Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Bands who used to be good…..
  • DezB
    Free Member

The Farm were never “good” DD! The epitomy of average.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

“Groovy Train” was the soundtrack of one memorable summer for me 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Farm were never “good” DD! The epitomy of average.

Oh, I couldn’t care less mate. I liked Spartacus and if they come on and play a bit of that, that’ll do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dezB they were good at being average 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Where are your figures coming from? None of the ones I’ve found reflect that.

Google, first result on the search I made.

Anyway, since when has album sales been a reflection of quality?

Well if you use that argument then neither of us can win – it’s entirely subjective.

DezB
    Free Member

it’s entirely subjective.

Hey hey! We’re talking music here. Facts is facts 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

😛

mikey74
    Free Member

And yet No Prayer for the Dying was their first ever album to achieve a gold disc in Italy…go figure.

Well if you use that argument then neither of us can win – it’s entirely subjective.

Bingo!!! Your prize is a plastic kazoo.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well your argument is sewn up then if they got one gold album in one territory. Perhaps they did a big tour there or headlined a festival that year?

grum
    Free Member

And people say STW is full of nerds…..

‘NO! THIS IS THE BEST IRON MAIDEN ALBUM’
    ‘ACTUALLY I THINK YOU’LL FIND…….’

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I thought Iron Maiden just released the same album lots of times with different scary monsters on the cover?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, technically the same scary monster called Eddie – originally designed by an artist called Derek Riggs (and I know this, along with lots more Maiden ‘facts’, without Googling).

Yes. STW is full of nerds.

CaptainSlow

I’ve got some tinsel for your plastic kazoo John 😀

My goggle fu isn’t up to it – I can’t find album sales numbers that I’ve any confidence in being accurate as they’re not consistent.

Yes. STW is full of nerds.

/Raises hand 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Well, technically the same scary monster called Eddie

hm. I knew that too, but tried to pretend that I didn’t.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Looking at most of the bands here who are described as being, at one point, “good”, I fear my understanding of the word’s meaning is in peril of being revised, as it may be inaccurate.

igm

Edward T Head wasn’t really scary though was he? I mean you could see him off playing golf with Alice Cooper at the weekend couldn’t you?

johndoh
    Free Member

😆

(He was slightly scary on the first album cover and very menacing as a silhouette on the Running Free single cover but he did get a bit soft later on).

But hands up all those who looked for semi naked women in the windows on the Killers album cover?

#handisup

mikey74
    Free Member

Final Frontier Eddie has gone scary again, though. The one that appeared from behind the backline during “Iron Maiden” on the last tour was fantastic (although I will always have a soft spot for “mummy” Eddie on the World Slavery tour).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

def with Pigface on D-A-D, and got tickets to see them again in a week and a half 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I met them all during the World Slavery tour (before a gig in Sheffield). As a 15 yr old I was very excited. Still have the autographed copy of Kerrang somewhere.

CountZero

Leaving aside the wrangling about a fairly average metal band, lets get back to the original subject.
    Agree with ZZTop, Cowboy Junkies, My Bloody Valentine, and I’ll add Elbow, The Shins, Arcade Fire, Stars, Metric and Calexico, who I saw last night. Last saw them on the Hot Rail Tour, thirteen years ago, and, aside from a small tour with Iron & Wine several years ago, haven’t done a full band tour since. They were outstanding, absolutely brilliant, the whole band were having a whale of a time.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m going to be controversial and say Metallica…they’ve put out a few duffers but I like Death Magnetic and they’re still ace live. Although Lars is an absolute tool.

Agree on Machine Head, although for me they’ll never top Burn My Eyes.

Pigface
    Free Member

def with Pigface on D-A-D, and got tickets to see them again in a week and a half

Going to be there as well 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll also chuck in Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Alter Bridge and In Flames (who seem to get better and better).

mrmoofo

The Cult
    The Cure
    The Rifles
    The Sex Pistols

alex222
    Free Member

Capdown
    Rancid
    NOFX

Maybe I just grew up a bit

stewartc
    Free Member

Seeing the Happy Mondays about 5 years ago was an experience so bad that I wished I had been as out of my head the first, and only other, time I saw then…..then I experienced a moment of clarity, what if they were just crap all along?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Count Zero – were you at the Brighton Calexico show? It was rather fantastic

cb

The Prodigy!

And I think Metallica are getting better with age…although I also rate Johnson as high as Bon Scott. Different but just as good.

Pigface
    Free Member

Metallica are getting better with age 😯

CountZero

grievoustim – Member

Count Zero – were you at the Brighton Calexico show? It was rather fantastic

Bristol, and yes, bloody marvellous!

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Bands who used to be good…..’ is closed to new replies.