spex too

gavinski
    Free Member

Maybe

i guess you can always think about ‘wishing you were at woodstock’ or some other seminal gig, but otherwise does it really matter when you ‘get’ a band? – at the time they made the music or 250 years later, if you started to like mozart – would you care that you weren’t born at the time?

Personally i was into similar rock/metal to you, and had a great time going to those gigs, wouldn’t have had time going to anything else anyway, so when i discover the Smiths or something now i’m not that bothered that i never saw them live.

music is only ‘cool’ in a small circle of folk. Most of the metal i listened to would not be cool by most people’s standards, but if i was first to get an album by some new band then i might have felt cool amongst my friends for a while – so what.

AdamW
    Free Member

My Bloody Valentine. Iconic band and I got into them just as they were about to fall to bits. Or, more likely, yawn to bits as they are the laziest band in the world.

fubar
    Free Member

I’m kind of the other way e.g. I loved (and still do) Talking Heads (and Smiths / ‘Indie’ stuff) but neglected Iron Maiden, Metallica etc… as I thought it was compulsory to have a dodgy denim/leather jacket with **** badges /patches (and a personaility disorder)..now I love a bit of heavy rock / metal.

petrieboy

The Libertines – only quite recently listened to their stuff and love it (have always been into roses, oasis, charlatans, mondays etc)
    i think I’d mentally categorised docherty as a “celebrity” and as such of absolutely no interest to me so ignored his stuff.

Garry_Lager

Regret missing The Smiths by a few years – I started going to gigs when I was 16 /17 which was around 1990, too late for Manchester’s finest. Also wonder what it would have been like being into dance / ‘rave’ music in 90 – 92. It’s never been my cup of tea at all, but a mate of mine practically tears up with nostalgia if you mention quadrant park in Liverpool. Sounds like a great time if you were into that scene.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Cure and The Smiths kinda passed me by – maybe it was because of the eejits I knew that were into them at the time…amazing how peer anti-pressure made me dislike a band i.e. I insisted on disliking the music because I didn’t have a great deal of time for Cure- or suede-heads.

Now I listen to the music and realise what great pop music it really was.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bands you wish you’d paid more attention to when you were younger?’ is closed to new replies.